GDT: Blues @ Devils, 1:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
They actually have a higher GF/60 with Dougie. They generate more with him too. He's just simply a better player and one of the best PP Dmen in the league. It should be him.

If this is true it's only because Severson played on the awful 2nd unit at the beginning of the year.

I don't want Hamilton back on PP1 until I see for sure that he's back to 100%. I didn't see that many glaring mistakes from him today passing-wise.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
If this is true it's only because Severson played on the awful 2nd unit at the beginning of the year.

I don't want Hamilton back on PP1 until I see for sure that he's back to 100%. I didn't see that many glaring mistakes from him today passing-wise.

The one thing I will say is that PP1 is a lot more cerebral with Severson than it was with Hamliton and probably has to do with the latter's penchant of throwing every shot at net but when you sign a guy of Hamliton's caliber and skill, he should be running that spot.

Reactions: devilsblood

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
What I wanna know is how the hell were ''Let's Go Blues!'' chants so audible? That's just so random.

Obviously, it's expected when any of the 3 local teams in the region come in. They're all within a 2 hour drive at most. Even if it were Boston or Montreal or Toronto, as we heard a lot of Go Leafs Go last time they came in.

But St. Louis? It's like so far out there. It's probably almost an entire day's drive. Did they have a huge group come in there that traveled for the game or maybe showed up for the entire trip?

It's possible a large contingent traveled up this way for the three games in the area with us, the Rags and Fishsticks. Definitely spread out around the building and the "Let's Go Blues!" chant was pretty loud in the arena.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
The one thing I will say is that PP1 is a lot more cerebral with Severson than it was with Hamliton and probably has to do with the latter's penchant of throwing every shot at net but when you sign a guy of Hamliton's caliber and skill, he should be running that spot.
That is exactly the thing. The power play has looked better IMO and statistically produced better with Severson on it but people are freaking out and saying Hamilton should be on it because of his “caliber” and because we’re paying 9M for him.

I want Hughes and Bratt to have the puck and be making plays on that power play. Not Dougie floating pucks through everytime we get full possession. That’s what he does, he gets the puck and shoots it a lot. I’d love that on the second unit when we don’t have Jack open and looking to make plays. Severson is also very skilled and I really like how he moves and moves the puck on the power play.

Reactions: devilsblood

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
That is exactly the thing. The power play has looked better IMO and statistically produced better with Severson on it but people are freaking out and saying Hamilton should be on it because of his “caliber” and because we’re paying 9M for him.

I want Hughes and Bratt to have the puck and be making plays on that power play. Not Dougie floating pucks through everytime we get full possession. That’s what he does, he gets the puck and shoots it a lot. I’d love that on the second unit when we don’t have Jack open and looking to make plays. Severson is also very skilled and I really like how he moves and moves the puck on the power play.

I wouldn't be opposed to this at all especially when Holtz comes in, you have Jack and Bratt on PP1 and then Hamliton with a shot like Holtz on PP2. Could work out incredibly if it pans out but I definitely do think they're shopping Severson if he's gotten this much time on PP1 even with Hamliton back.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I wouldn't be opposed to this at all especially when Holtz comes in, you have Jack and Bratt on PP1 and then Hamliton with a shot like Holtz on PP2. Could work out incredibly if it pans out but I definitely do think they're shopping Severson if he's gotten this much time on PP1 even with Hamliton back.
I don’t think they’re shopping him although they may be listening to offers. I don’t think him being on the power play has anything to do with that. The power play has been better with him on it and he has done a very good job.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
You notice how not a single part of what you said mentioned anything about what he actually does on the power play. I like Severson on that powerplay more than Dougie. I think he’s a more skilled skater and puck handler and I like how he moves the puck with Jack and Bratt. The powerplay has been better and he has done well. Regardless of how he got there he has done well in the spot and shouldn’t be pushed out of the spot just because of what the Devils brought Dougie in to do and because he’s getting paid more and is a bigger name who has produced better in his career.

I found Dougie to be very frustrating on our first unit earlier in the season because we would get the puck moving and then he’d throw some early floater through that got covered, blocked and/or cleared and would completely kill our puck movement and offense at times. He still does that and I really like how Severson moves and moves the puck on the powerplay and I would like him to stay there.

I don’t think they’re trying to spread the wealth by putting Hamilton on the second unit at all. I think they just like Severson there more similar to myself and the power play has been better with Severson there than it was with Dougie before whether thats largely to do with Severson or not. I don’t know but I like him there more.

I honestly don’t know how anyone can say that Damon Severson is superior to Dougie Hamilton, in any facet of the game, especially the offensive side of things.

Shooting precise pucks on net is an art for any dman and Hamilton does that perfectly whereas Severson couldn’t hit the back side of a barn if his life depended on it, hence why he defers to both guys on the side walls. Hamilton’s hockey IQ is light years superior to Severson’s, which is a key part of picking the right option at the right time. Mistaken precise with soft is an awful way of analyzing Hamilton’s shot. Subban has a half hour windup and he rarely if ever hits his target.

Also, the PP got better the second we added a net front presence that can actually screen the goaltender, tip pucks and cash in on garbage goals, which has nothing to do with Damon and everything to do with Bastian.

Reactions: mdj12784

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I honestly don’t know how anyone can say that Damon Severson is superior to Dougie Hamilton, in any facet of the game, especially the offensive side of things.

Shooting precise pucks on net is an art for any dman and Hamilton does that perfectly whereas Severson couldn’t hit the back side of a barn if his life depended on it. Mistaken precise with soft is an awful way of analyzing Hamilton’s shot. Subban has a half hour windup and he rarely if ever hits his target.

Also, the PP got better the second we added a net front presence that can actually screen the goaltender, tip pucks and cash in on garbage goals, which has nothing to do with Damon and everything to do with Bastian.

Go look at Hamliton's shot attempts versus the shots on goals he's had recently before you say this.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Go look at Hamliton's shot attempts versus the shots on goals he's had recently before you say this.

Why look at an entire career when you can look at a small sample size.

Honestly, I must be taking crazy pills because it’s almost as if some are trying to convince me that Damon Severson is a better offensive player than Dougie Hamilton.

Maybe Hamilton’s been out too long that the memory of certain posters is starting to fade a little, because that’s really the only logical explanation I can think of.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

Shooting precise pucks on net is an art for any dman and Hamilton does that perfectly whereas Severson couldn’t hit the back side of a barn if his life depended on it, hence why he defers to both guys on the side walls. Hamilton’s hockey IQ is light years superior to Severson’s, which is a key part of picking the right option at the right time. Mistaken precise with soft is an awful way of analyzing Hamilton’s shot. Subban has a half hour windup and he rarely if ever hits his target.

Lol I never said Severson was superior to Dougie. I just like him on our pp1 and thinks he’s done well and is a better fit.

lol again. Severson who can’t hit the back side of a barn gets a higher percentage of his shots on goal (51.1%) than precision shooter Dougie Hamilton (48.6%). Don’t mistake quantity for quality.

And sure the pp getting better was all because of Bastian and Severson gets no credit. I personally think he’s been much better there than Hamilton there and deserves his fair share of credit.

Last edited:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Why look at an entire career when you can look at a small sample size.

Honestly, I must be taking crazy pills because it’s almost as if some are trying to convince me that Damon Severson is a better offensive player than Dougie Hamilton.

Maybe Hamilton’s been out too long that the memory of certain posters is starting to fade a little, because that’s really the only logical explanation I can think of.
Well I’m not sure where anyone has said Severson is a better offensive player than Hamilton but go off brother.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
You notice how not a single part of what you said mentioned anything about what he actually does on the power play. I like Severson on that powerplay more than Dougie. I think he’s a more skilled skater and puck handler and I like how he moves the puck with Jack and Bratt. The powerplay has been better and he has done well. Regardless of how he got there he has done well in the spot and shouldn’t be pushed out of the spot just because of what the Devils brought Dougie in to do and because he’s getting paid more and is a bigger name who has produced better in his career.

I found Dougie to be very frustrating on our first unit earlier in the season because we would get the puck moving and then he’d throw some early floater through that got covered, blocked and/or cleared and would completely kill our puck movement and offense at times. He still does that and I really like how Severson moves and moves the puck on the powerplay and I would like him to stay there.

I don’t think they’re trying to spread the wealth by putting Hamilton on the second unit at all. I think they just like Severson there more similar to myself and the power play has been better with Severson there than it was with Dougie before whether thats largely to do with Severson or not. I don’t know but I like him there more.

I said before the season that I don't want them to use Dougie at the point. Sure he's done it before but that's not his strength. His strength is blasting one timers like Ovie (although not nearly as good lol). His strength is his shot, not his playmaking so they really should utilize that on the pp imo. If they really want him on 2nd pp, at least put someone else at point and have him take the role of a shooter at the half wall.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I said before the season that I don't want them to use Dougie at the point. Sure he's done it before but that's not his strength. His strength is blasting one timers like Ovie (although not nearly as good lol). His strength is his shot, not his playmaking so they really should utilize that on the pp imo. If they really want him on 2nd pp, at least put someone else at point and have him take the role of a shooter at the half wall.

I mean that's always where he's played and it lead to him being the best PP Dman in the league.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I mean that's always where he's played and it lead to him being the best PP Dman in the league.
Sorry but says who and when was this? He hasn’t looked that great to me. Just takes a lot of not very dangerous looking shots and kind of kills the offense.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
This would be different but I wouldn’t be against trying it.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Sorry but says who and when was this? He hasn’t looked that great to me. Just takes a lot of not very dangerous looking shots and kind of kills the offense.

He has done both roles of pp qb and shooter on half wall, and it's from watching games lol. How else would we know? o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad