Rumor: Blues could be looking at moving Edmundson

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I like him and all but if we have to have a casualty or two after a cup win then I am more than happy with it being Edmundson.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
It looks to me like the Blues have $5.77 million in cap space. Schmaltz and Pouliot(each at $700k) are currently being counted against the cap. They would need to be sent down to accommodate the Barbashev and Edmundson signings(23 player roster limit).

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
A few years back, Edmundson was damn good in the playoffs and started to look like he was a lock for the top 4, but he has had a rough couple of years and seems to have stagnated. Still a solid player, but my guess is that unless his arbitration award is bonkers, he won't be worth as much in a trade as simply hanging onto him.

Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson are getting on in years and both have serious injury issues. The Blues will be fine if they deal Eddy and then both Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson get knocked out of the lineup, but 1. not when the playoffs come around, and 2. the Central will be a bloodbath. I'm not sure Armstrong wants to put himself in a situation in which it's not far-fetched that he'll have to pony up for at least a #4 d-man at the deadline. That's just not the type of asset management we've seen from him so far.

Altogether, trading Edmundson isn't unreasonable and wouldn't shock me, but unless Rutherford is reporting something he knows for sure, I'll believe it when I see it. That dude's speculation and hockey opinions are shoddy.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I’d love Edmundson in Pitt. Pitt can’t take cap though so maybe a 3 way trade?
First of all, he’s an RFA, so we wouldn’t really be taking in cap at the moment.

We could bring him in now, then move Rust for assets to move Johnson so we can sign him, Pettersson, and - if desired - ZAR.

Edmundson for Addison or POJ + 2nd and/or 3rd
Unretained Rust for 2nd + 2nd/3rd
Unretained Johnson + 2nd + 2nd/3rd for 4th

blues hillbilly

Nov 28, 2018
Dr Jeckyll/Mr Hyde. Like Forrest's box of chocolates, never know what you will get.

If it's his play prior to last season, Id take it all day every day.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
First of all, he’s an RFA, so we wouldn’t really be taking in cap at the moment.

We could bring him in now, then move Rust for assets to move Johnson so we can sign him, Pettersson, and - if desired - ZAR.

Edmundson for Addison or POJ + 2nd and/or 3rd

I think that's an overpayment.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I think that's an overpayment.
While I do agree, I’m pretty high on Edmundson. Considering that STL would be allegedly actively looking to move him, the 2nd + 2nd would probably be enough. But I’d be willing to do my original offer if a bidding war started, with the expectation of giving him a reasonably low money, long-term contract once he was acquired. Dumoulin, Pettersson, Edmundson would be an awesome LHD group to run with for the next decade. All capable puck movers who defend very well and can cover for a potential right side of Letang, Schultz, and Addison.

Would be really cool to have a deep, well-balanced defense in Pittsburgh. Seems like we’ve been aiming for “just be decent” with our D-corps forever.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Really lazy tweeting by the Athletic reports for the Blues.

It wouldnt surprise me if Edmundson got dealt but it's not because we don't have the cap to resign him and Barbashev, even after factoring in Armstrong's recent quote.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
If this is true, what would St Louis want from Tampa? Would Armstrong want to make a hockey trade or just cap relief?

Aug 10, 2015
Someone correct me on the arbitration rules if I am wrong here, but if they were to trade him, wouldn't it have to be before August 4th? (The date of his arbitration hearing)

My understanding of arbitration is that you cannot trade the player for a year after their arbitration award?

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I still don't buy it.

The Blues would be counting on a 36 year old Jay Bouwmeester and a 32 year old Carl Gunnarsson, both of whom had relatively major injuries in the past 18 months as 2/3rds of their regular left side defense with very little experience behind them.

Reactions: stl76 and 67Blues

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
So does Army want the cushion under the cap to possibly buy a low cost free agent or does he want the room for later in the season? I’m guessing the latter.

CoverYour5

Sep 25, 2018
I'm viewing this tweet as one of two things:

JR's pure opinion, which makes sense seeing as he completely forgot about/disregards the cap savings for sending the extras down

OR

I think this is a negotiating ploy by Army. It's likely Edmundson wants to stay in STL, and Army is trying to get him a little bit cheaper. Especially when paired with the "we project to have around 2 million in cap space after signing everyone (paraphrasing)" comment

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
he had a horrible year, hoping he can bounce back.

hes a tough dfd but is best when he isnt going out of his way to make hits or get into the dirty stuff. i think maybe berube was trying to make him more of a physical force when hes best when just playing a shutdown role and clearing the front of the net/getting rough in the corners.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
We can easily afford him and Barbashev.

But with that said, I wouldn’t care if we traded Edmundson because he’s a mediocre player.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I still don't buy it.

The Blues would be counting on a 36 year old Jay Bouwmeester and a 32 year old Carl Gunnarsson, both of whom had relatively major injuries in the past 18 months as 2/3rds of their regular left side defense with very little experience behind them.
That's the [lack of] depth that is the St. Louis Blues prospect pipeline for defense in a nutshell.

It looks to me like the Blues have $5.77 million in cap space. Schmaltz and Pouliot(each at $700k) are currently being counted against the cap. They would need to be sent down to accommodate the Barbashev and Edmundson signings(23 player roster limit).
If Schmaltz is on the NHL roster to start, we've got a problem. He's had a couple prime shots to make the roster and keep a spot, and each time he's been unable to show he's NHL-ready. At this point, I don't know how you put stock in him finally getting it.

Pouliot elicits only slightly less concern, but it's still not comforting.

Someone correct me on the arbitration rules if I am wrong here, but if they were to trade him, wouldn't it have to be before August 4th? (The date of his arbitration hearing)

My understanding of arbitration is that you cannot trade the player for a year after their arbitration award?
They could trade him at any point - before his arbitration hearing, or after it's done and an award is handed down. The 1-year waiting period you're referring to applies to matched offer sheets.

Reactions: McHaNugYakEbNurDra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->