Blues Prospects Camp

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Im very curious how dman Colton Parayko will do. A lot of people say he could be one of the steals of his draft eventually and will have a huge upcoming NCAA season in Alaska

gumption

Jun 28, 2014
St. Louis
was there today. recorded some of the goaltending practice and the shootout practice. parayko was good, but if any defenseman stood out to me, it was petteri lindbohm. guy has some filthy hands.

barbashev was pretty good too, but i think fabbri was a little nervous or offbeat. all the prospects have really hard shots, but some just need to work on their aim and not whiffing it so much.

all of them seemed to get along well which was good. i'd say we have a really great group of prospects.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
I'll be going tomorrow and will be taking my 8 month old to his first Blues outing. Pretty excited for him to see the team up close and personal. He'll have no idea whats happening, but he'll be entertained for at least a solid 6 minutes:sarcasm:. He already loves watching hockey, so it should be fun.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing Fabbri, Barabshev, Parayako and Schmaltz.

Is there anything other posters want a report on? I'll do my best to keep an eye out for certain players etc.? Ill do my best to pass along any pertinent info, but I have to also watch my Bubba:)

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I'll be going tomorrow and will be taking my 8 month old to his first Blues outing. Pretty excited for him to see the team up close and personal. He'll have no idea whats happening, but he'll be entertained for at least a solid 6 minutes:sarcasm:. He already loves watching hockey, so it should be fun.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing Fabbri, Barabshev, Parayako and Schmaltz.

Is there anything other posters want a report on? I'll do my best to keep an eye out for certain players etc.? Ill do my best to pass along any pertinent info, but I have to also watch my Bubba:)

Yeah the last one is pretty important :laugh: if you could just let me know how Fabbri, Barbashev and Rattie look that would be awesome! Oh and if you could keep a eye on Jaskin and let us know if his skating has started to show any improvement or not, that'd be great THANKS :)

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Could you keep an eye on Parayko? He really intrigues me.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box

Sammy Blaihs (64) draft virtual unknown but said to have some skill and Santeri Saari (80) never could find out much about him or how he was doing

I am really curious about Petteri Lindbohm as well as he may be the wild card in the whole outlook on defense in the near future. He was the Finns best player and captain at the junior championships.

First and foremost, watch the little guy!! :)

gumption

Jun 28, 2014
St. Louis
Sammy Blaihs (64) draft virtual unknown but said to have some skill and Santeri Saari (80) never could find out much about him or how he was doing

I am really curious about Petteri Lindbohm as well as he may be the wild card in the whole outlook on defense in the near future. He was the Finns best player and captain at the junior championships.

First and foremost, watch the little guy!! :)

regarding saari, all i know is that the blues had an eye on him, and were grateful they drafted him. he also excelled at SM-liiga's u20 leagues. i've read that he's an extremely raw talent, just needs some polishing.

with lindbohm, when i watched him, he has a pretty good shootout style. he scored on nearly every shootout attempt he got. was a pretty crafty guy.

parayko is MASSIVE up close, guy's a giant.

gumption

Jun 28, 2014
St. Louis
something i found regarding santeri saari:

"Saari is a big defenseman who is not an easy defenseman to play against; he hits very hard and has good positioining. His overall skill level is pretty good and he gives a good first pass out of the defensive zone. He plays a pretty simple game, but he has showed some offensive upside as well."

another snippet i found on him:
"Others to keep an eye on from Finland included big defenseman Santeri Saari of Jokerit who can play the game any way you want- physical, defensive minded or by moving the puck quickly."

and something i found on samuel blais:
"Not a very fluid skater but one who keeps his feet moving at all times, handles the puck very well in tight spaces and at top speeds. Displays solid passing abilities on either side and can usually get it to a teammate when in movement.”

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
Got to see a little bit of both sessions today, Bubbas nap time is normally 3 so I had to leave early.

Some of my initial impressions:

Lindbohm was the most impressive player on the ice in the first group. He was, IMO, the best defenseman out of both groups. He was a great skater, very smooth stride, fluid hips with great hands and a good shot. He's a big boy to boot! The first group did mostly small ice workouts and he was ALWAYS noticeable. Whether it was a good stick play, solid pass or pinpoint shot, he was capable of making all the plays. He looks like the closest of the bunch to making a NHL impact, definitely top 4 upside, I was thoroughly impressed.

Schmaltz lived up to his billing. Skilled skater, slick hands and could dance the line with the best of them. One could tell he has a very high hockey IQ and thought the game better than everyone out there with exception of Lindbohm. Can definitely see why Armstrong likes him as a top 4 defenseman, the offensive side is ready, but without contact, it was harder to notice is defensive game. Seemed like he was in good position mostly, strong stick and made quick transition passes. Looks like a first round pick, was the second best dman on the ice.

Saari was OK, bigger than I thought he was. Seems like a long shot to make the NHL roster anytime soon, was quite a bit behind the 2 horses in Lindbohm and Schmaltz. Decent skater, slower in decision making with the puck than the other 2 big guys in his group. But he was a 7th round pick and after watching him a little bit, it was definitely a good value at that point.

Lundstrom was the best goalie of the bunch, but that was a lot harder to judge in the drills because most of them didnt have a number on their jersey, so it was hard to tell the others apart.

Fabbri looks like the real deal. Great skater, great vision, ability to stick handle in a phone booth. Has laid a couple beauty saucer passes at full speed that lead to solid scoring chances. Didnt get to see him shoot often, he seemed more worried about making the pass first. Which is fine, just can't make any judgments on his shooting ability. He was noticeable small player, so that is a concern, but his skill was undeniable.

Barbashev honestly didn't really stand out very much, and believe me, I was looking for him. Unfortunately he was in the 2nd group and my bubba was getting fussy, so I didn't get to really watch him. What I could see was that he wasn't out of place, his skating was good, always had his head up and did make a few passes that were impressive. Wish I had more time to watch him, but it just didnt work out

Two suprises were Walman and Letunov. You can tell Walman was a forward, kid could skate and in 3 on 3 drills he was making a lot of plays and I had to remind myself that he was a defenseman. Letunov was a much better skater than reports suggest. Smooth long stride, very hard to get the puck off his stick, and every time there was an ohh play, he was the one who started it. I know a lot of experts thought he was a reach, but after watching him for just 20 minutes, I get why the Blues took him.

Parayako was HUGE. He was a decent skater, had good hands and a cannon for a shot. He was the best defender of the 2nd group, but I think he was quite a bit behind Schmaltz and Lindbohm.

Vanelli has a ways to go. Descheneau was a little waterbug out there, made a lot of high skill plays, but he is pretty tiny, so well see.

Cheers

BreakingBlues

Jul 8, 2014
Here is my take on today’s session:

I agree with the above poster that Petteri Lindbohm was the big standout from the first group. He was a big body but had surprising skills with the puck. He scored a couple of goals in the 3 on 3 scrimmage and didn’t look out of place in the offensive zone.

Schmaltz also looked really good. He skates really well and had great instincts and passing abilities in the offensive zone.

Nobody else in the first group really stood out other than an absolute laser into the top corner from Tesink in the scrimmage.

In the second group, there were quite a few more standouts on the offensive side.

Fabbri had quite the shot on him. He didn’t get a ton of shots off in the scrimmage but showed some great outside speed, burning one defenseman and scoring on a partial breakaway. In the drills, it took him a while to get going but he was able to show off his hard, accurate shot.

Barbashev looked pretty good out there as well. He made some great passes in the scrimmage that lead to prime scoring chances and showed off his two way play with some solid backchecking. He also had a nifty little between the legs shot in one of the drills.

Colton Parayko looked pretty solid as well. He’s a pretty big guy who skates well. I was impressed by his shot during the drills as he scored on a very high percentage of his attempts.

Jake Walman showed off his skating ability throughout the day. Also showed that he wasn’t afraid to play the body a bit when forwards came down one on one.

Sam Kurker looked pretty decent when he had the puck on his stick. He had a pretty good shot, although I think he hit the post more than he scored. I’m thinking the knock on him is probably his play without the puck based on what I saw today.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Thanks a lot guys for your insights. It is great to hear Lindbohm may be further along than anticipated. The Blues were super high on him last year saying he was a player to remember. Hopefully, we may be hearing his name alot come playoff time. His sandpaper style with a transition game is exactly what we need right now.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
What's the ETA on Lindbohm crossing over to N.A.? I've been assuming that he will spend next year in Finland.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I haven't made it to camp but Schmaltz looks noticeably thicker in the pictures the Blues posted on Facebook. Ask anyone in Sioux City about Schmaltz's commitment to off-ice conditioning and they'll tell you he was one of the worst conditioned players on the team. Granted he was very young at the time but questions about his work ethic persisted into his draft year and I've repeated many times that was a principal reason why he fell. He seems to have really matured off the ice and that is apparent in his body. He looks more like a man. Many of the off ice questions about Schmaltz appear to have been erased and the few questions about his on-ice game (balancing offense and defense, becoming tougher to play against) looked noticeably improved during the half a dozen ND games I caught last year. And he's getting great reviews from the fans who have attended. He could be a big time player within three years and an ideal theoretical internal replacement for Shattenkirk.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
What's the ETA on Lindbohm crossing over to N.A.? I've been assuming that he will spend next year in Finland.

We signed him last year, if I'm not mistaken? I thought they said he would play the year in Finland and then come over the next. My assumption was that this would be his first year across the pond. I could be wrong though.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
Went again today.

Schmaltz really stood out today. Super smooth with great offensive awareness.

Fabbri scored a beauty, kids got serious skill.

Barbashev looked really good too, so pumped we got him. He looks nhl ready

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Agreed.

Not that you can extrapolate much from a half assed scrimmage but Schmaltz and Fabbri were on another level.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Went again today.

Schmaltz really stood out today. Super smooth with great offensive awareness.

Fabbri scored a beauty, kids got serious skill.

Barbashev looked really good too, so pumped we got him. He looks nhl ready

I have a feeling that Fabri is going to be better than Schwartz and that is no knock on Schwartz either.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I am happy we have guys like Parayko and Edmundson in the system. They provide something I think we really need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad