OT: Blues get Bouwmeester

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I don't think JayBo is better than Voynov or Seidenberg.

For that matter we know what both Scuderi and Seidenberg bring in the playoffs and that is a lot. Orpik is fading but I trust him and Paul Martin was having a great year, but the point is JayBo since Florida days isn't a great offensive d-man so who do you score him against. As a stay at home guy he isn't great, and he isn't great offensively. He is stuck in a kind of no mans land where people pretend he will put it together. Playing with Pieterangelo might be the greatest thing that will ever happen for him, because he needs someone to prop him up if the team is going to be effective.

i 100% agree with what you're saying

i simply think very few dman in the league are capable of playing 30 mins a night, in all situations, against the best players in the league(jaybo is constantly top 5 for TOI and time matching up against opponets top lines).

anyhow i am fighting losing battle here it seems so we will just leave it at that

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
So St. Louis gets a 4th rounder if St. Louis misses the playoffs this year and their first next year?

Thank god this wasn't us.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
I didnt want to trade for him just cause I always hate trading prospects. That said I want some of what you people are smoking, all this talk that he isnt a good defenseman? really? Living a calgary I see all the flames games and he would EASILY be the best defenseman on detroit. Yes the cap hit isnt great, but seriously unless you have seen alot of him, dont talk about what you dont know. Alot of people here seem to not watch him, just look at the cap hit and his stats.

RedWingsNow*

it was umm, the price we gave to get Quincey...

hmmmm quincey or jaybo?

Geez/
I didn't want Bouwmeester, because of the makeup of our team. But my God.

Holland pays a first for a mediocre defenseman that he gave away for free.

St. Louis picks up Leopold and Bouwmeester.

RedWingsNow*

Bouwmeester is better than every Red Wings defenseman.

We have too many soft, lefty D, so I was opposed to the 'first + Prospect + roster player."

But if we could have traded KQ and a first for Bouwmeester ... wow. I make that move EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Bouwmeester is better than every Red Wings defenseman.

We have too many soft, lefty D, so I was opposed to the 'first + Prospect + roster player."

But if we could have traded KQ and a first for Bouwmeester ... wow. I make that move EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK.

You really think Holland is going to trade Kyle Quincey?

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Well, I wasn't sure that I wanted him at first but if we could have had him for say a 1st + Patersson and Jensen it'd be hard to say no.

Oh well.. St. Louis is absolutely stacked on D now. Will the J-Bo no-playoff curse follow? :laugh:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I didnt want to trade for him just cause I always hate trading prospects. That said I want some of what you people are smoking, all this talk that he isnt a good defenseman? really? Living a calgary I see all the flames games and he would EASILY be the best defenseman on detroit. Yes the cap hit isnt great, but seriously unless you have seen alot of him, dont talk about what you dont know. Alot of people here seem to not watch him, just look at the cap hit and his stats.

I have seen a decent amount of JayBo and I have to say he does a lot of the same gaffs as Kronwall with little of the offensive output or feel in the O zone. Does a lot of screening of his own goalie and getting stuck with curious head scratchers and soft passes from time to time. He is not easily better than him, in fact I give Kronwall a slight edge because he at least knows his game and is an offensive d-man. JayBo is a minutes eater that is what he does, but he doesn't really excel at any one discipline. You can see skills that you would think indicate someday he will excel at something besides skating forever and never getting hurt, but they have just never come.

Chevrier

Mar 4, 2011
Toronto
It all came down to the 1st, despite Jay Feaster really liking Reto Berra enough to justify including him in the trade for Bouwmeester. The price was insanely low. For that price, how could you resist?

RedWingsNow*

I have seen a decent amount of JayBo and I have to say he does a lot of the same gaffs as Kronwall with little of the offensive output or feel in the O zone. Does a lot of screening of his own goalie and getting stuck with curious head scratchers and soft passes from time to time. He is not easily better than him, in fact I give Kronwall a slight edge because he at least knows his game and is an offensive d-man. JayBo is a minutes eater that is what he does, but he doesn't really excel at any one discipline. You can see skills that you would think indicate someday he will excel at something besides skating forever and never getting hurt, but they have just never come.

It really depends what you want from him.

if you want him to be your offensive guy and give him 4-5 minutes a night on the PP, you'll get a 15G, 45 to 50 PT guy.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Best news I've heard in a while. Finally an end the the Bouwmeester to Detroit rumors.

I think Jbo will do fine in St. Louis especially now that he will be playing in his proper #3 roster spot, but I also wouldn't be shocked to see the Blues miss the playoffs.

Even more so now that Halak is injured again.

RedWingsNow*

Best news I've heard in a while. Finally an end the the Bouwmeester to Detroit rumors.

I think Jbo will do fine in St. Louis especially now that he will be playing in his proper #3 roster spot, but I also wouldn't be shocked to see the Blues miss the playoffs.

Even more so now that Halak is injured again.

What's so great about Bouwmeester rumors ending?

You think the Red Wings should just go limping into the playoffs with a roster full of ****?

RedWingsNow*

Jay Feaster is a truly pathetic manager. I feel sorry for Calgary fans.

I feel bad for Wings fans.
We have a GM who can't figure out how to rip off the biggest idiot in the league.

I loved Reto Berra as a prospect back in 2005... but seriously...
The Blues are one of those teams, like LA, that could walk in as an eight seed and march tot he cup.

A couple days a couple Red Wings fans were bragging about how we had 9 NHL defensemen :lol

They need to look at the Blues roster.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
What's so great about Bouwmeester rumors ending?

You think the Red Wings should just go limping into the playoffs with a roster full of ****?

As opposed to getting Bouwmeester and limping out of them with a roster full of more expensive ****?

mukluks

Oct 18, 2011
I find it kind quite amusing that our GM was by all accounts in on the Bouwmeester sweepstakes yet many posters are laughing at St. Louis/dreiding Bouwmester. Could have been us quite easily. I wonder what the reaction would have been then.

RedWingsNow*

As opposed to getting Bouwmeester and limping out of them with a roster full of more expensive ****?

Say the Wings traded Quincey + 1st + Paterson or McCollum for Bouwmeester...

You don't see the massive improvement there?

I thought Bouwmeester would cost a first + Nyquist and a roster player like White or Quincey.

I personally think Bouwmeester is better than any defenseman on our roster.

At the very least, he's comparable to Kronwall.

Which is MILES ahead of Kyle Clueless.

So if you make that deal ...
Kronwall Ericsson
Bouwmeester Kindl
Colaiacovo Dekeyser/Smith
White

Now you can turn around and ship Nyquist + Cleary + White or Lashoff for Gabroik.

Now, i don't know, because you never answered the question ... but do you want the team to get better this year? If not, do you support selling off assets?

Or, are you just waiting around to support whatever Ken Holland does or doesn't do?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

I thought Bouwmeester would cost a first + Nyquist and a roster player like White or Quincey.

Kronwall Ericsson
Bouwmeester Kindl
White

Now you can turn around and ship Nyquist + Cleary + White or Lashoff for Gabroik.

Now, i don't know, because you never answered the question ... but do you want the team to get better this year? If not, do you support selling off assets?

Or, are you just waiting around to support whatever Ken Holland does or doesn't do?

no no no, dont worry July 1st is just around the corner

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Is it just me.. but if I am Feaster... this is what I am thinking:

Take on about 2 Million of JBo's deal. It is only for 1 year.
Doesn't this make a BIG difference in the return you can get for him??

I mean really... Is the Calgary owner a CHEAP ass??
You just saved Iginla's Salary and JBo's next season.
You are rebuilding.. so you are going to drop to the salary floor.

If his salary is taking out his trade value, take that off the table.
Maximize your return.

JBo at 4 Million per season sounds MUCH MUCH different than JBo and 6.6 (6.8?).

Wether you like JBo or not, I think he should have returned more. Crap for 4Mil a year for 1 year... where is the risk. I would have given him more: Mursak, Pulkinnen, First is a better deal. And I would be OK with it.

I am ok with not getting Jbo though... But you are telling me Boston/Montreal/Anaheim were not going to pay more than this???

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA

I was actually in the "get Bouwmeester" boat, but it is tough to argue against that logic. :laugh: It's not like Detroit was going to be over-the-top if they acquired him; I just don't think he would be as bad as many proclaim... But I guess we won't need to speculate that anymore.

RedWingsNow*

I would like to see the people who were opposed to Bouwmeester tell us what they think Holland's strategy should be for the rest of this season....

To me, you're a buyer or a seller.

Holland needs to be decisive.

If you're not buying, get out there and sell your Clearys and Millers and Eaves and Quinceys and Colaiacovos and maybe even Filppula.

Don't sit on the fence and let veterans rob another year of prospect development in exchange for a first round loss.

So go out and get Gaborik and Robidas and go for it.

Or sell.

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
LOL wow holland, asleep at the wheel. No excuses not to give up a 1st and two scrubs for bouwmeester LOL i mean st louis' goalie "prospect" is a 26 yr old in switzerland for god sake. I might have to start buying into this "Fire Holland!" stuff. Embarrasing.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I would like to see the people who were opposed to Bouwmeester tell us what they think Holland's strategy should be for the rest of this season....

To me, you're a buyer or a seller.

Holland needs to be decisive.

If you're not buying, get out there and sell your Clearys and Millers and Eaves and Quinceys and Colaiacovos and maybe even Filppula.

Don't sit on the fence and let veterans rob another year of prospect development in exchange for a first round loss.

So go out and get Gaborik and Robidas and go for it.

Or sell.

I am all for selling.

Unfortunately the garbage man (Ken Holland) refuses to take out the trash.

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
One more thing i can agree not giving up a 1st and nyquist/tatar but a first and those two scrubs st. louis gave. *sigh*

Might as well start selling as it appears Holland is scared to make a big move.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Kronwall Ericsson
Bouwmeester Kindl
White

What kind of crazy cap free world do you live in? I know you argued for it to go away during the CBA, well it didn't start thinking about that.

We have no idea what either the Rangers or Flames will ask for these players, it could be wildly different than what they want from other teams. It depends their scouts and personnel people. Feaster might pounded the table and said we have to have a goalie in this trade no matter what and the only goalie in our entire system they wanted was Mrazek. If they didn't want Paterson what can we do?

Whatever you didn't want JayBo until the trade went through so now you can be angry. That is what it looks like.

I pretty much feel like this when looking at this thread.

He isn't that great and he might have come cheap but we don't know. Sounds like they are pretty high on that goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad