OT: Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Why do we always make bad trades with Cleveland? Moss, Masterson, DaRosa, ...

We need to immediately block their number.

Don't know if it's good or bad that I completely blocked the Masterson trade out of my mind until you brought it up again lol.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
What about the Masterson deal last year? I honestly don't even remember what we gave up but he was downright awful
They gave up James Ramsey for him, who they had picked in the first round in 2012. I imagine he was somewhat good considering where he was drafted. Then again, Kozma was also drafted in the first round.....

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
What about the Masterson deal last year? I honestly don't even remember what we gave up but he was downright awful

That one I could at least see the reasoning behind given our history of success grabbing vet pitchers at the deadline. It didn't work out but I didn't totally hate it. This one just makes no sense since there were much better options available.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Blue Jays are going to be insanely dangerous now. That lineup with Price joining the rotation. Maybe if they can add a mid-rotation guy, but their prospect pool has to be pretty depleted now. They are going to be fun to watch.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
Horrible trade. Kaminsky was a solid prospect. Mo overreacted to the Holliday trade and in the process hurt us long term. Something he said he wasn't gonna do.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Horrible trade. Kaminsky was a solid prospect. Mo overreacted to the Holliday trade and in the process hurt us long term. Something he said he wasn't gonna do.

I don't agree with the trade and Kamisky was a solid prospect but...

We don't have a shortage of great pitching. Waino will back next year (maybe this year), Wacha, maybe Lackey, maybe Garcia, Martinez, Lynn, Reyes, Gonzalez, Cooney etc.

I don't think Moss adds much, if anything, to this team but I'm not overly hurt about losing Kamisky specifically. He's definitely a solid prospect but we have a pretty full closet of pitchers.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
I don't agree with the trade and Kamisky was a solid prospect but...

We don't have a shortage of great pitching. Waino will back next year (maybe this year), Wacha, maybe Lackey, maybe Garcia, Martinez, Lynn, Reyes, Gonzalez, Cooney etc.

I don't think Moss adds much, if anything, to this team but I'm not overly hurt about losing Kamisky specifically. He's definitely a solid prospect but we have a pretty full closet of pitchers.
If we make more moves, then I won't be too upset by it. But if that's all that is done, I'll be a bit upset about it.

Sniper

It's learning...
Jun 11, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
I mean if we were looking for a rental outfield bat and were willing to move Kaminsky, why not Justin Upton?

Just a guess, but I think Mo liked Moss because he can pay 1b as well as OF. If Mo thinks that Holliday will be back by the end of the year, that would push an Upton out of the field and thus out of the lineup.

By acquiring Moss instead of Upton, when Holliday comes back, Moss will take over in a platoon at 1b with Reynolds. That being said, just because Moss is a better fit, doesn't mean that you have to pay a premium price.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Moss will end up playing pretty well and the trade will turn out to be fine because this is the Cardinals.

Same thing will happen at the 2016 trade deadline. Rinse and repeat.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Siegrist can pitch just fine but the dude needs to go back to little league to figure out how to do every other aspect of being in the field

Veneficus

Sep 30, 2014
What a big win. That kind of game is the reason people hate the cards, haha. We haven't really battled back a ton this year. Last night's loss and the trade today got me bummed. It's nice when baseball can bring you back up.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
I'm surprised by the hate for the Moss trade. He now leads the Cards in HR and RBI's. We needed a bat and we went and got one.

Kaminisky is our 3rd best left handed pitcher in the minors, but he's still got a ways to go before he could even make an impact in the Bigs. The Cards need help now, and they are getting almost historic pitching, it would be stupid not to improve the biggest weakness on the Club without sacrificing too much of the future.

To put this in a Blues perspective, Army would have traded Fabbri, Barbashev and '16 1st rounder for a need we don't actually have, like more depth dman, instead of actual scoring that we really need. While Mo sacrifices some possible future success, to further our chances at another World Series. The Cards have the best record in baseball because of their incredible pitching and pedestrian offense. So Mo goes and gets a good bat that can play multiple positions of need.

I think it's a good trade.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
My problem is that there were better bats available. That's what I don't like. Moss has declined significantly. He's not the 30 homer guy of 2013.
But the guy everyone apparently wanted (Adam Lind) hasn't hit 30 HRs since 2009 and is a year older.

I'm not arguing who is better, but it just doesn't make much sense. I agree with Meatwagon and think it's a fine trade. Moss is no star, but he gives us what we need and could definitely hit around 25 this year which would be great.

I feel like everyone is putting way too much stock into Moss' last 30 games. Why exactly does that matter? It's an arbitrary number. Matt Carpenter has been just as terrible the last 30 games. Slumps happen but hopefully a change of scenery will help him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad