Blues/Avalanche playoff series discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Parayko had rough night, but looked to me like mental exhaustion. Playing too many minutes with injuries we have had. He should never have been on pp. he had great 2nd half of season. Not worried about him.
Agreed. Getting him a better, full-time partner should be a top priority this offseason as it will both add a quality player and improve the quality of Parayko's minutes.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If Kyrou pots that empty net goal, I think this goes to 7. If Binnington stays healthy, I think the Blues make it to the SCF. I’m not so sure they could beat a healthy Tampa, though.

Last night, there were just so many times the Blues would turn away the attack and then give the puck right back. Colorado’s team defense was at a level this series that they haven’t had in a postseason before. I think they’ll make mincemeat of Edmonton, even if Kuemper is mediocre.

Kadri is a dirty player. But the Avs are a fun team to watch otherwise. It’s just their main board fan base is heavily populated by arrogant jerks. Makes it impossible to root for them. Our main board presence was cringey, too.

Steve Ott should get one of the open coaching jobs this offseason. If I were a GM I’d go that direction. A team like Detroit or Dallas.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Yo all you f***ers need to stop talking about Ott getting a coaching job elsewhere. What if he never even thought about it and he reads this shit and now he is thinking about it? Stop f***ing jinxing us!
No jinx. He’s also no secret as a candidate. I’ll be surprised if he’s back with the Blues next year.

Reactions: Blueston

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Steen backfills Ott.

Book it.

I expect Jim Montgomery to get a head coaching job soon. He's done his time rebuilding his reputation.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
This will really piss people off...... Ott is going to Vegas
Is that already confirmed?

I feel like Trotz is going to Vegas, if Ott moves on he's going to go to Dallas.

Steen backfills Ott.

Book it.

I expect Jim Montgomery to get a head coaching job soon. He's done his time rebuilding his reputation.
Steen and JBo. Maybe JBo can get the defense right lol.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
If Kyrou pots that empty net goal, I think this goes to 7. If Binnington stays healthy, I think the Blues make it to the SCF. I’m not so sure they could beat a healthy Tampa, though.

Last night, there were just so many times the Blues would turn away the attack and then give the puck right back. Colorado’s team defense was at a level this series that they haven’t had in a postseason before. I think they’ll make mincemeat of Edmonton, even if Kuemper is mediocre.

Kadri is a dirty player. But the Avs are a fun team to watch otherwise. It’s just their main board fan base is heavily populated by arrogant jerks. Makes it impossible to root for them. Our main board presence was cringey, too.

Steve Ott should get one of the open coaching jobs this offseason. If I were a GM I’d go that direction. A team like Detroit or Dallas.

We clearly outperform some of the basic analytic reviews of our team by having a capability to pass up the basic shot for better ones, and that skill/capability shows up in our PP ratings too.

However, in this particular series, Kuemper was shaky to me, and I think we could have done well to break character and throw more stuff on net. That’s easy for a fan to say but hard to do in practice. Just had a rough time seeing a lot of 5 shot (or so) periods, when I suspected their goalie would crack, but the Avs deserve some credit for that too.

Above all, I hope this team finds a way to add more to their blue line. I think it prevents them from being able to get to elite, and realistically and reliably control 5 on 5 play. Binnington was covering some of these cracks in the foundation, but I think even one more guy that can really transition the puck would help us balance things out more naturally. It isn’t that the blue line is bad exactly, but depth that lets players slot in a little cleaner would go a long way.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I don’t think we’ve talked enough about what a good job we did shutting down Makar. He had more points last night (4) than in the entire series (3) against the Blues.

The most frustrating thing about the series was the fact that we shut down Mack and Mak as much as humanly possible, but too many of our guys didn't show up. Their bottom 3 lines outplayed ours and that was the main difference in the series.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The most frustrating thing about the series was the fact that we shut down Mack and Mak as much as humanly possible, but too many of our guys didn't show up. Their bottom 3 lines outplayed ours and that was the main difference in the series.
Why is our narrative that when other teams guys don’t produce we shut them down and when ours don’t produce they didn’t show up?

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Why is our narrative that when other teams guys don’t produce we shut them down and when ours don’t produce they didn’t show up?

I wouldn't call it a narrative, but it's all about stepping up in big moments. Obviously our top defenders were zeroed in on MacKinnon and Makar and they did a great job. I don't think the Avs defense is that good that they should be able to shut down our 2nd and 3rd lines so effectively, but the fact of the matter is that Thomas, Tarasenko, Barbashev, Schenn and Saad didn't play up to their potential (and Kyrou only in spurts). At least Mack and Mak still looked dangerous even when they weren't putting up points.

Obviously if the Avs had lost then their stars would have had to answer for their relatively low point totals, but the rest of their team picked them up.

Reactions: Punished ROR

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I give more credit to the Colorado defense. They did a hell of a job with puck retrieval and transition. The Blues’ didn’t have enough sustained zone time to win a series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad