GDT: Blues @ Kings| TNT, TNT App| 9pm|

Status
Not open for further replies.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Neal has been completely underwhelming in my opinion and pretty much is what people on the main boards predicted. I can't believe he suits up for more than 50 games with the Blues this year barring a lot of Covid/injuries. The guy has no real zip left in his game. I only hope he turns it around quickly.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Yeah I'm not sure why we didn't just slide Schenn up with Saad and Perron and put Thomas with Buch and Kyrou. Thomas is likely a better fit for that line anyway.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Neal has been completely underwhelming in my opinion and pretty much is what people on the main boards predicted. I can't believe he suits up for more than 50 games with the Blues this year barring a lot of Covid/injuries. The guy has no real zip left in his game. I only hope he turns it around quickly.

Yep...Kostin & Neighbors have each shown more. When ROR returns, you've got to think Neal is the odd-man out. He and Clifford can keep the dressing room fun, but they're assistance on the ice should not be required.

Kostin has filled the Blais role very nicely; and I don't think anyone is unhappy with a Neighbors for Sanford swap.

Reactions: 67Blues

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Perron just doesn't seem to mesh with Kyrou, that line needs to be separated.

Buchnevich has been incredibly underwhelming, seems like he can't handle the puck cleanly or even make a tape to tape pass.

If Thomas learned that shooting is allowed in hockey then he could be such a more effective player.

Hell of a game by Krug. On the other hand, Walman is not doing himself any favors to start the season. Perunovich must be licking his lips right now.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
This is going to be unpopular here, but under no circumstances should we be keeping Neighbours here over Neal. Despite his production, Neighbours's overall work has not been up to NHL caliber, which is why he's -3 despite having 2 points, as well being the lowest player on the team in basically every metric. Neighbours should go back to jr and work on the offensive side of his game.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I was only able to half-focus on the game last night and it was a pretty easy game to tune out.

With that said, the doom and gloom in this thread is ridiculous. We're 1-1-1 without our captain/1C who is overwhelmingly considered the best player on the team and some people are acting like the team is in a complete free fall. We've played the fewest games of all Central Division teams and are sitting in 1st place. The "unacceptable" stretch of play has led to a .500 points percentage, which is the current season-long points percentage of the Avs. The Kings haven't been some bottom feeder team this season that you should expect to beat every night. They are 3-3-1 with a +4 goal differential against all opponents but the Blues. We took 5 of 6 points from them to push them to 4-5-1 and a -2 differential overall.

No matter what happens tonight, we will still be in 1st place in the Central tomorrow morning with the same number of games played as the two teams that are on our heels. We're treading water until ROR gets back and banking points in the season's 4th week. Acting like these games have predictive value on the future is beyond absurd.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
This is going to be unpopular here, but under no circumstances should we be keeping Neighbours here over Neal. Despite his production, Neighbours's overall work has not been up to NHL caliber, which is why he's -3 despite having 2 points, as well being the lowest player on the team in basically every metric. Neighbours should go back to jr and work on the offensive side of his game.
I don't disagree with the analysis, but I disagree that the sample we have so far is enough to say that we shouldn't keep him here over Neal under any circumstances.

Neal is building a bigger and bigger sample size that he is finished as an NHL caliber player. He wasn't an NHL caliber player last season and hasn't shown any improvement this year in regular season games. The ultimate goal is to build the best team by the start of the playoffs. The odds of Neal being better in April than he is today are getting extremely slim. The odds are pretty good that Neighbours will be a better player in April than he is today. If the team thinks that Neighbours will develop better by working with NHL staff and practicing with NHL players than he will by dominating junior, then there is a good argument that keeping him over Neal creates a better team in April.

Regardless, for me this debate isn't very important. I keep Neal over Clifford ten times out of ten. He's $250k cheaper against the cap, I don't think Clifford would get claimed on waivers, and if he does get claimed then I'm fine with our team depth without him. If I were in charge of the decision, I'm trying to make a decision about Neighbours vs Clifford. I think that Neal playing 7 games vs Clifford's 2 indicates that the coaching staff also values Neal more than Clifford.

Last edited:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Didn’t Bozak used to be the only guy in the league better than Oshie in the shootout? Where was he last night?

Reactions: Vektor

Vektor

Jun 11, 2018
Didn’t Bozak used to be the only guy in the league better than Oshie in the shootout? Where was he last night?
I asked myself the same thing last night. I sigh everytime Tarasenko tries to make a move instead of just letting it rip on a shootout attempt. Would have rather seen Bozak than him or Schenn.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I don't disagree with the analysis, but I disagree that the sample we have so far is enough to say that we shouldn't keep him here over Neal under any circumstances.

Neal is building a bigger and bigger sample size that he is finished as an NHL caliber player. He wasn't an NHL caliber player last season and hasn't shown any improvement this year in regular season games. The ultimate goal is to build the best team by the start of the playoffs. The odds of Neal being better in April than he is today are getting extremely slim. The odds are pretty good that Neighbours will be a better player in April than he is today. If the team thinks that Neighbours will develop better by working with NHL staff and practicing with NHL players than he will by dominating junior, then there is a good argument that keeping him over Neal creates a better team in April.

Regardless, for me this debate isn't very important. I keep Neal over Clifford ten times out of ten. He's $250k cheaper against the cap, I don't think Clifford would get claimed on waivers, and if he does get claimed then I'm fine with our team depth without him. If I were in charge of the decision, I'm trying to make a decision about Neighbours vs Clifford.

I'd still pick Clifford over Neighbours. There's something to be said about his sample, sure, but we've used up two thirds of what we can play him for and this is what he has to show for it. He's already done more than anyone was expecting at this point, and should be able to use his experience as motivation for the future. Rolling over Neighbours's ELC provides us more value than he does on the ice this year, and his AHL eligibility comes too late for me to really see that as an option. We could hold onto him until the WJC, but I generally err on the side of playing time for younger guys than staying in the pressbox. That's something for our scouts & development team to determine and is well beyond what I'd consider my realm of knowledge.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
If Neighbours were AHL eligible, I'd completely agree that he should be in Springfield logging meaningful minutes. But he isn't and then you have to ask yourself how much development will be get playing in Juniors versus staying with the team and gaining valuable experience? This guy isn't going to be a superstar, so burning a year of his ELC isn't going to cost that much but picking up a year of NHL caliber coaching is much more important to his career path than dominating a meaningless season in Juniors. I'd be perfectly happy if Neighbours played in 25-30 games this year. If he keeps improving, then bully for him.

I'd also rather see Mac Mac, McGing, or Stevens up here than Neal. At least they would bring some drive to their games.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I remember how lost Jaden Schwartz was for 30 games and can see how much more comfortable Neighbors looks than Schwartz did early on. I don't think going back to junior helps Neighbors even a little, and if he spends the next 6-months learning how to be a pro and find what works and what doesn't at the NHL level, he could be very valuable as a depth-piece in another Cup run; as Thomas was as a 19 year old.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Is Perron one of them? Who is the other?
im-coming-fred-sanford.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad