Rumor: Blues could be looking at moving Edmundson

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Edmundson is coming off a bad year. Trading him now when his value is low is a bad idea. Armstrong isn't that stupid. As others have stated, we have two injury prone 30 yr olds on LD, and no internal replacements imminent. I would be very surprised if he was traded.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Pure speculation, and I don’t think JR realizes that sending down the 2 guys currently occupying Edmundson and Barbashevs spots in the line up will save an additional ~1.5 mill in cap space. Pretty dumb tweet tbh.

Blues would be foolish to trade Edmundson IMO.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

This is complete nonsense. JR seems to forget that the 4.35 million cap left will increase as soon as we send Pouliot and Schmaltz down. When that happens we have 5.77 million left which seems more then enough to sign both Barbashev and Edmundson AND possibly have a small cussion left.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
The blues are looking to move Edmonton out of the NHL as the Cup Champions???? Well, it's about time!! LOL just kidding.

They would be dumb to Edmunson. He won't fetch market value given their cap situation.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
This is complete nonsense. JR seems to forget that the 4.35 million cap left will increase as soon as we send Pouliot and Schmaltz down. When that happens we have 5.77 million left which seems more then enough to sign both Barbashev and Edmundson AND possibly have a small cussion left.
I don't think he forgot that at all. If you read carefully he says that Armstrong wants 1.5-2.5. Moving those 2 players to the AHL and signing Edmundson and Barbashev won't leave the Blues with $2m in space.

I mean, it's possible he's wrong about the Blues wanting that much, but it's not nonsense at all.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I don't think he forgot that at all. If you read carefully he says that Armstrong wants 1.5-2.5. Moving those 2 players to the AHL and signing Edmundson and Barbashev won't leave the Blues with $2m in space.

I mean, it's possible he's wrong about the Blues wanting that much, but it's not nonsense at all.
This is the quote from the Athletic article discussing the Binnington extension.
"And Binnington’s deal appears to have allowed the Blues enough cap space ($7.1 million) to sign their four remaining restricted free agents, including Oskar Sundqvist, Joel Edmundson and Ivan Barbashev."

Armstrong quote:
“We think it’s extremely manageable, and our goal is to enter into the regular season, if possible, with a cushion of somewhere between $2 million and under. I think we certainly have the ability to do that without much issue.”

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
This is the quote from the Athletic article discussing the Binnington extension.
"And Binnington’s deal appears to have allowed the Blues enough cap space ($7.1 million) to sign their four remaining restricted free agents, including Oskar Sundqvist, Joel Edmundson and Ivan Barbashev."

Armstrong quote:
“We think it’s extremely manageable, and our goal is to enter into the regular season, if possible, with a cushion of somewhere between $2 million and under. I think we certainly have the ability to do that without much issue.”

If it's close to $2m they want, it's going to be tough. If it's closer to $1m they can probably manage it. But if you don't think that they are considering dealing JE and that the cap is one factor in that, then I don't know what to tell you.

That 7.1 is now 5.7 (that's with the 2 extra D going down). Give Edmundson 3.5, give Barbashev 1m.

That leaves 1.2m. Which is exactly what I said: If Armstrong wants $2m or even > 1.5m something has to give.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Really lazy tweeting by the Athletic reports for the Blues.

It wouldnt surprise me if Edmundson got dealt but it's not because we don't have the cap to resign him and Barbashev, even after factoring in Armstrong's recent quote.

That’s the only reason to deal Edmundson. Why else if not the cap?

We’re not exactly flush with LHD under the age of 30.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad