OT: Blues Fans Around the Globe

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Lol I wish, i'm from Croatia aka Joe Šakić's parents land :D
been following blues manically since mtl halak trade...yeah watta n00b :baghead:

i try to watch all games ( 2am start) via stream or dload it after work, so i dont post here be4 watching the games cos of spoilers ofc:eek:

love this forum (i even unblocked deezee), it's my 1st Blues go to place. <3
#stlblues on twitter is 2nd :popcorn:
Sorry, I was between Czech or Slovakia, but Croatia.. :help:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I love these types of threads. I'm always interested in how people became Blues fans. I've heard everything from NHL94 on Sega to "I just liked the jerseys" etc. lol.

Reactions: PizzaPietrangelo

yogintheaveragebears

May 23, 2015
On the other side of the river but I have been to Spain before! My parents are from Fargo ndsu alumn (go bison) so we' visit frequently. Grew up playing pond hockey while in ND never a req league since football rules where I'm from got into the blues not only since st louis is an hour half away but because of Tony twist

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'm half Dutch and half Canadian, and split my year among The Netherlands, Denmark/Sweden, Germany, Canada and USA. I became a Blues' fan at The 1967 Expansion draft, when they drafted my favourite goalie, Glenn Hall. But, they REALLY became my favourite team when our Winnipeg family friend/neighbour, Ab McDonald joined The Blues in 1968. I've read The PD online since 2000, and was on The Old Official NHL Blues' Forum from 2001 to its end, Blues Talk forum since 2003, and this forum since 2007, plus Reddit. I read TSN.com, NHL.com, and St. Louis Blues.com. I watch and or have watched several different streaming services, and CBC, CTV, Sportsnet, Centre Ice when visiting my sister in Winnipeg 2-3 months(usually mid Nov.-Jan.), Center Ice/NHL Network, NBCSN when visiting my other sister in Los Angeles, NASN in The Netherlands and Munich, Germany.

I've always been curious about how and why non-North Americans became fans of NHL teams, and how Canadians became fans of US NHL teams. I became a fan of The Chicago Blackhawks back in 1951, when Winnipeg had no NHL team (even before its WHL team), because we had family there, and visited there often. Then our friend joined The Blues.

Most of the Canadian people I've met who became fans of a US team, did so because they had a friend, relative or local Junior favourite player join that team's organisation. Friends in Sweden and Denmark became fans of NHL teams because a countryman favourite Junior or pro player joined that team, OR they liked the uniform from playing online or physical simulation games with NHL teams. Friends in The Netherlands and Germany became Blues fans from playing games. Then, I have this Finnish friend, who lives in Espoo, whose local team is called "The Blues", so he likes The St. Louis Blues, too. So, I hope all the non- North Americans on this thread, who haven't already done so, will tell us how they became St. Louis Blues fans.

Last edited:

PizzaPietrangelo

Bluesily optimistic
Jan 14, 2017
London, UK
I'm half Dutch and half Canadian, and split my year among The Netherlands, Denmark/Sweden, Germany, Canada and USA. I became a Blues' fan at The 1967 Expansion draft, when they drafted my favourite goalie, Glenn Hall. But, they REALLY became my favourite team when our Winnipeg family friend/neighbour, Ab McDonald joined The Blues in 1968. I've read The PD online since 2000, and was on The Old Official NHL Blues' Forum from 2001 to its end, Blues Talk forum since 2003, and this forum since 2007, plus Reddit. I read TSN.com, NHL.com, and St. Louis Blues.com. I watch and or have watched several different streaming services, and CBC, CTV, Sportsnet, Centre Ice when visiting my sister in Winnipeg 2-3 months(usually mid Nov.-Jan.), Center Ice/NHL Network, NBCSN when visiting my other sister in Los Angeles, NASN in The Netherlands and Munich, Germany.

I have really noticed over the years that TSN seems to provide much better content and analysis than its U.S. competitors/analogues—I guess that makes since given the increased prevalence and respect for hockey north of the U.S.-Canada border.

As a side note, I'm really glad that this thread has instigated low-stress discussion and storytelling. Not bad for a first thread from a new poster, huh? :popcorn:

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Well since you asked Robb.

Born Kansas City-an and met my wife in College who is a Blues fan by family. 8 years later and moving to Kentucky, Indiana and now Michigan and I’ve been following on this board and other various sites for my hockey obsession.

Now my means of watching games consist of FSGO via my parents KC cable login to watch out of state. And other less acceptable means similar to how I watch CHL games. Little did my wife know that this would become my obsession I think she sorta regrets it haha. Spend too much time on Twitter etc.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I grew up in St. Louis but moved to the east coast a few years ago. Now I'm surrounded by Rangers/Devils/Sabres/Bruins fans. It's terrible. Every pizza joint has these things they call "fried ravioli". It looks like toasted ravioli but every single one is cheese filled, no meat (wtf) and they taste like what you would get if you microwaved the frozen t-ravs from walmart.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Born and raised in STL, went to school in Arkansas where they’d occasionally get Blues games on the FSN down there, but mostly stars games. Cardinals games were more common. While in college, I spent a semester in Brussels, where I didn’t watch a ton of games but would wake up to watch playoff games

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I was born and raised for a few years in Sparta, IL, just outside the East Side. My dad has been a Blues fan since their inception, and I always enjoyed watching and going to games as a Christmas present.

I later moved to a small town named Sandwich, moved to its neighbor, Plano, and then moved back to Sandwich in Northern Illinois (or as I like to think of it: Plano Balogna Sandwich). Because of the distance my only real connection to the Blues was when they were on national tv (never) and EANHL. Peter Sejna was my favorite roster player for a while because of this (hah). I always loved Paul Kariya, and became a Ducks ‘fan’ for a while just to make my dad angry. Pavol Demitra is my favorite Blue, and I plan on naming my child after him.

I went to college and finally had access to internet (conservative and poor parents), began watching Blues games again, and rekindled my love for hockey during the 2011-12 season. I lurked on this board for a long time and finally made an account in 2014, I believe, and I cannot overstate how much I have learned since.

I now live in Lisle where I am back in school learning to be a math teacher full-time while working as a math teacher essentially full-time. :) I was a music teacher for k-6 before at a high-needs, high-crime, high-poverty school in the Southside of Chicago (harkening back to my East St. Louis roots), but was fired from there after 3 years for protesting over lack of supplies and poor classroom conditions (no blackboards, not enough chairs, no paper after September, and a beehive outside the window that stung some of my students because there was no A/C). I was more or less unemployed for two years (and couldn’t pick up unemployment), but then I got the chance to do a maternity leave for my old math teacher, and found out I was really good at teaching math. This board got me through some really tough times.

Thank you all for making this board a great place to be. I’m working hard to be a better contributor, and making fewer, but higher quality, posts.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Born and raised in STL, went to school in Arkansas where they’d occasionally get Blues games on the FSN down there, but mostly stars games. Cardinals games were more common. While in college, I spent a semester in Brussels, where I didn’t watch a ton of games but would wake up to watch playoff games
How did you like Brussels? I never really warmed to it, always preferred other Belgian cities. Did you get to see Antwerp, Bruges, etc?

I stayed in Leuven/Kessel-Lo for a while when I was in my late teens and really enjoyed it.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
How did you like Brussels? I never really warmed to it, always preferred other Belgian cities. Did you get to see Antwerp, Bruges, etc?

I stayed in Leuven/Kessel-Lo for a while when I was in my late teens and really enjoyed it.
Brussels was fun. I was doing EU based research so obviously you can’t beat Brussels for that. I love Bruges. It’s gorgeous. I went to Antwerp for a day and never got a great feel for it overall but it was nice. The train station is incredible

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I grew up in St. Louis but moved to the east coast a few years ago. Now I'm surrounded by Rangers/Devils/Sabres/Bruins fans. It's terrible. Every pizza joint has these things they call "fried ravioli". It looks like toasted ravioli but every single one is cheese filled, no meat (wtf) and they taste like what you would get if you microwaved the frozen t-ravs from walmart.
I hear ya! I'm up here in LeafLand. :( One thing I do benefit from, however is NHL media coverage. As has been mentioned, TSN is very insightful and informative. I find the Canadian hockey coverage much more in depth, largely of course due to the popularity of the sport up here. For detailed information on the Blues specifically, I come here.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Oh, and I just wanted to add, Hockey Night In Canada has the best camerawork of any TV hockey broadcast. Hands down!:thumbu:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Brussels was fun. I was doing EU based research so obviously you can’t beat Brussels for that. I love Bruges. It’s gorgeous. I went to Antwerp for a day and never got a great feel for it overall but it was nice. The train station is incredible
Antwerp is strange when you first get there. The Station is great, then you walk out and straight into the diamond district and it has a really... umm... weird vibe to it.

I haven't been in years though. Only really back for Pukkelpop or Rock Werchter these days.

I hear ya! I'm up here in LeafLand. :(
When I was staying in the Annex it seemed half the people loved the Leafs and half hated them. When I was last back suddenly everyone loves them. Heh.

Oh, and I just wanted to add, Hockey Night In Canada has the best camerawork of any TV hockey broadcast. Hands down!:thumbu:
HNIC is great, but then it also has Grapes.

Always enjoyed listening to Naylor on TSN as well.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Antwerp is strange when you first get there. The Station is great, then you walk out and straight into the diamond district and it has a really... umm... weird vibe to it.

I haven't been in years though. Only really back for Pukkelpop or Rock Werchter these days.

When I was staying in the Annex it seemed half the people loved the Leafs and half hated them. When I was last back suddenly everyone loves them. Heh.

HNIC is great, but then it also has Grapes.

Always enjoyed listening to Naylor on TSN as well.
Wow, I lived just south of the Annex, (Harbord Village) when I was at University. I am still within commuting distance. The Leafs are worshipped now that they seem to have turned things around. Grapes is a National embarrassment.

boerger1408

Penalty declined
Sep 28, 2017
Vienna
Hi Guys, greetings from Vienna/Austria. Long, and i mean looooong time lurker here and huge Blues fan since about the day Robb was born ;)

Played the EA NHL Series and picked a team. That was about the time Number 99 was a Blue and Mike Keenan became the coach, shortly after he won a Cup with the Rangers, if i remember correctly. Figured thats a team thats bound to win a Cup in the blink of an eye. If only i knew back then .... ;)

Watched an endless number of games starting at 2 am, but can't do that any longer, except in the playoffs. So i watch every game on the next day on Gamecenter. Been reading the forum here forever and just for giggles read the asylum more often that i should. Also follow the Blues on Facebook but stay away from the comments there, because i don't want to lose the little faith i have left for the human race :)

Oh, and also, sometimes i know what happens in the future. For example, i know for a fact that we will score a powerplay goal tonight against the desert dogs. And you know that is a bold prediction if there ever was one :naughty:

Reactions: Bluesguru

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
So growing up in St. Charles County I remember first getting into watching hockey. While I wasn’t a diehard Blues fan, I liked them more then most other teams. I was a more of a fan of certain players. Huge Patrick Roy fan and subsequently became an Avs fan. It wasn’t until maybe 2009 when the Blues surpassed every team. I chalk it up to nearly all my favorite players as a kid had retired. Then I was living in Alabama and just used STLtoday for my info.

I’m active on the Avalanche sub-reddit and many years ago someone posted a thread to the HF forums. Read it, the. found the Blues sub-forum. Saw that it was a million times better then Asylum. I lurked for a wile and Then I joined up later on.

I travel the country for a living (Natural Gas/Pipelines) so I just take my satellite with me and hope I get an RV spot that is not too wooded. If not I watch games in my iPad through the Dish Network app.

Reactions: Bluesguru

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

Spreek je dan goed Vlaams? :cool: Mijn Grootouders hebben uit Antwerpen gekommen. Ik heb familie ook in Brussel, Leuven, en Luik.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
My story isn't as cool as most of you guys :laugh:

Born and raised in the STL area. Still live and work here. Dad has been a huge blues fan since the 80's, so that's where I get it from. Up until last April I watched almost every game. In April I left my 9-5 job for a better paying evening job, so I missed most of the playoffs last year (caught all the highlights though). Got laid off from said job October 1st, so I got to watch every game up until early December when I got called back. Now, I resort to watching highlights and skimming the GDTs. This site is my primary source of hockey info and I'm glad to be here and enjoy this community very much.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Wow, I lived just south of the Annex, (Harbord Village) when I was at University. I am still within commuting distance. The Leafs are worshipped now that they seem to have turned things around. Grapes is a National embarrassment.
UoT? I was actually staying in TO because my girlfriend at the time was going to McMaster. I preferred to stay in Toronto rather than Hamilton or Ancaster though.

To be expected that they're worshipped almost universally again with such a promising young team. If you aren't a Leafs fan it is easy to really start to hate the team living in Toronto, but I'll be glad to see them have some success.

Spreek je dan goed Vlaams? :cool: Mijn Grootouders hebben uit Antwerpen gekommen. Ik heb familie ook in Brussel, Leuven, en Luik.
Not anymore, unfortunately. I can still understand spoken and written Dutch/Flemish, even when spoken by a Limburger :laugh:, but I really struggle to find words when I try to speak. Expected from 2 years learning followed 13 years not using it.

That might change soon. The UK vote to leave the EU, plus it being easier for my girlfriend to travel to the Schengen area rather than the UK, has me looking at Amsterdam, Den Haag and Leuven. Already started to process of getting my Irish passport.

Flemish & Walloon family? That must be fun! You visit Belgium often?

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
b3398391f00a3be597783cf5b2770f61.gif

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Blues fan not far from Toronto! (I couldn’t make Tuesday’s game sadly considering I was working and tickets are way too expensive)

I have NHL Centre Ice on tv which gives me every game, however it doesn’t always show it on Fox Sports Midwest. Especially when we’re against a Canadian team it essentially forces me to watch it on Sportsnet’s feed.

I haven’t posted that much since I finally made an HF account but I’ve been reading for years. Can’t talk much Blues hockey up here so it’s awesome checking in with passionate and committed fans on this forum! Cheers!
I like your avatar. You also a baseball fan?

On topic: I started my life and lived most of it in Colorado, parents were from the STL area so grew up huge Blues and Cards fans... I am a MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger hockey fan than baseball but I do follow the Cards closely. I moved to Illinois as my job took me there. It looks like I will be on the move again soon actually. Not exactly sure but it could be one of 3 places. One of them is East Coast and no offense to you EC people I have no desire to live on the EC so hopefully that's not it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad