OT: Blues Fans Around the Globe

PizzaPietrangelo

Bluesily optimistic
Jan 14, 2017
London, UK
It just occurred to me that we have many fans located in many places - at least one in Finland (Ranksu), at least one elsewhere in Europe (Robb), several in Canada, several in the mainland U.S., and at least one in Hawaii (me).

How do you fans in cities outside St. Louis keep up with the Blues? I typically try to follow this forum and catch Blues games on FoxSportsGo when I can, but outside of that, I find the coverage on NHL.com and BleedinBlue.com to leave much to be desired...

Reactions: Bluesguru

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
I'm a Blues fan from Alberta, Canada! This forum is my main way of keeping up with what's happening with the team. Discussion, trade proposals, prospect news, the usual stuff on HFBlues. I watch the games on the NHLStreams subreddit, 100% of the time I get a 1080P Fox Midwest stream which is awesome.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Blues fan from Ontario! I use this forum as my primary means of information about the Blues. I am usually working during games, so I catch up with them on Kodi (YouTube), and read the GDT's faithfully. Many posters can provide you with a link to live streams if you ask to PM them.

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
I'm from Russia which sucks because games usually start between 3 and 5 am. Also I stopped reading GDT's while watching the game because my streams usually a minute late and you guys spoil goals haha.

I read this forum and also r/stlouisblues and r/hockey

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Ahoj from the Czech Republic. I'll usually just stay up for weekend games, and I've been known to set my alarm to wake up in the middle of the night for playoff games. My work schedule varies, so when I can afford to lose some sleep on hockey I usually do! Otherwise, you knowledgeable chaps keep me pretty well informed when I can't catch the games!

LBlues24

May 3, 2017
Blues fan not far from Toronto! (I couldn’t make Tuesday’s game sadly considering I was working and tickets are way too expensive)

I have NHL Centre Ice on tv which gives me every game, however it doesn’t always show it on Fox Sports Midwest. Especially when we’re against a Canadian team it essentially forces me to watch it on Sportsnet’s feed.

I haven’t posted that much since I finally made an HF account but I’ve been reading for years. Can’t talk much Blues hockey up here so it’s awesome checking in with passionate and committed fans on this forum! Cheers!

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I live in Northern Indiana currently. I was born in StL (Barnes Jewish). When a buddy showed me NHL '93 on the genesis in High School (I'm old), I picked the Blues because I was born there. As I became a fan of the sport through the game, they stayed my team. This was further reinforced when I went to grad school at Wash U in StL and attended several live games during that time. So that is why I started cheering for the Blues as opposed to Hawks/Wings which is more common in my area.

Fox Sports Indiana is a subset of Fox Sports Midwest. Indiana based events get priority, mainly the Pacers but sometimes college sports as well. Otherwise they air the Blues games when there is not an Indiana event. I get roughly half the games/post-games aired in this way. This is vastly preferred as I like to DVR the game, start watching late, fast forward through breaks and intermissions and heavily rewind to break down plays. In the event of conflicts, all games are available to me on Fox sports Go (aside from NBCSN/NHL Network ones) or on FSMW2. However, FSMW2 is not available in HD, and hence borderline torture for me to watch in a heavily bordered 30-inch window within my 65" 4k TV. I actually found it much easier when I lived in Florida. I just bought NHL GameCenter or Center Ice. But since it is technically being aired in Indiana (albeit in a laggy app or 8-bit graphic quality picture), those services black out Blues games for me when living in Indiana. I'd gladly pay the money for one consistent and high quality place to watch 90% of Blues games, but its stupidly just not available to me here.

As for news/analysis, I mostly get my info through here. I like the stat sites (natural stat trick, sporting charts, NHL.com) as I'm sure many have noticed. I'll also randomly google "Blues (trade rumors, news, injury update)" and peruse other sites when I am bored. But as OP said, the coverage is generally heavily lacking. At those times, I prefer rumor aggregation sites as opposed to amateur analysis. They are generally crap, but they generally link to the source material of industry insiders.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I was born and raised in St. Louis "On the Hill" so following the Blues, Cards, and Rams (lol) was just natural. I moved to Somerville, MA which is just north of Boston (literally a 5 minute train ride to Boston proper for me) over the summer. As a side note, a group of my friends are coming up in a and we are all going to the Bruins-Blues game on February 1st. So if you see a group of drunk 25 year olds in the cheap seats on the broadcast please screen cap it because it's more than likely us :).

As far as keeping up with the Blues, this is my primary source of discussion and info. I have the Bleacher Report app which is also nice because it aggregates all the tweets from JR/Lou/etc. and I don't have twitter. Every so often I will pop over to StlToday to read an article and, if I'm feeling masochistic, I'll drop in on the old asylum forum while I'm there. Do not do this.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
We also have at least one in Russia in @elkranio. I feel like there's another one I'm forgetting too that's also from Russia. Alklha I think?
Scottish, but I used to stay in Russia. Now it is mainly Scotland & Ukraine.

As for staying up to date it's here, reddit & twitter really. I do have a subscription to the Athletic, but I rarely visit the site other than through links from twitter. I have NHL.tv to watch the games, but it's far from perfect. That might be somewhat down to my setup though (I connect online via my own VPN in Scotland). I very rarely use NHL.com, the site is terrible to use and the content isn't much better.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
It just occurred to me that we have many fans located in many places - at least one in Finland (Ranksu), at least one elsewhere in Europe (Robb), several in Canada, several in the mainland U.S., and at least one in Hawaii (me).

How do you fans in cities outside St. Louis keep up with the Blues? I typically try to follow this forum and catch Blues games on FoxSportsGo when I can, but outside of that, I find the coverage on NHL.com and BleedinBlue.com to leave much to be desired...
Hey! I'm in Hawaii too! Actually due to your name I think I might know you.

That is if you are HawaiiBluesFan

Cdnblue

Jan 19, 2018
I'm a diehard Blues fan for over 35 years.
I grew up in Edmonton when the Oilers were a Stanley cup winning team, but I now reside in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
When I was about 10 years old, I used to stay after every Blues-Oilers game just to get autographs, pics etc and I still have it all lol
Its easy to follow the Blues these days, I add the NHL package to my cable subscription every season so that I never miss a Blues game.
Its nice to connect with true Blues fans cause there sure aren't many around here lol
Cheers!

PizzaPietrangelo

Bluesily optimistic
Jan 14, 2017
London, UK
Hey! I'm in Hawaii too! Actually due to your name I think I might know you.

That is if you are HawaiiBluesFan

Wow, I swear I thought I was the only Blues fan out here! I don't believe that I'm this 'HawaiiBluesFan' that you speak of, but it's great to learn that the Note is well represented out here in the Pacific.

Since some posters have been adding brief histories, I'll just add that I grew up in STL, moved to Boston for college, then moved to Houston for a job, then moved to England for grad school, then ended up here in Hawaii for another job.

I'm sure every fanbase feels that it's a great, solid community, but I'll admit that it's always been an immense pleasure to meet fellow Blues fans at bars in other cities to watch games.

Sidenote: If any of you ever pass through Houston—especially during playoff season—check out The Maple Leaf Pub on Elgin. Though you wouldn't expect it in a town like Houston, it was one of the best places I've ever watched playoff hockey; everybody in their sweaters, high fives all around, and even bubble hockey!

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Wow, I swear I thought I was the only Blues fan out here! I don't believe that I'm this 'HawaiiBluesFan' that you speak of, but it's great to learn that the Note is well represented out here in the Pacific.

Since some posters have been adding brief histories, I'll just add that I grew up in STL, moved to Boston for college, then moved to Houston for a job, then moved to England for grad school, then ended up here in Hawaii for another job.

I'm sure every fanbase feels that it's a great, solid community, but I'll admit that it's always been an immense pleasure to meet fellow Blues fans at bars in other cities to watch games.

Sidenote: If any of you ever pass through Houston—especially during playoff season—check out The Maple Leaf Pub on Elgin. Though you wouldn't expect it in a town like Houston, it was one of the best places I've ever watched playoff hockey; everybody in their sweaters, high fives all around, and even bubble hockey!
Ahhh ok, I'm out here due to being in the Navy.

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
and OFC @jura who's from Czech

Lol I wish, i'm from Croatia aka Joe Šakić's parents land :D
been following blues manically since mtl halak trade...yeah watta n00b :baghead:

i try to watch all games ( 2am start) via stream or dload it after work, so i dont post here be4 watching the games cos of spoilers ofc:eek:

love this forum (i even unblocked deezee), it's my 1st Blues go to place. <3
#stlblues on twitter is 2nd :popcorn:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->