Blues defense

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Seems we're all over the threads with defense talk. Figured we could use a central thread to keep it all together.

We've been discussing who should in and out. Article today said Hitch will keep reevaluating for about 10 games till he solidifies the top 6. The 3rd pairing will be the revolving door. It also mentioned Gunnarsson is the focus of who might be the guy out as Edmundson showed in preseason he can play with Shattenkirk.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
If Gunnarsson keeps faltering, I have a feeling the 3 spots will be taken up by Lindbohm, Edmundson and Parayko.

Bort doesn't appear to be outplaying his right handed competition (Parayko), and Gunn has been uhhh, something.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I've been beating the trade Gunnarsson drum for a week or 2, but I fully concede that he deserves the benefit of the doubt and at least plays till Nov. He injured his groin though....I'd hate to enter another Boumeester situation where his mobility is gone. He'd be great to keep around but with his cap hit...he just can't sit. I'm sure other teams would constantly be calling if the situation arose where Gunnarsson started to be a healthy scratch. I've said it before...if Edmundson sticks, I'm fine with bringing Lindbohm back up and having Bortuzzo as the 7th and Butler as the 8th. If we get to Harold and Benoit....Gunnarsson wouldn't be saving the day anythings...our defense would be decimated regardless

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
I'm fine with him getting more games to get up to speed, but if he doesn't, there is no justification for him playing. But then again, we saw a pairing of Jax/Michalek all playoffs last year, so...

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm fine with him getting more games to get up to speed, but if he doesn't, there is no justification for him playing. But then again, we saw a pairing of Jax/Michalek all playoffs last year, so...

I honestly think this year is different. Edmundson and Parayko broke that sentiment....along with Fabbri starting out in the top 6

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Seems we're all over the threads with defense talk. Figured we could use a central thread to keep it all together.

We've been discussing who should in and out. Article today said Hitch will keep reevaluating for about 10 games till he solidifies the top 6. The 3rd pairing will be the revolving door. It also mentioned Gunnarsson is the focus of who might be the guy out as Edmundson showed in preseason he can play with Shattenkirk.

I got the impression that Gunnarsson isn't really in the mix for the 3rd pairing, if he loses his spot with Shattenkirk. I don't think Hitchcock sees things much differently than the common sentiment on this board, just that he shows some patience and allows veteran players to work through their ups and downs before making moves.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I've been beating the trade Gunnarsson drum for a week or 2, but I fully concede that he deserves the benefit of the doubt and at least plays till Nov. He injured his groin though....I'd hate to enter another Boumeester situation where his mobility is gone. He'd be great to keep around but with his cap hit...he just can't sit. I'm sure other teams would constantly be calling if the situation arose where Gunnarsson started to be a healthy scratch. I've said it before...if Edmundson sticks, I'm fine with bringing Lindbohm back up and having Bortuzzo as the 7th and Butler as the 8th. If we get to Harold and Benoit....Gunnarsson wouldn't be saving the day anythings...our defense would be decimated regardless

I'll qualify this by admitting that it's a very, very small sample size, but Benoit had 3 assists in the Wolves' win this weekend. He might not be a terrible option if we get down that far. Certainly wouldn't be my first choice to bring up, but he was making stuff happen down there for sure.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Benoit sucks, he won't see much if any.

Pietrangelo
Shattenkirk
Bouwmeester
Gunnarsson
Parayko
Edmundson
Bortozzo
Lindbohm
Butler

That's the 9 that will be used this year, which is roughly the amount that will typically be used in a season. Benoit and Harrold are only NHL caliber on bad NHL teams or just bad defenses like Buffalo, Colorado, Ottawa, and New Jersey.

If we get decimated with injuries, we'd make a trade before Benoit and Harrold play any sort of significant minutes.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Lol Benoit is awful, this guy could barely crack the Avs defense. Besides, as mentioned before, Butler and Lindbohm are both easily ahead of him.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I can't wait to see Parayko have a solid offensive game and put up a couple points. It's crazy how much I look forward to watching Parayko play when I'm gonna tune into a Blues game

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think there is a lot of exaggeration with our defensive "issues". We are lucky to have the depth that we have. Gunnarsson, while he hasn't been great, would be snatched up by most teams if we put him on waivers. Then to have Butler and Linbohm as or 8th and 9th D. Come on? Who goes that deep. And nobody has 4 D better than our 4 best if Parayko really develops like we hope. I am usually the negative one, but we have a really nice situation this year, but especially going forward as our young guys gain confidence. Our D is our strong point. The only thing I'd complain about is if we went with 3 rookies, as they will make rookie mistakes throughout the year. But we need to have a goalie solidify himself as the starter and develop secondary scoring. If we do that, then our minor D issues won't matter.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think there is a lot of exaggeration with our defensive "issues". We are lucky to have the depth that we have. Gunnarsson, while he hasn't been great, would be snatched up by most teams if we put him on waivers. Then to have Butler and Linbohm as or 8th and 9th D. Come on? Who goes that deep. And nobody has 4 D better than our 4 best if Parayko really develops like we hope. I am usually the negative one, but we have a really nice situation this year, but especially going forward as our young guys gain confidence. Our D is our strong point. The only thing I'd complain about is if we went with 3 rookies, as they will make rookie mistakes throughout the year. But we need to have a goalie solidify himself as the starter and develop secondary scoring. If we do that, then our minor D issues won't matter.
This is why we don't need to do anything now, but if Gunnarsson doesnt improve he will be a weak point that can be replaced internally.

There's one other thing. Can our damn defenseman hussle back to get a damn puck for once...my god they are so slow about it

RR10*

Never liked Gunnarsson as a Blue. He's probably the weakest defenseman we've had and his decision making and positioning in the d-zone is lame. If i knew he would be this lame I would definitely keep Polak over him.

Also I'm glad Jackman isn't longer part of this team. He was our weakest d-man in the playoffs and got exploated every time.

I'm really happy to see Parayko play. He's not shy or nervous and plays with authority, which is impressive for a rookie youngster. He will definitely be a good top 4 defenseman for years to come.

I'm not sold on Edmundson yet. But I've just seen a few games so it's really a small sample size. I hope he will play better and stick around.

Lindbohm - Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester - Shattenkirk
Edmundson - Parayko

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I have a question for you guys. I see a lot of people have Parayko always as the 3rd pairing right handed dman. Hypothetically speaking, if he was a left handed shot, where would you guys think he would fit in? #1 pairing with Petro? #2 pairing with Shatt or still #3 pairing?

Is it strictly cause he is right handed you guys have him on the 3rd pairing, or do you not quite think he is good enough yet for top 4 duties?

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I have a question for you guys. I see a lot of people have Parayko always as the 3rd pairing right handed dman. Hypothetically speaking, if he was a left handed shot, where would you guys think he would fit in? #1 pairing with Petro? #2 pairing with Shatt or still #3 pairing?

Is it strictly cause he is right handed you guys have him on the 3rd pairing, or do you not quite think he is good enough yet for top 4 duties?

Well, he's a rookie so he would likely be getting controlled minutes regardless of his handedness but yeah, he'd probably be a bit more likely to get a bit more minutes and/or play 2nd pairing if he was a lefty.

But he's not...so...it is what it is.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Well, he's a rookie so he would likely be getting controlled minutes regardless of his handedness but yeah, he'd probably be a bit more likely to get a bit more minutes and/or play 2nd pairing if he was a lefty.

But he's not...so...it is what it is.

Ya I was just leading up to my next question of if he is capable of playing on his off side. I just think he is going to be extremely special but Blues have Petro and Shatt there on the right side and both those guys are 2 of the better dmen in the league right now and so young

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Ya I was just leading up to my next question of if he is capable of playing on his off side. I just think he is going to be extremely special but Blues have Petro and Shatt there on the right side and both those guys are 2 of the better dmen in the league right now and so young

Parayko could "possibly" make Shattenkirk available next...I stress the word possible. He played a little on the left against Minny when Hitch played Boumeester, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk and Parayko heavily in the 3rd.

I really don't know what to say about...Parayko, other then ALL HAIL PARAYKO, our savior has arrived lol....

He just keeps impressing and impressing. It's very hard to contain enthusiasm about him

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Parayko could "possibly" make Shattenkirk available next...I stress the word possible. He played a little on the left against Minny when Hitch played Boumeester, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk and Parayko heavily in the 3rd.

I really don't know what to say about...Parayko, other then ALL HAIL PARAYKO, our savior has arrived lol....

He just keeps impressing and impressing. It's very hard to contain enthusiasm about him

haha I know... its ridiculous that with all the talent Blues have, I get excited to watch a Blues game so I can see Parayko play haha

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Parayko really is something else. I'm fine with Gunnar and/or Edmundson sitting every couple games and bringing up Lindbohm. I don't think any of the three are clearly better than the others. Kids obviously have more room to grow, though.

RR10*

If he was lefty and kept playing like he has, I'd pair him with Pietro on the first.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I personally think the pairings should be

Lindbohm-Pietrangelo
Edmundson-Shattenkirk
Bouwmesster-Parayko
Gunnarsson, Bort

But do to roster cap and Gunnarsson being paid so much it obviously won't happen. If Gunnarsson is to play I would actually like to see these pairings.

Gunnarsson-Pietrangelo
Edmundson-Shattenkirk
Bouwmeester-Parayko
Bort

Bort would move in every 3 or 4 games, he should only be used as a 7th guy to give one of the main guys rest. If someone gets injured Lindbohm should be called up and be placed in the lineup ahead of Bort.

I don't think we should trade Gunnar until the trade deadline if we even do trade him at all and just let him walk in UFA.

justde

Apr 12, 2015
I haven´t seen Carl play this year. Sounds like he need some time to come back to his form.

But I´m afraid that many on the board don´t really understand how valueable his is or how his style of play is. Same in Toronto where fans didn´t like his style. But coaches like the style because he is a perfect compliment to offensive d-men. He had Phaneufs back in Toronto, and he has Shattys here. Gunnars strength is his sound positions. He reads the game well and is very good in blocking shots. He is not a rough beast that destroys opponents. Not at all. But he is not weak along the boards. He just don´t hit. But what he does, is to stay close to either poke check, or to tangle the opponent up and strip him of the puck. Or to keep opponent locked up so that a team mate can take the puck. And he does these things without taking penalties. Just 2 minutes in 61 games last year. What´s the value of that ? An extremely underrated value anyway.

I can agree in that he could be stronger or tougher in front of the crease, but he compensates by just being steady, aware and mostly in right position.

He has a good pass. His shot is not a goal scorers shot, but he mostly has a meaning with it. That might be to aim for a tip in or a rebound.

A problem is that he seems to become more injury prone from year to year.
Of course there are younger guys moving up from depht, but don´t forget the huge difference between being a veteran d-man and being a promising young gun.

So go for it Gunnar, and I hope we can at least give him time to recover and show who he can be this season. At his best he is our #4 d-man without no doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad