Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Pretty discouraging. A year ago we had Shelby and Oscar, now we are left with nothing. They have to go for Gordon now. And as the options dwindle, the price for these secondary guys is gonna go up as well. Plus the (probably) Cubs just added yet another star

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I want Upton too, but Gordon seems to fit the mold of the guy they want. I'd be happy to have him if they can keep the price reasonable.

I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about baseball. Does the price really matter? The radio folks are talking about how much money the Cubs have - what exactly are the cards doing with their money? Years of 3 mil plus fans attending...we have to have pretty deep pockets, no?

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Every team's got their internal budget. You're going to have to overpay for free agents, but at some point it's just not worth it. If heyward really did get 30 million per, I'm happy we didn't sign him. That's a ludicrous contract. Just absolutely blew up the salary structure.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about baseball. Does the price really matter? The radio folks are talking about how much money the Cubs have - what exactly are the cards doing with their money? Years of 3 mil plus fans attending...we have to have pretty deep pockets, no?

Yeah, the Cardinals have a lot of money to spend on the roster, but you have to be careful on how you spend it. As good as Heyward is, he isn't someone worth destroying the teams salary structure for.

Can't comment too much until we see the actual numbers, but if it's anything close to $30m then that's insane. That money is much better invested in the team in other areas.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
He took less money to go to the cubs. Kinda makes you wonder.

Where are you seeing that? The lowest I've seen is 8 years at $23m by a Cubs beat writer, I doubt the Cardinals were offering more than $23m a year. Some numbers out there are putting it over $25m a year.

Either way, I'm not overly bothered. Heyward is a very good player, and one I'd have likely on the Cardinals long term, but he isn't good enough for me to be overly bothered that we lost out on him.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

I'm certain that Mo would have given him an 8-year, $184m contract. The opt-outs are why he isn't in St. Louis, I can't wait to see the contract breakdown.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Things aren't looking good but if the Cardinals got Cueto and Gordon I'd consider it a success still. But I want them both.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

I'm certain that Mo would have given him an 8-year, $184m contract. The opt-outs are why he isn't in St. Louis, I can't wait to see the contract breakdown.

I suspect the same. I'm not as disappointed at losing out on Heyward as I am at seeing him go to the Cubs. That hurts because it's going to allow them to get another pitcher. I'd bet my bottom dollar Soler is on his way to Cleveland shortly.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Opt out after years 3 and 4 is rough. He clearly just wants the big money and the Cubs were likely the only ones will to do that many opt outs along with big money. Being a free agent at 29 and 30 again will allow him another massive contract.

Get Gordon and Cueto. Gordon>Heyward and Cueto>Lackey.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Opt out after years 3 and 4 is rough. He clearly just wants the big money and the Cubs were likely the only ones will to do that many opt outs along with big money. Being a free agent at 29 and 30 again will allow him another massive contract.

Get Gordon and Cueto. Gordon>Heyward and Cueto>Lackey.

Good luck getting anyone to understand that. The rumors going around right now are that the deal is really frontloaded, which makes it look even worse.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Yeah, saying he took less to play for the Cubs is just nonsense spin. He took less in an overall contract knowing he won't be playing the second half of it.

I'll be surprised if Davis isn't a Cardinal by the end of tomorrow. Not a big fan, but it seems inevitable now.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA

I wonder what the "DeWallet" hating brigade will say about that? I suspect that the opt-outs are what really did it.

There is a non-negligible contingent of Cards fans who are so damn entitled. One thing doesn't go our way and Mo and the rest of the front office are terrible apparently. I suspect these people are not also Blues fans or else they probably wouldn't be taking the cardinals' constant success for granted.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Yeah, saying he took less to play for the Cubs is just nonsense spin. He took less in an overall contract knowing he won't be playing the second half of it.

I'll be surprised if Davis isn't a Cardinal by the end of tomorrow. Not a big fan, but it seems inevitable now.

Think so? I haven't seen anything linking us to Davis at all. Gordon is the only big name I've heard today.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
they need to sign cueto because relying on garcia over the span of 162 games would be foolish. i didnt want heyward resigned at anything over 120 million. hes not worth 25 million a year because hes mediocre offensively. use that money towards other things.

cueto and gonzales from the rockies would be what id go after.

what sucks is that we lost miller for a one year rental for him. thats what hurts.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Think so? I haven't seen anything linking us to Davis at all. Gordon is the only big name I've heard today.

I've heard we've been in on Davis for weeks, with both sides comfortable to see how other things play out.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get Davis, Gordon and Maeda.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
It's time for Mo and company to make a move. I'm okay with Heyward leaving because of the high price tag, but now the ball is in Mozeliak's court. It's time for him to add a replacement and a pitcher before it's too late. This conservative game plan he's taken on has been terrible.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I'm calling Justin Upton, Wei-Yin Chen and Mark Buehrle (on a low base, high incentives deal).

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I'm calling Justin Upton, Wei-Yin Chen and Mark Buehrle (on a low base, high incentives deal).

Is Upton even on the radar? Personally I think he should be, but it seems like it's all Alex Gordon right now. Why not pursue Cespedes or Upton? This team clearly has the money. I don't understand the 'fit' aspect when it comes to Gordon. I get he's a great fielder, but this team needs a bat more than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad