GDT: Blues Contenders @ Blackhawk Pretenders, UC, 2 Dec 2019, 7:30 PM CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I think Bowman is a lame duck for sure.

Think of the success of this team over the last 10 years. Think of the 'cornerstones'. Think of the massive contracts given and the expectation of the returns of those contracts.

Think about the impact of the Hawks on Chicago. There were Hawks stores in Oakbrook Mall and the Aurora Outlet Mall. Interest is waning. Tickets are cheaper. Anyone with kids that play youth hockey knows that mite and squirt numbers are way down (consistent with the Hawks not being as popular). All of that matters.

Losing impacts the marketability and value of the team.

The Hawks were first round exits including a sweep they were absolutely dominated in.

As it looks, they will NOT be making the playoffs.

3 straight seasons with the 'cornerstone franchise guys' in Toews and Kane and the stalwarts like Keith, Crow and Seabrook - and no playoff appearances in 3 years?

That will ABSOLUTELY get any GM - regardless if his last name is Bowman - ousted.

The Hawks won't make the playoffs. JC won't survive the full season. Bowman will be gone at end of the season.

Take that to the bank.

There is nothing for sure about it.

I do think JC doesn't make it through the year.

Are local youth hockey numbers down? Interesting but that has minimal impact on the team.

Ticket prices do but with any team (outside of the NY teams) you will have ups and downs in costs.

Bowman is not making last ditch efforts to save his job like a typical lame duck GM would. He is continuing to build for the future.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I hope Bowman and Kelley get the go ahead to keep rebuilding. My fear is they fire Stan and the next GM feels the urge to swing some big deals to try and win at all cost in the final years of 19/88/2 and it fails miserably
there is always that possibility ...... i will miss if SB goes his scouting skills. or is it the skill of his departmental personnel?

what ever happen i really hope Kelley and company stays.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
His teams have been relevant for years. He built that entire team from scratch and without many top picks. If he's overrated then the league is full of bad gms.
Not full but there are quite a few bad ones.

I’m not saying that I think Poille is a bad GM or anything but I don’t think he’s the elite GM some people paint him out to be. Hes got his hits and his misses just like the GM he’d be replacing here. Poille has actually been having a pretty poor run of trades himself lately though.

Reactions: Hawksfly2gether

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
there is always that possibility ...... i will miss if SB goes his scouting skills. or is it the skill of his departmental personnel?

what ever happen i really hope Kelley and company stays.

I think Stan is for the most part a smart GM. He rarely whiffs on first round picks, he stays out of the UFA market shit show every summer, he stopped trading 1st round picks after 2016. Yeah the team has struggled but it was inevitable...Lack of top picks, aging core on long term deals dating back to the cup window being wide open, significant regression in Toews, etc. I think if you let him set aside the one goal shit and rebuild with Mark Kelley and this team will be where it needs to be in 2-3 years max (I think we're in year 2 atm). Get Seabrook off the books via buyout. Extend Lehner and let Crawford walk or take a Cam Ward type deal for 1-2 years. Add Boqvist, Mitchell and a top 5 pick next year. I just have a hard time believing the ship will not turn around fast. Every move he's made in the last year have made sense...You can debate the Jokiharju trade but it was Joker or Mitchell imo, they chose Mitchell.

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think Stan is for the most part a smart GM. He rarely whiffs on first round picks, he stays out of the UFA market **** show every summer, he stopped trading 1st round picks after 2016. Yeah the team has struggled but it was inevitable...Lack of top picks, aging core on long term deals dating back to the cup window being wide open, significant regression in Toews, etc. I think if you let him set aside the one goal **** and rebuild with Mark Kelley this team is where it needs to be in 2-3 max years (I think we're in year 2 atm). Get Seabrook off the books via buyout. Extend Lehner and let Crawford walk or take a Cam Ward type deal for 1-2 years. Add Boqvist, Mitchell and a top 5 pick next year. I just have a hard time believing the ship doesnt turn around fast. Every move he's made in the last year have made sense...You can debate the Jokiharju trade but it was Joker or Mitchell imo, they chose Mitchell.
excellent... excellent... excellent pov. good job.

but for me i do blame him for many things but 1 major thing, his inability to see the downside of this club and the core. a real good gm would have anticipated it and had depth for it.

there is an accountability factor in play with this causality. the position/internal condition of this team is his fault. he is the conductor .... he cause all this mess...... now someone needs to be help fix this team that is why a new conductor is needed.

you do make a valid point at the end, but i am talking about the beginning, he should have been doing this fix from the beginning.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
You said he wasn't a lame duck. I said firing his guy after barely a year would move him in that direction.

I directly said it would put him on the hot seat but mentioned that he would be showing the smarts to at least know when to move on. Hot seat? Yes. Lame Duck? No.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Just viewed Kaner getting injured in practice .... looked innocent enough but Kaner was in obvious discomfort when he left the ice ... looked like a possible elbow to his head. Fingers crossed.

Looked like he just took one in the yap to me. Didn't look too serious at all.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yep. Inheritance makes the job a relative piece of cake. Reality has now firmly set in ... and it ain't very pretty.

Inheritance. LOL.

Here we go with the whole Tallon/Smith nonsense again.

You might have a point for cup #1. Cup #2 and #3....Bowman provided all the depth, and some major pieces, in making those happen... You might also want to check out what position Bowman held prior to taking over for Tallon... Directory of Hockey Operations and Assistant GM probably work a lot with the GM on building the team. Just saying.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Inheritance. LOL.

Here we go with the whole Tallon/Smith nonsense again.

You might have a point for cup #1. Cup #2 and #3....Bowman provided all the depth, and some major pieces, in making those happen... You might also want to check out what position Bowman held prior to taking over for Tallon... Directory of Hockey Operations and Assistant GM probably work a lot with the GM on building the team. Just saying.

So how long does this love affair last I wonder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad