GDT: Blues @ Buffalo - 6pm| BSMW + |

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Sign Thomas long term NOW!!!
Earlier in the season, he made a funny.

During the intermission of a game, the broadcast showed a cool piece where someone (I forgot who...Andy?) asked several players if they could have only one food, what would it be.

RT's reply was "booze".

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
20220414_215106.jpg

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Not that they’re playing bad, but I’d like too Schenn and ROR get hot for the playoffs.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
good game last night. things are looking up for Buffalo. some really good young, and fast, talent. really got behind our D WAY too much.

Binny looked good, again, which is REALLY nice to see

Thomas-Buch-Vladi... 'nuff said

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Any word on Parayko? I don't think he came back. Maybe just letting him rest up.
I haven't seen an official word, but I agree with the announcers that he got cut by his visor. I didn't see anything that could have caused an eye/orbital injury, so he probably just needed stitches. We were up 3 goals with less than 15 minutes left. No need to rush a stitch job to get him back in time for the last 5 minutes of that game.

It is possible that such a play could cause a concussion, but until we hear a concerning update I'm assuming that he will be good to go tomorrow.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
My overall thoughts on last night:

I love love love Binner's new pads with our away jerseys. I noticed them at the game on Friday, but boy do blue pads pop against our white jerseys. I disliked the graphic on the CCM pads he used to wear and I'm not a big fan of the True pad graphics when white is the primary color. They are a bit bland to me. But man do they look good when a dark color is the primary color. Switching up the pads can help a goalie clean the slate mentally. Maybe that's why he switched them up or maybe he just got bored with the old pads. Either way, I love the new look and he was very good last night. We had some very sloppy stretches defensively and got pretty noticeably outshot/chanced. Buffalo had 3.72 expected goals and 18 high danger chances. Binner was a bigger part of that win than you'd expect from a 6-2 final score. Husso is my game 1 playoff starter barring an abrupt and major collapse in his play. But having some confidence to rest him an extra game or two down the stretch is very nice.

Buch/Thomas/Tarasenko combined for 4 goals and 13 points. All 4 goals were at even strength. In the last 3 games they have combined for 8 goals with all of them coming at even strength (including 1 empty netter and 1 OT goal). Goodness. This line is playing like a top 10 line league-wide. Berube is using them as out top offensive unit and they are dominating. They are 54% or better in every underlying metric and have outscored opponents 26-13 at 5 on 5. If they can play at this level in the playoffs, you force teams to play the matchup game against them when we are on the road, which should help us get ROR/Saad/Perron out there against the players we want them to shut down. And if the other team wants to go offense vs offense, You can do a hell of a lot worse than Buch and Thomas to defend while trading chances.

Defense was sloppy. Not sure if it was a lack of focus or because we were trying hard to push offense. Can't do that against top 10 teams, but these nights happen in the midst of winning streaks in the regular season. No real concerns for me.

Most importantly: 2 points in a night where we rested Husso, kept every D under 23 minutes (even with Parayko not on the bench for the final 13+ minutes), and kept every forward under 19 minutes. Fantastic.

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
My overall thoughts on last night:

I love love love Binner's new pads with our away jerseys. I noticed them at the game on Friday, but boy do blue pads pop against our white jerseys. I disliked the graphic on the CCM pads he used to wear and I'm not a big fan of the True pad graphics when white is the primary color. They are a bit bland to me. But man do they look good when a dark color is the primary color. Switching up the pads can help a goalie clean the slate mentally. Maybe that's why he switched them up or maybe he just got bored with the old pads. Either way, I love the new look and he was very good last night. We had some very sloppy stretches defensively and got pretty noticeably outshot/chanced. Buffalo had 3.72 expected goals and 18 high danger chances. Binner was a bigger part of that win than you'd expect from a 6-2 final score. Husso is my game 1 playoff starter barring an abrupt and major collapse in his play. But having some confidence to rest him an extra game or two down the stretch is very nice.
Not sure if they're the same exact ones, but Binnington has had dark blue pads for a while now. Don't see them too often, but he has used them before.

edit: Jim Thomas calls them the "Darth Vader" pads. Looks like he first busted them out in 2019.

But I agree with your larger point; the change might be good to reset his confidence. Will be interesting to see if he keeps using them.

Reactions: Brian39

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Great game; hopefully Kyrou can get his mojo back gearing up for the Wild....
At first I thought he looked a little disengaged last night, but the more I watched him the more I realized that he just seems to have very little energy. Maybe he's still not 100% from the illness or maybe it is his first full NHL season catching up with him (could be a combo of both?) but I'm not sure he shouldn't be a healthy scratch in one of the back-to-back games this weekend to help him get where he needs to be by the playoffs.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad