TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Regular season records:

• Refalanche: 56-19-7, 119 points
  • Blues: 49-22-11, 109 points
Leading scorers:

• Refalanche: Tim "The Heel" Peel, 4060 Power Plays
  • Blues: RW Vladimir Tarasenko, 82 points (34 G, 48 A)

Schedule:
FS2tkbdWIAE1vC7

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Copying from the main boards:

I feel like I'm missing a game but, here's a refresher on how the season series was:

Oct. 16 @ COL 5-3 Blues
Oct. 28 @ STL 4-3 Avs
April 26 @ COL 5-3 Avs

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
At this point whatever happens is destiny. The Avs are a juggernaut. The Blues will need to bring everything they've got to the fight. If we minimize our mistakes and play to our strengths we have a shot to upset the NHL and media favorites.

Allens Five Hole

Jan 17, 2017
I think I'll stick to our board this series. The main board thread is going to be a disaster once the games start.

Looking at this series, I think most of us will probably admit that the Avs have the clear advantage and should be favorites to win. If I had to choose with my head, I think I would pick Avs in 5 or 6.

I think there are a few different ways that the Blues can win this series, however.

1. One distinct advantage we have over the Avs team is our special teams. If we can convert on our PP chances, that will allow us to stay in games and/or extend leads. At the same time, they have a very good PP as well so our PK will need to be the difference maker.

2. Scoring depth. We have the better forward depth. Everyone has to bring it this series in order to win. I think we have the better center depth as well which we can turn into an advantage, specifically at home. I think we continue to go to the 11F/7D formula which can create matchup problems for their bottom six consistently whether we are on the road or home.

3. Binnington. This is probably the most important piece to an upset puzzle. He has been everywhere from bad to atrocious versus the Avalanche. In his career, he has faced the Avalanche the most of any team in the NHL. Outside of a few SSS vs Eastern Conf opponents, he also has the worst SV% and GAA vs the Avs. We really need him to play out of his mind this series. He will likely have to steal at least 1 game for us to win this series. I actually don't think he played as bad as his stats in last years 4 game sweep as we all know what kind of team we were icing by Game 2 of that series.

4. Get to the front of the net. Make Kuemper's life hell after a really strange accident in the NSH series. Put bodies all over the front and make him fight through it. Give him a snow shower at times. Just consistently put pressure on him.

There is a possibility we do everything right and still come up short because this Avalanche team is just that good but if that is the case, then they will have played their A game too. I'm cautiously optimistic heading into this series because we always play better when we have no pressure to win the series and, frankly, I have zero expectation that we are actually going to win the series. If we win, COL has done another choke job in round 2 and if we lose, it was expected. That is a good place to be in in my opinion because all of the pressure is squarely in the city of Denver.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I can never bring myself to hate Colorado because I think they’re so fun to watch. And when the Blues play them, the games are just so exciting. Regardless of result, I’m going to love watching this series just for the entertainment value.

• Love
Reactions: Foppberg

yurnxt

Apr 7, 2009
The Blues won't be favorites in this series but they can absolutely beat Colorado.

We seem to have the advantage on special teams, size, forward depth and experience the time of year when it counts. That is enough to potentially win a 7 game series against the Avalanche. The top end talent on the Avalanche is much better than our top end talent and the difference is wide enough to make the Avalanche the better team on paper even if we have more depth.

We will need continued special teams success, 2019 Binnington, ROR to be more effective at neutralizing Mac than the last go round, our defense to play well despite injuries and we will need to exploit their bottom six with our deeper group up front to win. Its doable but that is an absolute beast of a team over there!

IF we take down Colorado, we can take down anyone in the Cup Finals should we be lucky enough and good enough to get there. I feel winning this series would propel us to said Cup finals. Time will tell.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I agree that Binnington is a big key in the series, but I think there are a couple of other keys, too.

First, we need to be able to match Schenn-ROR-Perron against their top line as much as possible. If we can slow them down (we're not going to stop them completely) we have a chance for our forward depth to take over.

Finally, we need to get as physical as we can with Makar on the back end without parading guys to the box. He needs to be looking over his shoulder every time he goes back to retrieve a puck and he needs to think twice about zipping through the neutral zone for fear of getting stood up. He's a great regular season talent, but it would be nice to show him that they playoffs aren't the regular season because I don't think the Preds did that. Again, it's about slowing him down because you're not going to stop him completely.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
The Colorado forecheck is giving me nightmares. That said, I was pleasantly surprised the last couple of games how we dealt with Minnesotas forecheck so I’m very cautiously optimistic we can give Colorado a fight.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
To beat Colorado imo we need to play near perfect and have lucky bounces go our way :)

Mar 6, 2012
What's our best guess for the schedule? Game 1 Monday in Colorado?

Allens Five Hole

Jan 17, 2017
What's our best guess for the schedule? Monday start in Colorado?
Yeah if I had to guess we will be starting Monday. We're both the first two teams to advance so it'd make the most sense we also start round 2 on the first possible day.

Does COL get 8:30 start times too or are we now pushed back to the 9 pm window?

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

yurnxt

Apr 7, 2009
Hmm I thought I read something earlier today saying game one would likely be Tuesday in Denver?

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I can never bring myself to hate Colorado because I think they’re so fun to watch. And when the Blues play them, the games are just so exciting. Regardless of result, I’m going to love watching this series just for the entertainment value.

Odds are Avs in 5 or 6.

I’m wishing for Blues in 7.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mar 6, 2012
The Avs are the clear favorite on paper and they also always seem to do well against the Blues. The matchups typically favors the Avs style of play.

This will be an uphill battle for the Blues, but it's the playoffs, and as we know, anything can and will happen.

Chet Manly

Feb 25, 2015
Saint Louis
Yeah if I had to guess we will be starting Monday. We're both the first two teams to advance so it'd make the most sense we also start round 2 on the first possible day.

Does COL get 8:30 start times too or are we now pushed back to the 9 pm window?
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Didn't even think about that.......

f*** me, I can't do 10:15 start times. I'll pass out and spill my beer before the 2nd even starts.

Allens Five Hole

Jan 17, 2017
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Didn't even think about that.......

f*** me, I can't do 10:15 start times. I'll pass out and spill my beer before the 2nd even starts.
Haha, I'm in a bit of a quandary with these late starts. I've always been a night owl so they don't bother me much but we're expecting our first born in September so I feel like I need to get all the sleep I can get these last few months :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad