Blues defense

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
If Parayko is what he appears to be, and completes his season successfully this year...at what point does he make Shattenkirk expendable? I'm assuming Pietro stays regardless of all else.

I want to keep Shattenkirk, but he has good trade value and in 2-3 years it's harder to see the Blues keep all three on the right side. If they were willing to dangle Shattenkirk this past offseason, I would think they may see what the bidding yields again this summer.

The Blues should definitely dangle Shattenkirk this summer if Parayko shows he can be a #3 by the end of the season. We do not, however, make the trade unless we are blown away and/or Parayko shows himself to be an ELITE #3.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'd rather dangle Bouwmeester and re-sign Shatty

So would we all looking at it only as who is the better player. However, no way Shattenkirk signs for Jbo's salary ($5.4M). We will be EXTREMELY lucky to get him at Petro's ($6.5). If he keeps playing at his level or a little better, he could yield $7-8M on open market easy. Secondly, as has been pointed out, we are weaker on the left side than right. While Edmundson and Lindbohm are awesome guys to have, Parayko is definitely the best of the group and most likely to be able to step into a prime role. And don't forget Schmaltz, the most highly touted of our D prospects when he was drafted. He could be ready for a spot as soon as next year, but conservatively, in 2-3. Having Petro, Shatty and Parayko locked up long term would make him total trade fodder, and we won't get the value back that he could potentially bring if he plays. Jbo+Schmaltz won't net you near the return of Shatty.

As for people wanting LH PMD, I actually like what we have. I think Lindbohm and Edmundson are nice compliments to our righties. They have some grit which our righties lack. They are more likely to stay at home and play D as well. Edmundson showed it when Parayko turned the puck over heading up ice. He stayed back and saved goals. Finally, they do have the skills to jump into the play when needed. If the other team is keying on our righties, a quick pass across and they are more than capable to get it up the ice quickly. That's the kind of balance we need, not PMD everywhere and nobody who can hit.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
So would we all looking at it only as who is the better player. However, no way Shattenkirk signs for Jbo's salary ($5.4M). We will be EXTREMELY lucky to get him at Petro's ($6.5). If he keeps playing at his level or a little better, he could yield $7-8M on open market easy. Secondly, as has been pointed out, we are weaker on the left side than right. While Edmundson and Lindbohm are awesome guys to have, Parayko is definitely the best of the group and most likely to be able to step into a prime role. And don't forget Schmaltz, the most highly touted of our D prospects when he was drafted. He could be ready for a spot as soon as next year, but conservatively, in 2-3. Having Petro, Shatty and Parayko locked up long term would make him total trade fodder, and we won't get the value back that he could potentially bring if he plays. Jbo+Schmaltz won't net you near the return of Shatty.

As for people wanting LH PMD, I actually like what we have. I think Lindbohm and Edmundson are nice compliments to our righties. They have some grit which our righties lack. They are more likely to stay at home and play D as well. Edmundson showed it when Parayko turned the puck over heading up ice. He stayed back and saved goals. Finally, they do have the skills to jump into the play when needed. If the other team is keying on our righties, a quick pass across and they are more than capable to get it up the ice quickly. That's the kind of balance we need, not PMD everywhere and nobody who can hit.
It's crazy how our defense went from somewhat suspect to money from within. Armstrong was raving about Edmundson since last year. I think we've still only seen a glimpse of how well he can play.

The big issue I have with our defense right now is how they are mentality. They know they have guys right behind them ready go snag a spot at the first glimpse of faulter. We don't know as fans but I hope Hitch starts to instill more confidence in Edmundson. He was leaps and bounds better last night then opening night. He needs to know he won't get yanked if he makes a mistake. They will happen....hell look at Pietrangelo....he's captian gaff already.

Imo Bortuzzo offers nothing over Edmundson or Parayko if the rookies prove they are ready to shoulder the load. I was a big fan of Bortuzzo...but yea.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Bortuzzo absolutely endeared himself to me when he immediately went after Bollig after that clown cheap-shotted Jackman. I think this ream needs more of that. Having said that, Borts is clearly our no. 7 D, as much as I love him.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I think if we don't get it done this year, Shatty most likely gets traded in the offseason.

Even if he has a solid post-season, like he has had the past couple years? Since the Hawks series, Shattenkirk has 13 points in 12 playoff games. Our biggest problem has been key players disappearing in the playoffs. Shattenkirk has shown that he not only shows up in the playoffs, but he rises to the occasion, much like Tarasenko and Pietrangelo.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't trade him, I'm just saying that getting bounced from the playoffs shouldn't be what triggers us to want to move Shatty, unless he has an awful post-season, but that's unlike him.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Let's not forget Edmundson, he's been very solid. I think he's earned to be a regular at this point. Be had 1 gaff that i remember tonight. Which was quickly forgotten when he mauled Hall...I mean he just had his way with him in the corner. We need that

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Let's not forget Edmundson, he's been very solid. I think he's earned to be a regular at this point. Be had 1 gaff that i remember tonight. Which was quickly forgotten when he mauled Hall...I mean he just had his way with him in the corner. We need that

He holds both blue lines pretty well. Definitely earned a spot and will keep it as long as he keeps up solid play like we've seen.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
We saw tonight how much The Blues' power play needs Shattenkirk. I don't want to see him traded, nor Pietrangelo traded to keep him (that would be completely irrational). I'd like to see Shattenkirk kept at a reasonable price, Backes also kept on a home-town discount. But, seeing Backes wear down, I don't want to see him get a 4 or 5 year contract with The Blues at even $5 million per average.

There will be some tough decisions. I'd like to see Bouwmeester kept too. But I'd rather see him go before Shattenkirk. Parayko, Edmundson, Lindbohm. Schmaltz and Dunn will likely ALL be quality 2-way defencemen within a few years. But, I'd wait until the end of this season to deal with the problem.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

Edmundson has been playing extremely well for a rookie. He suffers greatly from starting out in The NHL at the same time as phenom Parayko. Sure, Edmundson has made rookie errors. But, his % of good plays vs. errors is getting better each game, and he's showing a lot of good capabilities in a lot of different facets of a defenceman's play.

He looks like he's got a very high-end potential(maybe even #2, paired with an offensive #1 (at the peak of his career), but very likely at least #3, as the anchor of a 2nd pairing, if he keeps developing).

By the end of this season, and going into the playoffs, he may be able to anchor the 3rd pairing, with Parayko playing on the 2nd pairing (over Gunnarsson) -possibly with someone playing on his off side.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
We saw tonight how much The Blues' power play needs Shattenkirk. I don't want to see him traded, nor Pietrangelo traded to keep him (that would be completely irrational). I'd like to see Shattenkirk kept at a reasonable price, Backes also kept on a home-town discount. But, seeing Backes wear down, I don't want to see him get a 4 or 5 year contract with The Blues at even $5 million per average.

There will be some tough decisions. I'd like to see Bouwmeester kept too. But I'd rather see him go before Shattenkirk. Parayko, Edmundson, Lindbohm. Schmaltz and Dunn will likely ALL be quality 2-way defencemen within a few years. But, I'd wait until the end of this season to deal with the problem.

You're talking about getting rid of Schwartz, then. We've got Shattenkirk, Backes, and Schwartzy all due for contracts this upcoming summer. We can keep two. Which do you keep?

Assuming that Backes would take a "home-town discount", i.e. a paycut is just ridiculous, in my opinion. It'll never happen. There's plenty of teams out there that would give him a raise and term, even in his latter years. He's Captain Blue, and that might appeal to him, but I would be very, very surprised if he doesn't take the biggest contract. He's got a young family. If he's going to move, the time is now, and I wouldn't blame him. He's on the 3rd line here right now, is that the role he really wants to be playing for the rest of his career?

I know I'm jumping the gun here, but everything I've seen and read about Parayko says that he's our next captain. He's a leader. Once he gets used to the team and the league, he'll lead this team too. Maybe we get rid of Backes, keep Shatty and Schwartz, and name Steen our captain for the remainder of his time here. Once his few years are up, put the C on Parayko and let the good times roll.

I also want to keep Backes, but we can't keep all 3, and I might have to agree that Shatty and Schwartz are more valuable than Backes is right now. He looked downright sluggish tonight. Physical, but sluggish.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
You're talking about getting rid of Schwartz, then. We've got Shattenkirk, Backes, and Schwartzy all due for contracts this upcoming summer. We can keep two. Which do you keep?

Assuming that Backes would take a "home-town discount", i.e. a paycut is just ridiculous, in my opinion. It'll never happen. There's plenty of teams out there that would give him a raise and term, even in his latter years. He's Captain Blue, and that might appeal to him, but I would be very, very surprised if he doesn't take the biggest contract. He's got a young family. If he's going to move, the time is now, and I wouldn't blame him. He's on the 3rd line here right now, is that the role he really wants to be playing for the rest of his career?

I know I'm jumping the gun here, but everything I've seen and read about Parayko says that he's our next captain. He's a leader. Once he gets used to the team and the league, he'll lead this team too. Maybe we get rid of Backes, keep Shatty and Schwartz, and name Steen our captain for the remainder of his time here. Once his few years are up, put the C on Parayko and let the good times roll.

I also want to keep Backes, but we can't keep all 3, and I might have to agree that Shatty and Schwartz are more valuable than Backes is right now. He looked downright sluggish tonight. Physical, but sluggish.

If it really comes to not being able to keep all 3, we'd HAVE to let Backes go. No way would I keep the aging (battered) Backes and let go young and-upcoming Schwartz. But, I don't like the idea of trading him off just before the playoffs. It's a tough decision.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

I saw Parayko on the left side so much last night I'm beginning to think you're right about moving him there now and dealing with the situational issues it forces him to overcome. Now you would have:

55-27
19-22
4/6-41

I would love to see Parayko paired with Petro, and I think it would do both JBo and Petro some good to be split up as they just don't seem to click as a pairing at ES, though they seem fine together on the PK. Then move JBo and let Gunnarsson walk in the offseason, and you have a Top 6 for 2016-17 of:

55-27
48-22
6-41/Schmaltz

You can always go out and find a serviceable #6 RHD in the JBo deal or as a UFA if Schmaltz isn't ready and you're not comfortable with Bortuzzo playing every night.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It was funny to watch both Edmundson and Bortuzzo go after Hall. Borts and Hall were funny to watch in front of the Blues' net when the Blues were on the PK. Definitely like that stuff.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I saw Parayko on the left side so much last night I'm beginning to think you're right about moving him there now and dealing with the situational issues it forces him to overcome. Now you would have:

55-27
19-22
4/6-41

I would love to see Parayko paired with Petro, and I think it would do both JBo and Petro some good to be split up as they just don't seem to click as a pairing at ES, though they seem fine together on the PK. Then move JBo and let Gunnarsson walk in the offseason, and you have a Top 6 for 2016-17 of:

55-27
48-22
6-41/Schmaltz

You can always go out and find a serviceable #6 RHD in the JBo deal or as a UFA if Schmaltz isn't ready and you're not comfortable with Bortuzzo playing every night.

I'm NOT comfortable with Bortuzzo playing every night, despite his good play in his last 2 games.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box

55-27
19-22
4/6-41

55-27
48-22
6-41/Schmaltz

After watching a few games of Parayko and Edmundson, I would rather see Petro with Edmundson or JBo. Both Parayko and Petro wonder too much in the offense. Leave the goalie high and dry too much. I think Parayko would be better served with JBo or Edmundson. Not that either are bad players, it is just their style of defensive play. I say this too. I think Petro is off to one of the better starts of his career. he is playing with far more passion and getting his body involved. He still could stand to be stronger on his skates, but I like him making controlled contact with his opposition bodying them out more this year creating separation between the puck and the opposition.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Edmundson had another beauty of a play when he was perusing a forward who tried the ol drop the puck to the pinching dman.... Edmundson read it and crushed the dman.

This man has some damn good defensive zone reads

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Aside from the first game when he was obviously nervous which is completely understandable, Edmundson has looked nothing like a rookie.

He's going to get overshadowed by Parayko constantly but he's been fantastic as far as I'm concerned. His nastiness on the backend will be second to no one on this team.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
You know what my favorite thing is. Some writer got all bent out of shape when I called him out for his rankings. I basically said all you did was skim through everyone else's analysis. No actual hands on research. I told him Edmundson and Parayko were ahead of Schmaltz and of course he just brushed it off...especially the Parayko. I think I'll wait till mid season and these guys are killing it to resurrect that.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
You know what my favorite thing is. Some writer got all bent out of shape when I called him out for his rankings. I basically said all you did was skim through everyone else's analysis. No actual hands on research. I told him Edmundson and Parayko were ahead of Schmaltz and of course he just brushed it off...especially the Parayko. I think I'll wait till mid season and these guys are killing it to resurrect that.

What was it a ranking of?

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Prospect pools I think.

Amazing how ours sucks again lol. Assuming Fabbri, Edmundson and Parayko stay

Well, every writer and scout covering the NHL missed on Parayko. Probably why they are all overly defensive. They claim to be experts, but they totally missed on their prospect predictions, lol. Blues got a steal in the third round when they drafted this kid and he has developed much faster than anyone ever predicted. A lot of people missed on Tarasenko, mostly because they thought he wouldn't come to the NHL to play. Blues have made some good steals in the draft the last couple of years.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Well, every writer and scout covering the NHL missed on Parayko. Blues got a steal in the third round when they drafted this kid and he has developed much faster than anyone ever predicted. A lot of people missed on Tarasenko, mostly because they thought he wouldn't come to the NHL to play. Blues have made some good steals in the draft the last couple of years.
Oh I Deffinently got the "pffft what do you" from him lol. If I were a writer I'd listen to fanbases to an extent, that's how you can pick up on the up and comers that don't have a big name. He basically blew me off and look who's in the NHL opening night. Edmundson and Parayko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad