Prospect Info: Blues Prospect Camp June 28-July 1st

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
One of our favorite off-season event is upon us, Prospect Camp! Here is the info according to Korac:

ST. LOUIS -- The Blues announced Monday their plans for the 2017 Prospect Camp.

Camp will take place at the Ice Zone practice facility at St. Louis Outlet Mall beginning Wed., June 28 through Sat., July 1.

All on-ice sessions are free and open to the public and camp times will get underway at 1 p.m. for goalies individual skill work, skater sessions at 2 p.m. and 3:45 p.m. There will be 4-on-4 and 3-on-3 scrimmage sessions beginning at 2:45 p.m. daily.

The Blues will announce more prospects to take part after this weekend's NHL Draft in Chicago but among those scheduled include teams split into two groups:

Known prospects that will be attending, will be updated as more are added:

Team Tkachuk members include:
G - Evan Fitzpatrick (2016 59th overall)
D - Niko Mikkola (2015 127th overall)
D - Grant Frederic (amateur invitee)
F - Adam Musil (2015 94th overall)
F - Filip Helt (2016 211th overall)
F - Dwyer Tschantz (2014 202nd overall)
F - Nolan Stevens (2016 125th overall)
F - Devin Brosseau (amateur invitee)

Team MacInnis members include:
G - Luke Opilka (2015 146th overall)
D - Jake Walman (2014 82nd overall)
F - Tage Thompson (2016 26th overall)
F - Jordan Kyrou (2016 35th overall)
F - Austin Poganski (2014 110th overall)
F - Tanner Kaspick (2016 119th overall)
F - Nikolaj Krag-Christensen (2016 209th overall) :handclap: Team NKC :handclap:

Should be another exciting camp and look forward to all the in-depth reports from those awesome members that go.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I'll be going Friday and Saturday this year, because I won't have the time to go everyday like I did last year.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Hopefully whoever attends will be able to give us some insight on our future #1C in Krag

Jordeau

Aug 8, 2014
St. Louis
I'll be going to at least one of the days, hopefully more. I'll be sure to write down some thoughts to share with those who can't attend.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Where's Dunn?

It seems like most guys with at least 1 pro year under their belt aren't coming to prospect camp. Blais, Barbashev, Husso, Bleackley, Dunn, Schmaltz, MacEachern, Vannelli, Selman, Lindbohm, Sergeev... none of them will be there. It's honestly a little surprising that Mikkola decided to come, but I'm glad he did. I suppose there's the tiniest margin of hope that he'll show up and knock everybody's socks off and play his way onto the team in the fall. I very much doubt it, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was his goal (and it should be).

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
It seems like most guys with at least 1 pro year under their belt aren't coming to prospect camp. Blais, Barbashev, Husso, Bleackley, Dunn, Schmaltz, MacEachern, Vannelli, Selman, Lindbohm, Sergeev... none of them will be there. It's honestly a little surprising that Mikkola decided to come, but I'm glad he did. I suppose there's the tiniest margin of hope that he'll show up and knock everybody's socks off and play his way onto the team in the fall. I very much doubt it, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was his goal (and it should be).

Mikkola has done contract already with Tappara, I think this is just to young kid get experience and taste of NA first time.
He's questionmark after coming concussion, but Blues can demand him to play if he wants to join in while he have made contract with Tappara?

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Mikkola has done contract already with Tappara, I think this is just to young kid get experience and taste of NA first time.
He's questionmark after coming concussion, but Blues can demand him to play if he wants to join in while he have made contract with Tappara?

Well he did play a handful of games post concussion. Likely he's coming to touch base with the Blues staff and just train/practice. Whether he's playing in Europe or NA it doesn't matter, both sides should check in on each other.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
From what I've seen of Mikkola, I think he could end up around if not better than top 4 Joel Edmundson. He's an excellent skater with a mean-streak, and he's actually pretty good at moving the puck. His shot is pretty good, and his slapper has power. He needs to just continue to round out his game and transition to the NA ice positionally, but I really think he's going to be good.

As for our young dmen, I see them panning out like this:

Top 2
Parayko

Dunn

Top 4
Walman

Mikkola
Edmundson

Schmaltz

Top 6
Lindbohm

Sergeev

Parayko will be our best, Dunn will be very good and a good #3/2, imo. I don't have a lot of faith in Schmaltz, but the reason I put him so far away from Ed and Mikkola is because I really think they're both going to be solid #3/4s. Walman has the potential to be a good OFD #2-4 - I'm really not sure where he'll end up as a ceiling. There's just so little difference between a #2 and #4 OFD in my opinion, and most of that is being able to play defense with subtle but important differences on offense. I've seen very little of Sergeev, but from what I've heard he's likely an AHLer - as is Lindbohm unless traded.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Well he did play a handful of games post concussion. Likely he's coming to touch base with the Blues staff and just train/practice. Whether he's playing in Europe or NA it doesn't matter, both sides should check in on each other.

Yeah, I don't believe Mikkola wants to come NA and be bench warmer or play limited icetime, 'cus we've so messy situtation in AHL so he'll stay in Finland.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I think that Blais, Husso, Bleackley, Dunn, MacEachern, Vannelli, Selman, Lindbohm, and Sergeev should be there, too, just for Blues' management to see where they are at this point in their careers, and in preparedness for this coming season. I realise that the players that had been playing with The Wolves near the end of last season's playoffs were seen recently. But, many of them may have been working out and possibly working on skating and/or skills since then.

I am especially interested in seeing how Husso, Mikkola, Adam Musil, Filip Helt, Luke Opilka, Jake Walman, Tage Thompson, Jordan Kyrou and Nikolaj Krag-Christensen do. I'd also like to see them all play in The Traverse City Tournament (even with Dunn, Blais, Sergeev, Vanelli and MacEachern added in).

But, alas, I know that several of both groups will be missing from both Mini-Camp, and the tournament. I hope that Husso will be able to play in The AHL, and not return to Finland. Too bad Mikkola will return to Finland (it seems).

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
I still remember at camp when Mikkola threw a hit at Parayko and bounced off him and flew onto his back as Parayko kept rolling

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Now that Copley is gone what is Husso's projection?

There is no icetime in Wolves so he'll go back to the beer league, 'cus LV and Blues share Wolves next year.

If things would be normal he would play majority AHL starts and even get call-up in NHL. Husso is same tract what Saros, but difference is ****** affliate team vs. good affliate team. Milwaukee develope all the time good NHL players while in Wolves they regress or get dumped to beer league, 'cus logjam.

Husso could be in some day in other NHL team and right develpung system NHL starter, in Blues he'll be AHL fringe. Eventually he'll back his **** and come back to Europe, KHL.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
There is no icetime in Wolves so he'll go back to the beer league, 'cus LV and Blues share Wolves next year.

If GMGM takes a boat load of prospects then we will need to find or create a new AHL dance partner. The Wolves organization is not going to be our best of friends. This relationship can not be good for the Blues. Army said he has an announcement coming up on this. I hope we can have our own AHL affiliate.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

If things would be normal he would play majority AHL starts and even get call-up in NHL. Husso is same tract what Saros, but difference is ****** affliate team vs. good affliate team. Milwaukee develope all the time good NHL players while in Wolves they regress or get dumped to beer league, 'cus logjam.

Husso could be in some day in other NHL team and right develpung system NHL starter, in Blues he'll be AHL fringe. Eventually he'll back his **** and come back to Europe, KHL.

I've seen some mocks that have Las Vegas taking Subban as their AHL goalie, and if that's the case, then Husso is clearly better than him, imo, and will get the majority of the starts (or at least ~35-40). We'll know more later tonight, but he will be fine.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I think that Blais, Husso, Bleackley, Dunn, MacEachern, Vannelli, Selman, Lindbohm, and Sergeev should be there, too, just for Blues' management to see where they are at this point in their careers, and in preparedness for this coming season. I realise that the players that had been playing with The Wolves near the end of last season's playoffs were seen recently. But, many of them may have been working out and possibly working on skating and/or skills since then.

I am especially interested in seeing how Husso, Mikkola, Adam Musil, Filip Helt, Luke Opilka, Jake Walman, Tage Thompson, Jordan Kyrou and Nikolaj Krag-Christensen do. I'd also like to see them all play in The Traverse City Tournament (even with Dunn, Blais, Sergeev, Vanelli and MacEachern added in).

But, alas, I know that several of both groups will be missing from both Mini-Camp, and the tournament. I hope that Husso will be able to play in The AHL, and not return to Finland. Too bad Mikkola will return to Finland (it seems).

Guys in that first group will still likely stop by a time or two during the summer to meet with the coaches and strength and conditioning staff. They won't be showcased in a public camp but the Blues keep an eye on these guys.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I've seen some mocks that have Las Vegas taking Subban as their AHL goalie, and if that's the case, then Husso is clearly better than him, imo, and will get the majority of the starts (or at least ~35-40). We'll know more later tonight, but he will be fine.

That's best case sceario, but if thing doesn't go like the movies. What about if LV wanna develope their own prospects not other teams? So what if Husso is better, we saw it didn't happend in right away in Blues. :laugh: ****ing crazy bills time here what??

Saying Husso will get 35-40 starts its horrendous predict. I think in best scenario he'll get around ~10-15max, but I think he'll get send down to beer league.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
That's best case sceario, but if thing doesn't go like the movies. What about if LV wanna develope their own prospects not other teams? So what if Husso is better, we saw it didn't happend in right away in Blues. :laugh: ****ing crazy bills time here what??

Saying Husso will get 35-40 starts its horrendous predict. I think in best scenario he'll get around ~10-15max, but I think he'll get send down to beer league.

Well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

"So what" is that the Wolves have said, explicitly, that that's not what they're into. They want to win. If Husso is better, he will play, regardless of what Vegas wants to do with their goalie. The same way that Climie played (a lot) more games than Binnington a few years ago. The doom and gloom just doesn't seem called for.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
So who is going to this? I originally couldn't until Friday and Saturday, but because I'm in-between jobs now, I can go everyday. So I'll be providing my look at all prospects in attendance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad