Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I’m happy to go back to making GDTs if no one else who is more proficient in photoshop or some sort of editing software wants a crack at it.
Please do. The ones we've been getting from [ignore] lately have been crap.

Reactions: shmotz

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
All of us are ecstatic the Blues are having this success but I can't help wonder what happens to salaries if they win the Cup.

Binnington stands to make the most the quickest regardless if they win or lose but winning certainly raises the contract. I'd guess he'd want close to 6 million per season if they win the Cup.

Pietrangelo has a year to wait but it's another circumstance he can use as leverage to raise the amount.

Maroon didn't have a great regular season but has some big goals in the playoffs.

Sundqvist looks to get a huge raise as well.

It'll be an interesting off-season but hopefully we're celebrating every day of it :)

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
All of us are ecstatic the Blues are having this success but I can't help wonder what happens to salaries if they win the Cup.

Binnington stands to make the most the quickest regardless if they win or lose but winning certainly raises the contract. I'd guess he'd want close to 6 million per season if they win the Cup.

Pietrangelo has a year to wait but it's another circumstance he can use as leverage to raise the amount.

Maroon didn't have a great regular season but has some big goals in the playoffs.

Sundqvist looks to get a huge raise as well.

It'll be an interesting off-season but hopefully we're celebrating every day of it :)

You can use Murray's $3.75M contract as a basis for what Binnington will get. No way he gets anything near $6M per season.

Petro will be a tough one, but they have a year to figure it out

Maroon can be replaced with internal depth

Sundqvist won't be getting a huge raise. He put up 14 goals/31 points.

The interesting part will be to see how the Blues position this roster next season with the expansion draft looming.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
You can use Murray's $3.75M contract as a basis for what Binnington will get. No way he gets anything near $6M per season.

Petro will be a tough one, but they have a year to figure it out

Maroon can be replaced with internal depth

Sundqvist won't be getting a huge raise. He put up 14 goals/31 points.

The interesting part will be to see how the Blues position this roster next season with the expansion draft looming.

I don't know what Binnington will wind up getting but it won't shock me if his camp asks for 6m.

Maroon can be replaced but my gut feeling is he won't be

Keep in mind that Sundqvist's average ice time in the regular season was 13:49. Getting 14 goals and 31 points with that limited ice is really good. He's only making 700,000 this year so there's no question he's getting a big raise. If he makes 2 million next year that's almost tripling his current salary.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I don't know what Binnington will wind up getting but it won't shock me if his camp asks for 6m.

I wonder what Binningtons tradevalue is after the last couple of months. Don't get me wrong, I really hope we can sign him to a friendly contract next year, but what if he asks for 6 million and doesn't want to lower his demand and/or Army doesn't want to go all the way up to 6-ish million? He's a RFA this summer so his rights should still have some worth.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I wonder what Binningtons tradevalue is after the last couple of months. Don't get me wrong, I really hope we can sign him to a friendly contract next year, but what if he asks for 6 million and doesn't want to lower his demand and/or Army doesn't want to go all the way up to 6-ish million? He's a RFA this summer so his rights should still have some worth.

Arbitrator would reward something in-line with what Murray got.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Murray outperformed Binnington in the playoffs by a wide margin, but had less experience in the regular season. I would imagine it would be either a 1 or 2 year deal in the realm of 3.5-4 mil, but if they want to lock him up for a long time, I could see Binnington making something what Allen makes. Idk it's hard to speculate, but I think that's what he could get.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Where is $6M coming from? Only 9 goalies made $6M or more this season. All but 3 of them have Vezinas. of the 3 who don't, Hellebuyck was coming off of a 2nd place Vezina finish and Crawford has multiple cups. They all had a ton more seasons and games under their belt than Binnington. Murray is the comparable for Binnington and he makes less than $4M.

Binnington's playoff numbers, aside from wins, aren't even that great. He is 9th among playoff goalies (5 games or more) in save percentage with a pedestrian .915. Binniongton is what this team needed but he is not a $6M goalie. He is not good enough to be worth that and he definitely hasn't proven enough. He'd get laughed out of arbitration with that ask.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Wow if Binny gets 4mill.$ and Allen is 4.350mill.$, +8mill.$ for #1 goaltender and #31 goaltender. :help:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Wow if Binny gets 4mill.$ and Allen is 4.350mill.$, +8mill.$ for #1 goaltender and #31 goaltender. :help:
Someone is going to give Bobrovsky $8 million. Price makes $10.5 million. Lundqvist makes $8.5 million.

We'd still be middle of the pack in total money spent on goalies. There are currently 14 goalies with a cap hit of $5 million or more (not counting free agents like Bob) and a lot of the ones on the lower end of that list have backups making $2 million or more.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Obviously Binny's value goes up the more we win (and will top out if we win the Cup). Every Cup winning team watches players get paid more than they thought they would have to because winning the Cup requires your depth and stars to step up in a big way.

But winning the Cup gets Binny in Matt Murray territory, not $6 mil territory. If we win the Cup and Binny maintains his current SV%, it will be the 3rd worst playoff SV% of the last 10 Cup winners. He is currently at .915 and the 7 performances ahead of him on that list are all .922 or better. Binny would have to allow just 3 goals over 100 shots in the next 3 games in order to pass #7 on that list (which would be just the best, because we should absolutely win a Cup if that happens). I think he has absolutely played better than his numbers indicate, but those are the stats that would be presented at arbitration if Binny was asking for the world. Every quantifiable individual stat presentable at an arbitration hearing says Binny is providing slightly below league average goaltending in the playoffs. Even though I think that is based on limitations of the stats, it is extremely difficult to present that argument to an arbitrator. The Blues would be able to make a compelling, stats based argument that while he was incredibly important to the team's success, that importance was about getting a stable, near-league-average presence behind a defense-first team with scoring ability down the lineup, not because he was a top 10 goalie in the league.

At the time he signed his extension, Murray was coming of a Cup run where he posted a .923 in the playoffs. While he had less regular season NHL experience than Binny (13 games vs 32), he posted a .930 in those games, had an AHL resume substantially better than Binny's, and was viewed as an elite prospect with more upside as a 22 year old. Cap inflation and his limited RFA eligibility helps Binny, but his overall resume is not as strong as Murray and doesn't merit a salary that is more than 50% greater than Murray's.

We've hit the point where Binny is going to get paid a strong AAV no matter what and it is (IMO) in everyone's interest to give him term and financial security instead of a 1 year deal. But that strong AAV is in the $3 mil-$4.5 mil range (depending on outcome), not 'top 10 NHL goalie' range.

From our perspective, we will be fine. Absolute worst case scenario, we will have $9 mil locked up in goaltending. That's $750k less than Boston currently does and $1.4 more than the Caps spent in 17/18. Realistically, our goalie spending will be well below that $9 mil either by moving Allen and/or not overpaying Binny.

Last edited:

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

The only way Binnington sees a 6 million figure in his annual pay is a front loaded contract paying 6 mil in year 1 of a long term deal back diving into the 2 mil range of a 6-7 year 4ish mil AAV contract. (Which I highly doubt Army offers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad