Blues @ Oilers| 8pm, BSMW|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
i agree. they need to do what they did with allen and send the guy home for a bit. hes beyond bad at this point and his confidence is shattered. his contract will easily surpass lehtera's, chris stewart, brad boyes etc as the worst of the army era.

im not sure exactly what happened to him but ever since the bubble hes been a total mess and headcase.
One thing was pretty clear.... Binnington was a complete unknown to opposing teams and hadn't really been scouted at all by them, as he wasn't even their top minor league goalie at the start of 2018-19. He rose to the occasion during The Blues stretch run, because he had built up a lot of confidence, playing well from the start, because his teammates played really hard for him because they were desperate to salvage their season after starting off so badly, and the fact that he was so low down on their goalie depth chart, they figured he'd need all the help he could get. In addition, there was little pressure on him, because The Blues were last in The League standings when he joined, and there was little hope they would do much that year to get back into the race. He rode that confidence all the way to The Cup. At the start of the next season, the opposing teams had more than half a season's games played by Binnington to watch on film, and they discovered his weakness high on the glove side, and his habits, when he comes out of the net, and how far, how he likes to "cheat" on sealing off the post, etc., and they took advantage of those weaknesses, and knowing his habits. So, his stats the season after fell somewhat. He lost confidence after that, and his stats have lowered each succeeding season. I don't understand why his confidence got so low as it is now. But, The Blues can't afford to lose chances to get points.

Last edited:

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Whoever we decide to go with tomorrow night, you have to think Husso gets 10-11 starts out of the remaining 14 games after that. Binnington gets NYI on the 9th, NSH on the 17th, and then either ARI or ANA on the 23rd/24th. Maybe you give Binner the net in Boston on the 12th because he's had a pretty good game in that building before, but that depends on how he looks against the NYI. Husso should 100% be getting the start in both games against MIN and I would be very disappointed if he didn't. Those games are simply too important. If Binnington plays really well for a game, maybe see if you can ride him a little bit to rest Husso some more, because he's your guy for game 1 of the playoffs.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Well that Binnington contract is looking like a yikes. Don't think we can move it in the offseason so hopefully he can bounce back the rest of the season and play better next season

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
without chucky sideburns, this team is on the outside of the playoffs, looking in. what ever did he do to deserve being demoted for the play of binner btw? can you justify that move?

do you enjoy scoring 5 goals a night when he plays and still losing all because the front office will not do the proper thing and send him away to work on his game and give his ice time to a goaltender who deserves it and can clearly perform?
I'm not disagreeing that he saved our bacon on four occasions months ago. He deserves his due credit for that. I just think bringing a guy back who has been relatively average since then in the AHL and expecting him to once again be equal to playing over his head in the thick of a playoff push is a subjective misunderstanding of the function of the position and what it entails.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I'm not disagreeing that he saved our bacon on four occasions months ago. He deserves his due credit for that. I just think bringing a guy back who has been relatively average since then in the AHL and expecting him to once again be equal to playing over his head in the thick of a playoff push is a subjective misunderstanding of the function of the position and what it entails.

I mean, he is 20-4-1 with a 2.27 GAA and .922 SV% down there. Much better numbers than Hofer currently.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Didn’t we call up a rookie in December a few years back and we wound up winning the Cup?

Stop thinking logically. This is the Blues, they defy logic because they excel when they feel it and Chucky makes them feel it and ‘goes to war’ with them.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
According to Bortuzzo, The Blues like him a lot, and will play their hardest in front of him. His inspired efforts at The NHL level, so far, have been a LOT better than a roughly average NHL goalie at normal times, who has completely lost all his confidence. The Blues only have a few back-to-back games left. So, what would be the harm? Husso is playing adequately, and could play almost all the standalone day games. When The playoffs start, and the rosters are extended, they could bring Binnington back as back-up. And if Husso has a bad game Berube could try Binnington again.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Stop stat watching. Using +/- for your Insane anti-Faulk&Krug conquest is insanity. Dude is our #1 defenseman. You are the only person who has this insane hatred for Faulk because you deemed him trash his first year here

To be fair, Faulk was really bad in this game. I think Van Ryn/Berube is spreading out the tough minutes a bit with Krug out. I haven't dug into the stats to prove this. But it seems like Faulk/Scandella are getting tougher minutes than Faulk/Krug did. I don't think Faulk is good enough defensively to handle that. Don't get me wrong, he has been good most the year, but I think he thrives more as the more defensive player on a highly offensive pair that is getting offensive minutes. He has been in that role for most of the year, but it has forced Parayko and his partner to carry a huge defensive load. With Leddy partnering with Parayko and Krug out, things have shifted a bit making Parayko look better but Faulk look much, much worse.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
To be fair, Faulk was really bad in this game. I think Van Ryn/Berube is spreading out the tough minutes a bit with Krug out. I haven't dug into the stats to prove this. But it seems like Faulk/Scandella are getting tougher minutes than Faulk/Krug did. I don't think Faulk is good enough defensively to handle that. Don't get me wrong, he has been good most the year, but I think he thrives more as the more defensive player on a highly offensive pair that is getting offensive minutes. He has been in that role for most of the year, but it has forced Parayko and his partner to carry a huge defensive load. With Leddy partnering with Parayko and Krug out, things have shifted a bit making Parayko look better but Faulk look much, much worse.
I'm not saying he wasn't bad this game. But attacking him after every bad game using +/- as your main argument while completely ignoring his good games is insanity. We need Krug back, for some weird unbelievable reason the Krug-Faulk pair just works. Idk why it works, it honestly shouldn't work, but it does.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'm not saying he wasn't bad this game. But attacking him after every bad game using +/- as your main argument while completely ignoring his good games is insanity. We need Krug back, for some weird unbelievable reason the Krug-Faulk pair just works. Idk why it works, it honestly shouldn't work, but it does.
They think game same way. Read off each other really well.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Binnington and Husso are nearly identical on low danger and medium danger save percentage. Ville’s been absolutely brilliant on high danger chances, .795 save percentage. Best in the NHL among starters. Binnington has been right around average at .668. That’s basically the entire difference between the two. It’s why Ville is sitting at top ten in goals saved above expected and Jordan bottom ten.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Binnington and Husso are nearly identical on low danger and medium danger save percentage. Ville’s been absolutely brilliant on high danger chances, .795 save percentage. Best in the NHL among starters. Binnington has been right around average at .668. That’s basically the entire difference between the two. It’s why Ville is sitting at top ten in goals saved above expected and Jordan bottom ten.

It's sad our team gives up such a large amount of high danger.

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
I was at the game last night & I was surprised how many Blues fans were present. I was very happy we made it to over time. It was not looking so good when the game was 4-1. Buchnevich, Parayko & Husso all had really good games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad