Blues defender Robert Bortuzzo to have hearing for elbowing Micheal Kempny (upd: suspended)

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
As a Blues fan I didn't like the hit. I didn't think was the worst elbow I've ever seen though. I could see him being suspended for the rest of the preseason. Maybe 1 RS game on top.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Wonder if it's just for the elbow to Kempny's face, or if Bortuzzo boarding Gersich just minutes later will also be considered.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Looks pretty blatant to me...

I wish pre-season incidents like this would automatically result in regular season suspensions... there’s no need for him to do that there, it’s a meaningless game, so why “punish” him with more games that don’t matter? Losing Kempny isn’t nothing for the Caps

Bortuzzo was running around much of last night... that video itself looks pretty intentional, but within the greater context I can see why this is at least a hearing.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Wasn't particularly violent, but caught Kempny in a bad spot and was obviously a very unfortunate result. Bortuzzo was acting like an idiot last night, he deserves whatever punishment he gets for this hit.

Glad Kempny was able to get up and skate off under his own power, hope he has no lingering effects from the hit.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Bad hit. Elbow definitely looked high. 3 games, maybe 4.
For a guy with little or no DPS history? Nah, I would say 1 RS game or the last 2 PS games max. Maybe even just a fine.

Don't get me wrong, it was pretty dumb on Bortuzzo's part and I didn't like the hit at all, but it's going to be hard to defend the position for a lengthy suspension when he doesn't even leaves his skates. He just took an unnecessary liberty against a guy who was puck watching. He would have taken exception to someone hitting one of his teammates like that, and rightly so, so he has no one to blame but himself.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
For a guy with little or no DPS history? Nah, I would say 1 RS game or the last 2 PS games max. Maybe even just a fine.

Don't get me wrong, it was pretty dumb on Bortuzzo's part and I didn't like the hit at all, but it's going to be hard to defend the position for a lengthy suspension when he doesn't even leaves his skates. He just took an unnecessary liberty against a guy who was puck watching. He would have taken exception to someone hitting one of his teammates like that, and rightly so, so he has no one to blame but himself.

Only other suspension I know of was 2 games for a hit on Jagr. But with Kempny being out with a Concussion. I can see it go up to 3-4.

Reactions: Drakon

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Wasn't particularly violent, but caught Kempny in a bad spot and was obviously a very unfortunate result. Bortuzzo was acting like an idiot last night, he deserves whatever punishment he gets for this hit.

Glad Kempny was able to get up and skate off under his own power, hope he has no lingering effects from the hit.
He has a concussion

Reactions: Drakon

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
He has a concussion
Sorry to hear that but not entirely surprising given his reaction immediately following the hit. Hope Kempny is back to 100% in time for the regular season.

Like I said, Bortuzzo deserves whatever punishment he gets for that hit.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Lol, this thread is just Blues fans coming in here to try and look classy, no other fans seem to care at all.

Reactions: shtorm2005

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
I think this game was pretty much the result of the Blues remembering last year's pre-season with Wilson injuring a couple of our players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad