OT: Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
The other thing to keep in mind is just how insanely fast tuition is going up. My freshman year (2005-2006) SLUH was 8,500. By senior year it had grown to 11,800. Last I hear it was over 15 grand a year. To contrast that, including books I paid 10 grand to go to UMSL this year.

After SLUH, college courses (at least general studies) were a breeze. I do remember several classmates that could not make the grades, even though the teachers were amazing and willing to provide additional help. Guess some kids just did not have the discipline to do 2+ hours of homework a night.:sarcasm:
I swear I pulled more "all nighters" studying at SLUH my sophomore year than all 4 years at Mizzou combined.

Some of my classes as SLUH were harder than my college courses. I had to work really hard to even be a C+/B- student in English classes in high school. I got into colleg and all of the sudden started getting A's without even having to try.

I really wish my college professors were as caring and involved as SLUH teachers. Mr Raterman and Mr Moran made huge impacts on me.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
As a McCluer North Grad (81) I must both object :rant: and concur :nod:

Both Hazelwood and Ferg-Flor have declined significantly in the last 10 or so years. My brother and sister were at Hazelwood when it was still high quality and offering a variety of AP and a 5.0 was still possible. When I was there standards dropped significantly, and advanced courses started to get dropped. Still had the same typical ones, but less times to take, so some like me weren't able to take all the ones that were "available". A 5.0 was no longer possible.

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012
Both Hazelwood and Ferg-Flor have declined significantly in the last 10 or so years. My brother and sister were at Hazelwood when it was still high quality and offering a variety of AP and a 5.0 was still possible. When I was there standards dropped significantly, and advanced courses started to get dropped. Still had the same typical ones, but less times to take, so some like me weren't able to take all the ones that were "available". A 5.0 was no longer possible.

I graduated from hazelwood west in 2011 and there were maybe 10 ap classes available.

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012
And that's the good Hazelwood lol.

yeah. its kinda scary to me how bad east and central must be if west is considered the good school. i will also say high school did nothing to prepare me for college. im a smart kid but never learned how to take notes or study or work at all for school because i always got 100 percent on the tests without studying. (just for bragging rights i got a 36 in science and reading on the ACT and a 32 in math. we don't talk about English)

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I went to MICDS and transferred to a public school for my senior year. Transferred because the people at MICDS stunk but thats a whole other story.

Simply put, I've figured out that it simply does not matter whether its a public school or private, because it depends where you fit. Tons of private school kids succeed, tons fail. Tons of public school people fail, tons succeed. It's simply a matter of fit. However, the comparison and distance that the St. louis community puts between private vs. public is simply not right. My public school was just as hard as my private school, because I took the harder classes.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
The other thing to keep in mind is just how insanely fast tuition is going up. My freshman year (2005-2006) SLUH was 8,500. By senior year it had grown to 11,800. Last I hear it was over 15 grand a year. To contrast that, including books I paid 10 grand to go to UMSL this year.

Some of my classes as SLUH were harder than my college courses. I had to work really hard to even be a C+/B- student in English classes in high school. I got into colleg and all of the sudden started getting A's without even having to try.

I really wish my college professors were as caring and involved as SLUH teachers. Mr Raterman and Mr Moran made huge impacts on me.

Same here. SLUH '03

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Is it wrong that I find myself insanely jealous of all of you who had high schools with legit hockey programs?
Because I really hated seemingly being the only person who knew how to hockey at mine.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I like this trade for the Rams. Hopefully Bradford can be a good player somewhere else but it just wasn't gonna happen here.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Has it been finalized?

Think Bradford's accuracy might help out PHI, but I wouldn't want to target a guy with back-to-back tears of the same ACL to run that offense. Not sure what PHI is thinking there.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Bradford is better than Foles, and not by a little bit. He just can't stay healthy.

We gave up a second on top of it in this year's draft when we only had 5 picks to begin with. And we have very little cap space. I just don't see the team being any better this year than last.

Last edited:

SweetyV

Apr 27, 2014
Rams GOT the 2nd.

I love the trade. You have to move on after your QB has the same injury twice in two years, especially when you are paying him that kind of money.

Freed up something like 13 million for us? Perfect

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Rams GOT the 2nd.

I love the trade. You have to move on after your QB has the same injury twice in two years, especially when you are paying him that kind of money.

Freed up something like 13 million for us? Perfect

There seems to be some confusion about the pick. Different insiders are reporting different things. The most recent thing I heard is that the teams are swapping firsts this year, and the Eagles get the 41st pick. If that's the case, that's an absolute dumpster fire of a trade for the Rams. If it's one or the other, it's bad. If we're getting the 2nd(which was originally reported, but doesn't seem to be out there any more) then it's a solid deal for the Rams. Losing a pick when you're as bad as the Rams are just can't be an option unless you're getting a significant upgrade, which you're not unless Bradford gets injured again(a very real possiblity). It does free up some cap space, but there are very few names out there now that are at all interesting.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I've read we're getting a pick, or multiple picks. We are not sending any picks away.

I think this trade makes sense. Bradford needed to move on. He simply cost too much money for his durability. Foles is a competent QB, a HUGE upgrade over Shaun Hill at least. I think a lot of this trade has to do with Bradford's insistence to not take a pay cut, even though he's been the most overpaid player in the NFL since he was drafted (Not that this was totally his fault, but the old contract structure was stupid until they fixed rookie deals in the new CBA) and I think that made management nervous about the future. He isn't willing to take a pay cut to show some goodwill and understand that he hasn't really earned his paycheck, what does that say about future negotiations. If Peyton Manning can take a pay cut, so can effing Sam Bradford.

This also gives us some additional firepower to move up and snag Mariota if we so choose, as well as having a legit starting QB to allow Mariota to get comfortable for a year at this level. If we choose to stick with Foles, we now can move around to get more quantity out of this draft. Should be pretty fun.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I've read we're getting a pick, or multiple picks. We are not sending any picks away.

I think this trade makes sense. Bradford needed to move on. He simply cost too much money for his durability. Foles is a competent QB, a HUGE upgrade over Shaun Hill at least. I think a lot of this trade has to do with Bradford's insistence to not take a pay cut, even though he's been the most overpaid player in the NFL since he was drafted (Not that this was totally his fault, but the old contract structure was stupid until they fixed rookie deals in the new CBA) and I think that made management nervous about the future. He isn't willing to take a pay cut to show some goodwill and understand that he hasn't really earned his paycheck, what does that say about future negotiations. If Peyton Manning can take a pay cut, so can effing Sam Bradford.

This also gives us some additional firepower to move up and snag Mariota if we so choose, as well as having a legit starting QB to allow Mariota to get comfortable for a year at this level. If we choose to stick with Foles, we now can move around to get more quantity out of this draft. Should be pretty fun.

Not according to NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...trading-sam-bradford-to-eagles-for-nick-foles

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
hrmm, I thought John Clayton said something on ESPN about how we're getting a pick back.

That changes things if we aren't, I don't want to give up any picks for Nick Foles, he's better then Shaun Hill, but he's not better then Bradford, IF Bradford can stay healthy.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
hrmm, I thought John Clayton said something on ESPN about how we're getting a pick back.

That changes things if we aren't, I don't want to give up any picks for Nick Foles, he's better then Shaun Hill, but he's not better then Bradford, IF Bradford can stay healthy.

Yeah, it changes things big time. The ESPN guys heard the Rams were getting the pick, but the NFL.com guy is saying the Eagles are getting the pick/picks and/or we're swapping first rounders(which I don't like at all).

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I like the Bradford for Foles swap personally, but I'm also confused on the picks arrangement.

Maybe the NFL is putting a limit on how many picks the Rams can steal from other teams now, poor Redskins. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad