What's your opinion of polls?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Talbot will have a big game tonight I think. Fingers crossed anyway. Lucic will also nearly score a goal.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

Puljujarvi, you've played good the past few games. Back to the fourth line you go.

lol that defense though.

How does Chiarelli have a job with that defense he's built.

Its like hes purposely trying to hold this team back. I mean in 4 years he hasn't found better depth then Benning, Gravel, Garrison, Jones from the AHL. Sekera has been down for 2 years basically
Klefbom is made of glass and Larsson has an offensive IQ of a beer leaguer. That leaves Nurse .... :laugh:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
lol that defense though.

How does Chiarelli have a job with that defense he's built.

Its like hes purposely trying to hold this team back. I mean in 4 years he hasn't found better depth then Benning, Gravel, Garrison, Jones from the AHL. Sekera has been down for 2 years basically
Klefbom is made of glass and Larsson has an offensive IQ of a beer leaguer. That leaves Nurse .... :laugh:

Seriously?

Take a look at our defense when Chia took over and take away the top 3 dmen from that group.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
oilers-roster-2015-04-27-d1.png

Thats what Chia took over with.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Seriously?

Take a look at our defense when Chia took over and take away the top 3 dmen from that group.

To be fair, I suggest it is moreso take away 3 of the top 5 dmen.

Game 82 of that season had a d-corps of Keith Aulie, Brandon Davidson, Oscar Klefbom, Martin Marincin, David Musil, Justin Schultz.

The defense that year sorted by ice time were:
Schultz
Fayne
Ference
Klefbom
Petry (traded by end of year)
Nikitin
Marincin
Aulie
Hunt
Davidson
Oesterle
Musil
Nurse

So basically that Game 82 defense would be a comparable situation to today (short Fayne, Ference, Petry, Nikitin)

Game 1 under Chiarelli has this top 6
Klefbom
Schultz
Sekera
Reinhart
Gryba
Fayne

where Nurse, Davidson, Oesterle contributed the most minutes that year outside the starting six, so a comparable starting group short three of the top five would be Shultz, Reinhart, rookie Nurse, Gryba, Davidson, Oesterle (unless you want to reinsert Nikitin or Ference into two of those spots as they did play a few ineffective games that year)

I think this group is marginally better with more experience, but it's not by a lot. That in itself is damning considering what assets have gone out vs. come in with the goal of improving the defense. Granted, any team in the NHL missing three of their top 5 would have a rag-tag group of defense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad