OT: Blues get Bouwmeester

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
That's not what Pierre Lebrun reports. He said the Blues traded the 2014 first rounder.

http://blues.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=663290

The Blues acquired veteran defenseman Jay Bouwmeester in exchange for a conditional 2013 first-round pick, defenseman Mark Cundari and the rights to goaltender Reto Berra.
If the Blues do not qualify for the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs, Calgary will receive the Blues' fourth-round selection in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, and the first-round pick will be deferred to the 2014 NHL Draft.

It's only 2014 if the Blues miss this season.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I'm not heartbroken they didn't get him...mildly concerned he went in-division to a more defensemen-laden team. I'll be intrigued to see what the top 8 will be after Wednesday because if the Wings still want to add someone, I'd imagine someone will have to go (I'm looking at you, Ian White).

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
We like our team.

Kenny does for sure. I kinda think this is how it's going to be. Holland doesn't have the bloody-mindedness to be a rebuilding GM. He's too used to sitting on a contending core. He's a "maintain status quo" guy who's facing a situation he's never been in before, I don't think he knows the way out. He's dithering. The past two off-seasons were classic dithering off-seasons. He still doesn't seem to get it.

HTT3*

I've been a steadfast Q supporter, but I am having trouble with this decision, to be honest. JBo is young enough (he's Ericsson's age!) to merit the Flames' asking price. He wasn't a pure rental because he has one more year left, so enough time to get him to re-sign. He's the kind of D that Holland has been trying to land for some time via free agency. I just don't see how you justify giving up a first for Q last year, but then balk at getting JBo for a similar package, even if you have to part with a slightly better prospect.

Hind sight is always 20/20. Nobody knew jBo would be available last year and Kenny wanted to add depth on D for the playoffs knowing Stuart and Lidstrom were likely both gone.

Being annoyed by Kenny not getting jBo would be like being annoyed for him drafting X player over play Y, 5 years after the fact.

That said, doesn't jBo get paid like $7 million per year? Hard to justify taking on that kind of salary! Not to mention, 2012 draft < 2013 draft by a HUGE margin. Kenny did the right thing under the circumstances.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Hind sight is always 20/20. Nobody knew jBo would be available last year and Kenny wanted to add depth on D for the playoffs knowing Stuart and Lidstrom were likely both gone.

Being annoyed by Kenny not getting jBo would be like being annoyed for him drafting X player over play Y, 5 years after the fact.

That said, doesn't jBo get paid like $7 million per year? Hard to justify taking on that kind of salary! Not to mention, 2012 draft < 2013 draft by a HUGE margin. Kenny did the right thing under the circumstances.

$6.8 MM for one more year after this season. I mentioned above that once Kenny picked up the phone and talked to Calgary, pulling up on the deal just because of the 1st meant he wasn't worried about the cap hit.

He's been trying for 2-3 seasons now to fill the gap left by Rafalski and Lidstrom. This would have been a step in that direction. I think it seemed very shortsighted to pull up given JBo's age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad