Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
MO came out yesterday and said we're no longer exploring a "dynamic" signing, aka "we're not signing a free agent bat." That does not make me happy. I have no desire to go into this season with a Matt Adams/Brandon Moss first base combo.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What? So we are going to rely on Holliday's health and power coming back, Grichuk's health and continued development, and Piscotty's continued development? Relying on both Adams and Moss to be quality bats?

This has to be a tactic to get Gordon's or Upton's agent down because if it's true, we will be in trouble next season. Mo can't be that naïve.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
That's what I'm hoping too. I love Holliday, but the man is 35. You need to find a long term replacement for him. I'm not worried about Piscotty getting enough at-bats. We can get him 40 using him to spell the outfields and deploying him at first. But for god's sake bring in a thumper.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
What? So we are going to rely on Holliday's health and power coming back, Grichuk's health and continued development, and Piscotty's continued development? Relying on both Adams and Moss to be quality bats?

This has to be a tactic to get Gordon's or Upton's agent down because if it's true, we will be in trouble next season. Mo can't be that naïve.

Would this even work? Just because we won't pay them doesn't mean another team won't.

If their agent sees that we're "out" on those guys, I'm sure they'll just move on to another team who is willing to pay Upton and Gordon.

Bottom line is, Gordon and Upton are going to get paid whether it's by us or not so I don't think MO's tactic, if that's indeed what it is, is going to work.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
Not to mention the Shelby trade has turned out to be a monumental failure for this organization. Tyrell Jenkins is also one of the top pitching prospects in the Braves organization now :facepalm:

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
MO came out yesterday and said we're no longer exploring a "dynamic" signing, aka "we're not signing a free agent bat." That does not make me happy. I have no desire to go into this season with a Matt Adams/Brandon Moss first base combo.

Team rakes in close to $250 million per year, is worth nearly $1.5 billion and they can't stand to pay someone an extra $3-$4 million extra per year.

They've been cheap for a long time. Not sure why people expect that to change anytime soon.

The Cards have benefited from very good drafting and they will continue that model.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
Not to mention the Shelby trade has turned out to be a monumental failure for this organization. Tyrell Jenkins is also one of the top pitching prospects in the Braves organization now :facepalm:

It was a very bad trade and now Cards have nothing to show for it.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
Just a thought, you can take it or leave it, but what if Lunhow and the other front office personnel that left for Houston (or ended up in prison) were the real reason for this organization's success the past six years or so? It seems that there has been a massive brain drain with all of these guys leaving for other GM positions, and Mo has been left scrambling to plug the holes. What if the loss of personnel is starting to catch up to him now? I know he hired a new scouting director, so we will see if that pays off (hopefully the new guy won't be as ****ing stupid as the last guy).

I'm not saying that the Cards are in trouble at the organizational level; I'm just wondering if the 2011 WS (and all of the drafting in those years) was really Lunhow's design? I mean he was the guy responsible for drafting Carpenter in the 13th round.....

Veneficus

Sep 30, 2014
At this point, I'm glad it's hockey season.

I don't think the cards stand with what they have, at least I hope they don't. There is just not a lot of options left on the market. Gordon is a fine player, but he's also 32 when the season starts. I wouldn't be stoked on a four year deal and I doubt he would take less.

I think the real problem is pitching. Every starting pitcher has a question mark. The bullpen is an issue also. I'd love a trade for a starting pitcher. It would be cool if they would go after Maeda. But who knows how he'll be in the majors.

I for one don't want to watch the cubs win the division, ever. It's a sad reality that's becoming more possible with each day that we stand as is.

TL,DR: For the love of God please do something before I cry!!!

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Chiefs are 8-5, they definitely don't suck. It's just that the Royals won the WS. Of course there's going to be a buzz.

Baseball wise, I would love for Maeda and Gordon. Wouldn't mind Leake or Chen. I would love getting Cliff Lee on an incentive-laden deal. Not too worried about the Cubs winning the division. I fully expect some sophomore slumps and Arrieta will likely regress. Even if they do win, oh well, as long as we make the playoffs. That's how we won in 11

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I have a suspicion he won't, unless Gordon comes in on a 3 year deal. At this point, I think Piscotty is the every day right fielder. I don't necessarily have a problem with that, but who the hell replaces Holliday after next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad