GDT: Blues at the Red Tank - 7pm (1/18/24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
Our PP looked the best it has all season. Having Patches on the right side changes the entire look of the PP. I'm really liking his play. He has fit in better than I expected and makes good decisions. It's looking like a nice pick up by GMBM.

Is anyone else tired of seeing Kuzy repeatedly skate into 3 or 4 defenders and turn the puck over?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Our PP looked the best it has all season. Having Patches on the right side changes the entire look of the PP. I'm really liking his play. He has fit in better than I expected and makes good decisions. It's looking like a nice pick up by GMBM.

Is anyone else tired of seeing Kuzy repeatedly skate into 3 or 4 defenders and turn the puck over?
I also think having Oshie carry the puck in is doing them a lot of good. Their entries look smoother and they’re maintaining possession of the puck. It’s a lot better than watching Kuzy turn it over at the blue line three straight times.

Reactions: um

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
I also think having Oshie carry the puck in is doing them a lot of good. Their entries look smoother and they’re maintaining possession of the puck. It’s a lot better than watching Kuzy turn it over at the blue line three straight times.
I see something a little bit different. To me the most frustrating part about Kuzy's zone entries is that he is able to take the puck across the blue line with no problems most of the time. But when he gets into the zone he seems to almost always make a bad play by either trying to beat too many people by himself or making a bad pass after he holds on to the puck for too long. If he could just gain zone entry, give the puck to one of his teammates and then get in position i think that would do wonders for their overall success on pp and es. Like some teams have players take the faceoff and then change, Kuzy should approach zone entries with the same strategy. Get the puck in the zone and your job is done. Get in position and let your team set up.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
So I take back all my criticisms of Oshie and will remain quiet on him the rest of the season.

His effort in the limited games he plays is > most on the roster.

Also, I'm now a Patches fan. His impact is noticeable all over the ice.
It’s about time on both counts!

Oshie is a freaking warrior. People calling for his “retirement” pissed me off (not saying you did, but those that did).

Here’s to hoping both he and Ovechkin get their games level. If so, this is a dangerous team to play.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Oshie is a freaking warrior. People calling for his “retirement” pissed me off (not saying you did, but those that did).

That's not totally fair. Oshie really has looked much better these past five games.

In his first 21 games this season he had pointless streaks of 9 games and 5 games. 2 goals and 2 assists. .19 PPG. .09 GPG. That ain't good.

Past 5 games he's got 5 goals and 6 points while being a beast along the boards. The time off clearly did him well.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Here’s to hoping both he and Ovechkin get their games level. If so, this is a dangerous team to play.
I'm in the Oshie can do whatever he wants camp. I would only ask him to consider retirement if the concussions are getting worrisome. He's had a lot of them, iirc.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC

Don't think I ever called for retirement. I've been an avid Oshie defender since day 1 when someone was initially calling his contract an 'Albatross'. I dunno, maybe I posted something on here, maybe I didn't but I was definitely anti-Oshie for a couple of months. With him on the ice, this team is totally different.

Reactions: PlushMinus

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I see something a little bit different. To me the most frustrating part about Kuzy's zone entries is that he is able to take the puck across the blue line with no problems most of the time. But when he gets into the zone he seems to almost always make a bad play by either trying to beat too many people by himself or making a bad pass after he holds on to the puck for too long. If he could just gain zone entry, give the puck to one of his teammates and then get in position i think that would do wonders for their overall success on pp and es. Like some teams have players take the faceoff and then change, Kuzy should approach zone entries with the same strategy. Get the puck in the zone and your job is done. Get in position and let your team set up.
This drives me nuts to no end. All Kuzy has to do, once he gains the zone, is pass back to Carlson, and let everyone get set up.

Yet, he holds on to the puck with no plan, drives further into the teeth of the D, and coughs it up. I wish Kirk Muller would scream at him to stop this and give the puck to Carlson (or another intermediary teammate). It’s such a simple, obvious fix.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
This drives me nuts to no end. All Kuzy has to do, once he gains the zone, is pass back to Carlson, and let everyone get set up.

Yet, he holds on to the puck with no plan, drives further into the teeth of the D, and coughs it up. I wish Kirk Muller would scream at him to stop this and give the puck to Carlson (or another intermediary teammate). It’s such a simple, obvious fix.
I'd rather Kirk Muller put someone else in Kuzy's place.

Hey Kuzy, the launch pad is over here!
1705699842234.png

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

that's a really bad way to spring shorthanded chances against. entering with possession is better than a pass back that can be jumped if it's systematic.

It's just wrong, sorry, even if the alternative is just to get it deep and work the numbers that's still better than trying to set up Carlson right as he enters the zone with limited options.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
that's a really bad way to spring shorthanded chances against. entering with possession is better than a pass back that can be jumped if it's systematic.

It's just wrong, sorry, even if the alternative is just to get it deep and work the numbers that's still better than trying to set up Carlson right as he enters the zone with limited options.
Those are fair points. Though, I’m not advocating for some dumb, blind pass the second he enters the zone. Or that a pass for Carlson is always there. But once Kuzy makes a nice move at the blueline and has possession fairly deep, he doesn’t seem to understand that he needs to move the puck once two guys collapse on him. So he keeps skating, and turns it over, since he’s too lazy to battle for possession.

Carlson is your QB, so that should be one of your first reads. Most teams enter with possession and get it to their QB via a simple drop pass (indirect, if necessary). I’m complaining because Carlson is so often available at the point, but Kuzy doesn't even have his head up to look for him.

Kuzy could also pull up in Nick’s old spot, wait for guys to get to their spots, and survey the play (like Strome does) - but he doesn’t do that either. He rides his edges (like he enjoys) until someone takes the puck away from him. He can be great at gaining the zone and finding open ice, but his hockey IQ is so poor, it’s frustrating to watch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad