GDT: Blues @ Devils, 1:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Right on the money. Daws is showing good things as a 21 year old coming in cold. He's keeping us in games at least. Couldn't say that about Gillies.
Yeah he's really just been average but for a 21 year old who was like the 5th string coming into the year that's more than acceptable. All this team needs to be pretty adequate is league average anyway.
I am still somewhat afraid that if he plays well, he'll be one of the NHL roster goalies to start next year. And that's unacceptable. That's how Blackwood had a roster spot the next year, by coming in later in the 18-19 season, which was also out of necessity, as Cory was injured/bad and Keith Kinkaid was not holding up well in his second straight year of getting an NHL 1a workload.

Daws has come in out of necessity because Gillies is TRASH, Schmid hasn't performed as well as him and everybody else got injured or waived.

I think it would be a major overreaction to pencil him in for the NHL roster next year, although I really feel like Blackwood is probably on the way out out of the organization after next year, barring a very huge turnaround and bounceback, which opens the door for Daws to possibly be a full timer in 2023-2024.

Blackwood was already in his third pro season when he made his NHL debut and Daws is in his first, even though Blackwood was really only a year older. But again, I don't think the plan was for Blackwood to play as many games as he did in 18-19. He probably wouldn't have gotten a look at all until 19-20, because I don't remember Schneider and Kinkaid both being injured at the same time in 18-19. In 17-18 I think they were and Appleby got in a couple games and I think Blackwood even dressed as the backup.

Best case scenario is we acquire somebody and Daws starts next year in the AHL. If we see the same play out of Blackwood then you waive him not too far into the season (just like Schneider in 2019) and up comes Daws.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Honestly, as much as I have blasted him, I have no desire to swap him for a guy like Boesser. Either he takes a reasonable deal or he can walk, but I don't see how we possibly win a trade involving him unless he is just a piece of it.
Don't know how possible it is, but Zacha for an OK goalie?

Or maybe Zacha for a grittier guy who can play in the mid 6.

Don't think Zacha for a better point producer is legit option.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was more confident heading into OT than I was at any point in the 3rd period, simply because we probably weren't gonna get a power play, which for the last few games gives us a better chance to score and probably a better chance not to get scored on, as we were really coming close to getting scored on during both of those 3rd period power plays.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Nice win. The Devils did a nice job overcoming St. Louis' physicality and shot blocking. Colton Parayko in particular was phenomenal for the Blues -- blocking shots, passes and passing lanes all over the place while winning every one-on-one battle for the entire game.

I felt the Devils best player was Hughes, who was outstanding, generating offense out of nothing all game long. He might be the best player in the history of the Devils at gaining the offensive zone with possession. He had two assists, but may have deserved a 4-point game if it weren't for the great work by Parayko and great play of Husso in net.

Zacha coming back certainly made a difference, and I felt he played a terrific game. That assist on Hamilton's overtime goal was simply dazzling. He was dangerous offensively all game long.

It was a nice team defensive effort, and I think we need to give some serious credit to Nico Daws who played well yet again between the pipes.

Just two criticisms from the game. One was the Devils again had trouble getting to the opposing net for screens, deflections and rebounds -- a constant problem against more physical teams which needs to be addressed. And -- happy as I was that Ty Smith scored -- he again made crucial mistakes defensively and positionally in both Blues goals. Ty really needs to work on his defensive play, as it continually costs his team.

But overall it was a nice win, and a simply beautiful finish by Hamilton on the OT winner. Having Dougie back has been a huge boost to the team, he's really a heck of a weapon on that back line.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Business as usual for Zacha

Greatest 3v3 player of all time
A4C97FAF-E362-4CE3-99F3-D966DAAB39CB.jpeg

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Don't know how possible it is, but Zacha for an OK goalie?

Or maybe Zacha for a grittier guy who can play in the mid 6.

Don't think Zacha for a better point producer is legit option.
I've been saying that for a while that Zacha for a goalie would be good.

But what goalie? I'm not sure. I'd like to get this summer's version of Nedeljkovic, but just like the actual Nedeljkovic, anyone like that who we might acquire may not be ready for such a big jump in games played next year. At least not successfully.

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
Nice win. The Devils did a nice job overcoming St. Louis' physicality and shot blocking. Colton Parayko in particular was phenomenal for the Blues -- blocking shots, passes and passing lanes all over the place while winning every one-on-one battle for the entire game.

I felt the Devils best player was Hughes, who was outstanding, generating offense out of nothing all game long. He might be the best player in the history of the Devils at gaining the offensive zone with possession. He had two assists, but may have deserved a 4-point game if it weren't for the great work by Parayko and great play of Husso in net.

Zacha coming back certainly made a difference, and I felt he played a terrific game. That assist on Hamilton's overtime goal was simply dazzling. He was dangerous offensively all game long.

It was a nice team defensive effort, and I think we need to give some serious credit to Nico Daws who played well yet again between the pipes.

Just two criticisms from the game. One was the Devils again had trouble getting to the opposing net for screens, deflections and rebounds -- a constant problem against more physical teams which needs to be addressed. And -- happy as I was that Ty Smith scored -- he again made crucial mistakes defensively and positionally in both Blues goals. Ty really needs to work on his defensive play, as it continually costs his team.

But overall it was a nice win, and a simply beautiful finish by Hamilton on the OT winner. Having Dougie back has been a huge boost to the team, he's really a heck of a weapon on that back line.
Mr Scott Gomez wasnt too shabby at bringing the puck in the zone either

But you can take it a step further and say Jack is pretty clearly the best offensive talent we've had, unless you count Kovalchuk's prime with Atlanta.. Jack has a few years before he surpasses that, considering the goal totals. And then obviously prime Jagr. But in terms of players during their tenures here, hes gonna be the best ever pretty soon

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

But what goalie? I'm not sure. I'd like to get this summer's version of Nedeljkovic, but just like the actual Nedeljkovic, anyone like that who we might acquire may not be ready for such a big jump in games played next year. At least not successfully.

Just give Husso a ton on a short term deal and see how that goes. I'd rather do that than probably any trade out there

Reactions: StevenToddIves

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I am still somewhat afraid that if he plays well, he'll be one of the NHL roster goalies to start next year. And that's unacceptable. That's how Blackwood had a roster spot the next year, by coming in later in the 18-19 season, which was also out of necessity, as Cory was injured/bad and Keith Kinkaid was not holding up well in his second straight year of getting an NHL 1a workload.

Daws has come in out of necessity because Gillies is TRASH, Schmid hasn't performed as well as him and everybody else got injured or waived.

I think it would be a major overreaction to pencil him in for the NHL roster next year, although I really feel like Blackwood is probably on the way out out of the organization after next year, barring a very huge turnaround and bounceback, which opens the door for Daws to possibly be a full timer in 2023-2024.

Blackwood was already in his third pro season when he made his NHL debut and Daws is in his first, even though Blackwood was really only a year older. But again, I don't think the plan was for Blackwood to play as many games as he did in 18-19. He probably wouldn't have gotten a look at all until 19-20, because I don't remember Schneider and Kinkaid both being injured at the same time in 18-19. In 17-18 I think they were and Appleby got in a couple games and I think Blackwood even dressed as the backup.

Best case scenario is we acquire somebody and Daws starts next year in the AHL. If we see the same play out of Blackwood then you waive him not too far into the season (just like Schneider in 2019) and up comes Daws.
I think the bigger concern in penciling in a Daws Blackwood tandem is, Blackwood has not proven he can stay healthy.

If we could count on Blackwood to play 50+ games then maybe you roll the dice, but he just hasn't proven that he can handle #1 minutes.

Think we have to bring a guy in, hope everyone is healthy, and then maybe you trade Bernier or Blackwood.

Reactions: NJDevs26

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia

Ideally, the starting guy on the rangers lol

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
binnington still has 5 more seasons after this one at @6M
He's a highly average at best goalie, which I have no problem with saying, despite the fact that I only count an extremely low percentage of his goals allowed as stoppable. Last year it was like under 18%, this year it's 23%, which is still very good, because my league average is around 28% or a little better than 28%.

But he really hasn't had a great season, other than his rookie year. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him turn into exactly what Matt Murray turned into.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I assume you're not mentioning the PP because it is too obvious.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
@Bleedred why the angst towards Daws? Hes showed well. Am I ready to hand him 1B to Blackwoods theoretical 1A? Probably not but he's looked very solid.
There is no angst, other than the idea that he's ready to be given a full time NHL roster spot next year.

Quite honestly, that sounds like another symptom of Gillies Syndrome. That's the latest symptom of Gillies Syndrome.

I feel it's VERY DANGEROUS to assume that he's ready to be one of the two goalies on this team next year. Unless you have Vasilevskiy, Saros, Demko or Hellebuyck here (one of the workhorse goalies that can play A LOT of games) next year, he really can't start the year here.

What Fitzy NEEDS to do is not be f***ing lazy and f***ing acquire somebody somehow and I guess the tandem starts out as acquired guy/Blackwood. Bernier can't be relied on to play and who knows if he'll be cleared by the start of the season? And if he is, I expect him to look like Rask did when he played this year or Ben Bishop in his AHL game he played a few days before just deciding to hang them up. At the very least, I figure Bernier will play in the AHL on a conditioning stint before they give him any NHL games.

And if Blackwood starts the year shitty like his last two years have been? You waive him, just like we did with Schneider early in 19-20 and you call up Daws then if you have to.

There's probably a slightly better than 50% chance that Blackwood is not in the organization by the 2023-2024 season, with his contract expiring after next year and missing a very significant number of games during it, as well as wildly underperforming on it. Right now I'm 65%-70% sure Blackwood is gone after next year, but if he stays healthy and plays well while doing it it I think those chances go down and his chances of staying go up.

For Daws to be on the team to start next year he has to really light the world on fire and he's not really doing that right now.

Once again, I'm not trying to dump on Daws, but thinking he's shown enough right now to be on the NHL roster next year is just the latest symptom of Gillies Syndrome.

That could be a LETHAL mistake for Tom Fitzgerald, one that could cause his job to end more prematurely than it would have.

If you really think Daws has shown enough right now that he's cruising for one of the two goalies spots on this team to start next season then it's really time to pump the brakes.

Reactions: Hisch13r
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad