Speculation: Blues d-core @ 2016-17 season

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Given our struggles to score 5v5, removing Shattenkirk from the equation could be a mistake as well.

It could be, but the reality is that there is a salary cap. Backes and Brouwer are also potentially going to walk. Its just a reallocation of resources. But I have a lot more confidence in Parayko filling in and growing in Shattenkirk's minutes than I do that the Blues are going to internally fill those forward positions without acquiring a new player or two (meaning Jaskin, Rattie or Barbashev are going to be ready for top 6 time next year).

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Given our struggles to score 5v5, removing Shattenkirk from the equation could be a mistake as well.

He has only 15 even strength points so far this season and 19 last season. So that impact can be minimized based on who we would be getting back on a trade.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
If Shatty does get moved I'd be very interested in flipping Gunnarsson with Bouwmeester.

Gunnarsson-Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester-Parayko
Edmundson-Bortuzzo/Schmaltz

If only Gunnarson were more physical/nasty, this would be perfect.

Way too soft of a pairing (even if Petro would play better, which he does away from Jbo).

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Shattenkirk Bouwmeester
Parayko Edmundson
Bortuzzo Gunnarson

Petro dealt for a top offensive talent or maybe dealt to Edmonton for a top 3 pick in the upcoming draft, which would be even better, you free up cap space and maybe you find another top 4 defenseman with a nastier upside and you slide him into the top 4 rotation and put Edmundson in the bottom 2 rotation.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Shattenkirk Bouwmeester
Parayko Edmundson
Bortuzzo Gunnarson

Petro dealt for a top offensive talent or maybe dealt to Edmonton for a top 3 pick in the upcoming draft, which would be even better, you free up cap space and maybe you find another top 4 defenseman with a nastier upside and you slide him into the top 4 rotation and put Edmundson in the bottom 2 rotation.

Well I certainly hope this isn't how it goes down

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I don't get the idea of moving Bouwmeester. That creates even more imbalance of right to left D-men.

Too many are in love with the idea of moving Parayko to his off side. I view Parayko as a precious commodity, and the Blues should do everything they can to maximize his development. That includes allowing him to grow in the league at his natural position (on the right). Sure, he hasn't looked horribly less effective on the left, but its only relative to the large drop-off we see when either Shattenkirk or Pietro are move there. But its not optimal for Colton and I feel its a mistake for that to be Plan A for him at this stage in his career.

Bouwmeester has been much better this year than last, no doubt. I suppose we can attribute the poor play last year to injury.

But when the puck is on Bouwmeester's stick in the offensive zone, I expect nothing good to happen. How did this guy ever score 15 goals in a season in the NHL, as he did twice in the 2007-2009 years?

The man is kind of a mystery to me. He isn't a big hitter, he doesn't fight, he doesn't excel in positional battles in front of the goal, and he has no offense to his game. He doesn't rack up assists from moving the puck out of the defensive zone. He must be VERY good at other aspects of defense to be able to stay in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad