Blues defense

justde

Apr 12, 2015
Nice to see Gunnar in good form again. Played very solid against Canucks. :)

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Well, every writer and scout covering the NHL missed on Parayko. Probably why they are all overly defensive. They claim to be experts, but they totally missed on their prospect predictions, lol. Blues got a steal in the third round when they drafted this kid and he has developed much faster than anyone ever predicted. A lot of people missed on Tarasenko, mostly because they thought he wouldn't come to the NHL to play. Blues have made some good steals in the draft the last couple of years.

I don't think Parayko is a guy you can watch once or twice and have a good read on to their defense. After a while, you just keep seeing this big #55 here there and everywhere. There isn't anything flashy about his game other than his shot or if he does lay somebody out.

Girth Butcher

Mar 15, 2014
St. Louis
I like the depth and potential the Blues have for the next few years. I would love to see them move Gunnar (good player, but we're overpaying) and have acceptable option with Lindbohm. I think Army has the defense set for the rest of the decade. If they don't want to pay Shatty, Schmaltz will step in, and when Jbo loses his speed Dunn will be his replacement. Lots of teams are clamoring for D-Men, so the Blues could get a nice return if the wanted to make a move. I like what we have for the next 5-6 years. Brad Shaw deserves some credit too!

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
Our defense and prospect pool on the right side is completely stacked. The question will be who do we trade and when, not if. Do we keep Shatty for a high price and trade away a young prospect, or do we trust in our young prospects to develop and trade established player(s) for high end forwards? We will see.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't think Parayko is a guy you can watch once or twice and have a good read on to their defense. After a while, you just keep seeing this big #55 here there and everywhere. There isn't anything flashy about his game other than his shot or if he does lay somebody out.
I kinda disagree. Parayko is fairly noticable with his rushing ability

The only thing I havnt paid attention to is his passing ability

Jzk

Mar 12, 2009
Nice to see Gunnar in good form again. Played very solid against Canucks. :)

Do people really think Gunnarsson has been good? Out side of his one good poke check at center ice he was awful against the Canucks. He's been handling the puck like a grenade causing turnoves.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Do people really think Gunnarsson has been good? Out side of his one good poke check at center ice he was awful against the Canucks. He's been handling the puck like a grenade causing turnoves.

I would say: He wasn't as bad as the prior game. There was a glimmer of hope that he may be able to play back into form.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL

Gunnar was looking like a #3/#4 Dman in the last game. He was moving his feet again, and he was all over the ice making good plays. I was thoroughly impressed - possibly his most notable game as a blues, partly because he normally isn't that flashy,

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Gunnarsson seems to have become the new whipping boy, but there's no way he's overpaid. He's a legitimate second pairing defenseman with a cap him of 2.9 million.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Gunnarsson seems to have become the new whipping boy, but there's no way he's overpaid. He's a legitimate second pairing defenseman with a cap him of 2.9 million.
Agreed. Is he replaceable? Yes. Is he a competent #4 on a good contract? Yes. He is nothing special, but not a bad player either. My only questions are around his durability and level of fit given our need for more physicality in our top 4.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Gunnarsson played pretty well today. He's getting better every game. The Blues had better keep him all season, regardless of how well the kids play.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad