Blues hire Jim Montgomery as an assistant coach

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Its player failure not strategy problem.

We are in 35 games 23rd spot at PP with 18.6%

Ofc this isnt Montgomery problem, but we are 26th at PK with 76.6%

Good team should have around 100 if you ad PP + PK, but we get only 93.2.

And we aren't allowed to criticize our PP coach Montgomery. @Brockon

There are several ways a power play can fail, it seems to me.

One way, the most frustrating, is to be unable to get the puck in the offensive zone. Who is carrying the puck up ice for us in the first unit? Dunn is fast and elusive. Krug doesn't seem to be.

You lose valuable power play time if you lose the faceoffs to start the power play. I am assuming that O'Reilly is taking those draws, and is winning his share.

I suppose the heart of the matter is what we do with the puck in the offensive zone. For several years, the Blues power play was mainly Shattenkirk shooting from the point, and Backes screening the goalie and deflecting shots and jumping on rebounds. It worked often enough to give us a decent power play.

But shooting from the point is taking the play the defense gives you. It's a low percentage play. You would hope for more puck movement and shots from forwards.

The only other consistent power play success I remember from recent years was Brad Boyes setting up on left wing and shooting one-timers. But opponents seemed to figured out how to defend it after a season.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
There are several ways a power play can fail, it seems to me.

One way, the most frustrating, is to be unable to get the puck in the offensive zone. Who is carrying the puck up ice for us in the first unit? Dunn is fast and elusive. Krug doesn't seem to be.

You lose valuable power play time if you lose the faceoffs to start the power play. I am assuming that O'Reilly is taking those draws, and is winning his share.

I suppose the heart of the matter is what we do with the puck in the offensive zone. For several years, the Blues power play was mainly Shattenkirk shooting from the point, and Backes screening the goalie and deflecting shots and jumping on rebounds. It worked often enough to give us a decent power play.

But shooting from the point is taking the play the defense gives you. It's a low percentage play. You would hope for more puck movement and shots from forwards.

The only other consistent power play success I remember from recent years was Brad Boyes setting up on left wing and shooting one-timers. But opponents seemed to figured out how to defend it after a season.
Our PP is 20.5% going back to the lockout shortened season of 2012/13. That's 5th best in the league over the last 600+ games. You are talking about our PP as if they have historically just settled for low percentage plays and simply been "decent." Our PP has finished top ten in 6 of the last 8 years. It was garbage in 2017/18 (30th) and above average in 2012/13 (12th). It was top 5 in the league twice in that stretch and then the other finishes were 6th, 7th, 8th and 10th.

Our PP has had very consistent PP success, has consistently been good-to-very-good and a 600+ game sample is more than enough to comfortably say that it wasn't just getting lucky.

Reactions: Ranksu

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Our PP is 20.5% going back to the lockout shortened season of 2012/13. That's 5th best in the league over the last 600+ games. You are talking about our PP as if they have historically just settled for low percentage plays and simply been "decent." Our PP has finished top ten in 6 of the last 8 years. It was garbage in 2017/18 (30th) and above average in 2012/13 (12th). It was top 5 in the league twice in that stretch and then the other finishes were 6th, 7th, 8th and 10th.

Our PP has had very consistent PP success, has consistently been good-to-very-good and a 600+ game sample is more than enough to comfortably say that it wasn't just getting lucky.

A sample size of 600+ games for your percentage gives you a highly inaccurate number.

What is the difference in percentage from 2019 until now? I bet that percentage is pretty shocking.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
A sample size of 600+ games for your percentage gives you a highly inaccurate number.

What is the difference in percentage from 2019 until now? I bet that percentage is pretty shocking.
Highly inaccurate in what context? Your post was talking about how we haven't had more than a decent PP strategy for years and you went back to the Shatty/Backes days and then the Brad Boyes days to illustrate that point. My response was about our PP success since the departure of Boyes, through the Shatty/Backes days and up to today.

So in what sense is examining the PP effectiveness through those years an inaccurate number?

I'm not claiming that the PP is good this season (although it has been 29% for the last month). I'm arguing that the PP has been very good way more often than it has simply been decent (or worse) over the last 8+ years.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Highly inaccurate in what context? Your post was talking about how we haven't had more than a decent PP strategy for years and you went back to the Shatty/Backes days and then the Brad Boyes days to illustrate that point. My response was about our PP success since the departure of Boyes, through the Shatty/Backes days and up to today.

So in what sense is examining the PP effectiveness through those years an inaccurate number?

I'm not claiming that the PP is good this season (although it has been 29% for the last month). I'm arguing that the PP has been very good way more often than it has simply been decent (or worse) over the last 8+ years.

That wasn’t my post.

Reactions: Brian39

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
A team with a very good power play has a success rate of 25% or more.

The power play I admired the most over the years was the Islanders' teams of the early 1980s. Why were they so good? Was it coaching or was it having three Hall of Famers
on the ice with Clark Gilles on most of their power plays?

I say it takes great high end talent to have a great power play. And lately, we haven't had it.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Its player failure not strategy problem.

We are in 35 games 23rd spot at PP with 18.6%

Ofc this isnt Montgomery problem, but we are 26th at PK with 76.6%

Good team should have around 100 if you ad PP + PK, but we get only 93.2.

And we aren't allowed to criticize our PP coach Montgomery. @Brockon

You were crying the sky was falling after 5 games played... I said you should give Montgomery a chance to implement his system and have players become accustomed to it before you started calling him a failure as assistant coach. Specifically I recall saying give him 10-15 games to work with before holding him accountable.

There's no need to tag me in every single post now. We got a sample size and have seen what Monty is doing with our personnel.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
You were crying the sky was falling after 5 games played... I said you should give Montgomery a chance to implement his system and have players become accustomed to it before you started calling him a failure as assistant coach. Specifically I recall saying give him 10-15 games to work with before holding him accountable.

There's no need to tag me in every single post now. We got a sample size and have seen what Monty is doing with our personnel.
Well can you re-evaluate Montgomery and how has been work out for Blues?

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
weren't we terrible last time we had two head coaches at the helm? yeo and hitch, now berube and monty

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
weren't we terrible last time we had two head coaches at the helm? yeo and hitch, now berube and monty
Monty only runs the PP as far as I know, and he's not coaching from the bench either like when hitch and yeo were running the show

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Well can you re-evaluate Montgomery and how has been work out for Blues?
Seeing as I haven't been able to watch a game in 6 weeks because of my work schedule, no I can't. I've got highlight reels to go off - that's decidedly skewed information to build an opinion off.

I've been working a blend of afternoon /night yard shifts and overnight trips where I'm out of town for 30+ hours with no access to WiFi or cable to watch games.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The power play was two for two last night . And we have power play goals in eight straight games.

I would say they have figured it out. And who is scoring on the power play lately? Hoffman! The man that didn't get traded at the deadline. Thanks for not giving up on the team, Armstrong!

All is forgiven ( by me, anyway) Jim Montgomery.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Half? Maybe retake a math class. 7th out of 18, plus extras. For a guy coming off of his 3rd shoulder surgery, being 7th on the team in P/60 isn't too bad.

Maybe retake an English class because the word like =/= an exact amount, plus the lol should have told you that the statement was posted in jest.

If I wanted -real- math, I'd ask where the Blues top player in this category sat on average with the rest of the league and then the division because I think that number wouldn't be so flattering on Tarasenko but it would be a bit more accurate.

It's the kind of statistic a bottom-dweller team would be pulling out to add value to a player they want to trade off. One team's best player doesn't always = a solid player in general.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Maybe retake an English class because the word like =/= an exact amount, plus the lol should have told you that the statement was posted in jest.

If I wanted -real- math, I'd ask where the Blues top player in this category sat on average with the rest of the league and then the division because I think that number wouldn't be so flattering on Tarasenko but it would be a bit more accurate.

It's the kind of statistic a bottom-dweller team would be pulling out to add value to a player they want to trade off. One team's best player doesn't always = a solid player in general.

You missed the point. Its that Tarasenko is producing something at 5v5 which is more valuable to the team than the worthless poster who tried to knock him. I guess it makes sense you TRIED so hard to come to his rescue. Like defends like, and you both add about the same to the board. Hey, look, I do know how to use that word.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad