Speculation: Blues d-core @ 2016-17 season

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What you think would be our d-core and pairs coming next season when we assume Shattery won't get traded.

Code:
Jbo - Pietro
Gunnar - Shattery
Edmundson - Parayko

Jbo - Pietro
Parayko - Shattery
Gunnar - Bortuzzo

Parayko - Pietro
Jbo - Shattery
Gunnar - Edmundson

Jbo - Pietro
Parayko - Shattary
Edmundson - Bortuzzo

Parayko - Pietro
Edmundson - Shattery
Gunnar - Bortuzzo

Shattery - Pietro
Jbo - Parayko
Gunnar - Bortuzzo

Shattery - Pietro
Jbo - Parayko
Edmundson - Bortuzzo

Gunnar - Pietro
Jbo - Shattery
Edmundson - Parayko

Edmundson - Pietro
Jbo - Shattery
Gunnar - Parayko

your choice

Last edited:

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Shattenkirk Resigned or not traded

Boumeester-Pietrangelo
Edmundson-Shattenkirk
Gunnerson-Parayko

Shattenkirk Traded

Boumeester-Pietrangelo
Gunnerson-Parayko
Edmundson-Bortuzzo/RHD FA

If Lindbohm can do what Parayko and Ed did last preseason he could jump ahead of Ed.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
JBow - Petro
Gunnar - Parayko
Edmundson - Bort/Schmaltz/FA

As much as I want to keep Shatty I would be pretty surprised if he wasn't traded

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
What's with "Pietro" and "Shattery?" I guess I can understand spelling Petro like that but "Shattery?"

Petro-Bouwmeester
Parayko-Gunnerson
Edmundson-Bortuzzo/rookie

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'd expect him to be traded.

If he's not:

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Gunnarsson-Shattenkirk
Edmundson-Parayko

If he is traded:

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Gunnarsson-Parayko
Edmundson-Bortozzo/UFA/trade/Schmaltz

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I should read before I make my choice and write my answer lol...

Post under construction.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Shattenkirk Resigned or not traded

Boumeester-Pietrangelo
Edmundson-Shattenkirk
Gunnerson-Parayko

Shattenkirk Traded

Boumeester-Pietrangelo
Gunnerson-Parayko
Edmundson-Bortuzzo/RHD FA

If Lindbohm can do what Parayko and Ed did last preseason he could jump ahead of Ed.

I'd hate to see Parayko on the 3rd pairing.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
If he's not traded, it's a misuse of assets but for the threads sake....

I'd run out....

Gunnarsson-Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester-Parayko
Edmundson-Shattenkirk
Bortuzzo

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What's with "Pietro" and "Shattery?" I guess I can understand spelling Petro like that but "Shattery?"

Sorry, Idk, I'm writing him down like how I'm spell him in Finnish. 'Shatteri' = 'Shattery'
Same goes with 'Pietro'.

If he's not:

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Gunnarsson-Shattenkirk
Edmundson-Parayko

Why you are saying Shattery is getting traded? You know something inside things or just assume like I assume he won't get traded?

Isn't Parayko at 3rd pair bit odd how he has performed and except him to develope coming to next season?

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Why you are saying Shattery is getting traded? You know something inside things or just assume like I assume he won't get traded?

Isn't Parayko at 3rd pair bit odd how he has performed and except him to develope coming to next season?

Your second statement explains the first.

Parayko's development is why Shattenkirk is likely to be traded. Add in he's a pending UFA and a valuable asset and it just makes sense.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

If he is traded:

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Gunnarsson-Parayko
Edmundson-Bortozzo/UFA/trade/Schmaltz
This is what I'll predict too. I like the guy but I think it's time to balance out this roster.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Honestly not sure why this is even a poll. It looks kind of transparent that Armstrong will try to move Shattenkirk, and the roster is already pretty much set after that with Parayko moving up. Its just not clear who the 7th man will be, or whether there is an outside chance that a youngster will force his way onto the line-up (or Lindbohm resurge).

I don't think there is that much to talk about here unless we start to approach training camp with Shattenkirk.

I guess the only caveat is, suppose the Blues DO win the Cup. You could argue that they should keep things the same as much as possible. Do you try to keep Shattenkirk then at the risk of him walking after? (In other words, do you try for a 2nd Cup at the expense of shortening the competitive window? I wouldn't.)

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Honestly not sure why this is even a poll. It looks kind of transparent that Armstrong will try to move Shattenkirk, and the roster is already pretty much set after that with Parayko moving up. Its just not clear who the 7th man will be, or whether there is an outside chance that a youngster will force his way onto the line-up (or Lindbohm resurge).

I don't think there is that much to talk about here unless we start to approach training camp with Shattenkirk.

I guess the only caveat is, suppose the Blues DO win the Cup. You could argue that they should keep things the same as much as possible. Do you try to keep Shattenkirk then at the risk of him walking after? (In other words, do you try for a 2nd Cup at the expense of shortening the competitive window? I wouldn't.)

I think if we do win the cup, as unlikely as it is, they will then try and re up Backes for sure, leaving no money for a Shatty extension

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
petro-jaybo
shatty(if not traded)-parayko
gunner-edmundson-bortuzzo/lindbohm
sadly I'm still not convinced shattenkirk is being kept.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Hopefully Dunn or Walman becomes a Karlsson/Gostisbehere-type player. That would take a lot of the sting out of dealing Shatty. Then, hopefull,y whoever the Blues receive for Shatty becomes a difference-maker up-front. We all know that's too perfect of a situation for it to happen to the Blues though.

Instead, they'll trade Shattenkirk for a propect that becomes nothing and a pick that gets traded (for a rental, no less), and Shattenkirk will go on to become the next Brian Leetch for the Rangers.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The emergence of Parayko and Edmundson have complicated things, but in a good way.

We now have three defensemen with no-trade clauses in their contracts, and three more years of service with the Blues. Two of those three (Gunnarsson and Bouwmeester) don't provide much in the way of offense. In former days, you wouldn't care about a d-man not scoring, but today, you need to get some offense from the guys who get top ice time.

We remain without top prospects at forward, and I'm guessing Shattenkirk gets moved to help us in that respect. I'd much rather see Bouwmeester get moved, but I doubt that he is marketable. If Shattenkirk is traded, the Blues might promote Schmaltz to be the power play "quarterback." I haven't seem much of Schmaltz and I'm not sure he is ready, but his recent call up suggests to me that the Blues really like him.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
The emergence of Parayko and Edmundson have complicated things, but in a good way.

We now have three defensemen with no-trade clauses in their contracts, and three more years of service with the Blues. Two of those three (Gunnarsson and Bouwmeester) don't provide much in the way of offense. In former days, you wouldn't care about a d-man not scoring, but today, you need to get some offense from the guys who get top ice time.

We remain without top prospects at forward, and I'm guessing Shattenkirk gets moved to help us in that respect. I'd much rather see Bouwmeester get moved, but I doubt that he is marketable. If Shattenkirk is traded, the Blues might promote Schmaltz to be the power play "quarterback." I haven't seem much of Schmaltz and I'm not sure he is ready, but his recent call up suggests to me that the Blues really like him.
Schmaltz isn't ready to QB. Honestly, he may never be a QB. Don't get me wrong, he has offensive upside. But, he isn't dynamic or a catalyst type player. He is simply sound offensively. He could grow into a QB, but I see slightly more signs pointing to the contrary.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

I don't get the idea of moving Bouwmeester. That creates even more imbalance of right to left D-men.

Too many are in love with the idea of moving Parayko to his off side. I view Parayko as a precious commodity, and the Blues should do everything they can to maximize his development. That includes allowing him to grow in the league at his natural position (on the right). Sure, he hasn't looked horribly less effective on the left, but its only relative to the large drop-off we see when either Shattenkirk or Pietro are move there. But its not optimal for Colton and I feel its a mistake for that to be Plan A for him at this stage in his career.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I don't get the idea of moving Bouwmeester. That creates even more imbalance of right to left D-men.

Too many are in love with the idea of moving Parayko to his off side. I view Parayko as a precious commodity, and the Blues should do everything they can to maximize his development. That includes allowing him to grow in the league at his natural position (on the right). Sure, he hasn't looked horribly less effective on the left, but its only relative to the large drop-off we see when either Shattenkirk or Pietro are move there. But its not optimal for Colton and I feel its a mistake for that to be Plan A for him at this stage in his career.

Given our struggles to score 5v5, removing Shattenkirk from the equation could be a mistake as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad