Confirmed with Link: Blues acquire Zbynek Michalek + Conditional 3rd for Maxim Letunov

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Does anyone happen to know about how many concussions he's had.
Is his present situation the last in a few or just a rare situation. Hope he gets healthy and can get a good 10 games in before playoffs start.

Someone on FB posted it was his 5th.

I'm not sure how to find his injury history. But I wouldn't take a FB to the bank

Here's the official word:

In December 2011, Z missed 10 games with a concussion.

In 2015, he missed two games in early January with an "Upper Body injury", came back and played three games, then missed two more games with an "Upper Body injury". The fact that no details are known could mean that it could have been concussion symptoms, but no official word.

After missing four of seven games, Z came back and played 11 games in a row before going out of the lineup again - he hasn't played since Feb 14. Now here's the weird part: the official injury report listed him as being out on Feb 16 with a "Lower Body injury", but every game since has him being out with an "Upper Body injury" (which is believed to be a concussion).

I don't know if you can call this current injury his "5th concussion", but there's a chance the missed games in January and February could be related to the same concussion - especially since no one seems to recall Z ever being "injured" during a game, as he just pops up on the injury report with the mysterious Upper Body injury. It's not like he took a head shot and went out with the concussion - he simply played the game before and then didn't play the next, as though he woke up the morning after and didn't feel good enough to play.

In case, you were curious:

On Jan 6, he played 21:50. Missed the next two games.
On Jan 17, he played 18:30. Missed the next two games.
On Feb 14, he played 17:53. Hasn't played since.

Maybe he rushed himself back into the lineup in a contract year? If so, that would make this (his current ailment) only his "2nd concussion".

Just my thoughts.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Thanks, Im sure Army did his due dilegence with doctors to make sure hes on the right path to returning. I guess well see tomorrow. If hes symptom free, could he play Thursday?

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the January and February injuries were all part of the same concussion - especially since they never disclosed the details. Maloney was always going to trade him, so I'm sure he didn't want to drive his stock down. In fact, the most recent injury is still listed as an "Upper Body injury", and was only revealed to be a concussion after Bob MacKenzie started doing his own digging after the fact.

Thanks, Im sure Army did his due dilegence with doctors to make sure hes on the right path to returning. I guess well see tomorrow. If hes symptom free, could he play Thursday?

At this point, why rush him? I'd say let him skate with the team to get him fully acclimated to the new surroundings, and hopefully let him develop some chemistry in practice with Jackman (his presumed partner). In the meantime, Bortuzzo played in Pittsburgh on Sunday, so I'm sure he can easily join the team across the state, and get in a few practices, in time for Thursday's game in Philly.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Concussions are so strange. Remeber Oshie's last one? he wasnt close then he dressed the next day and never looked back. Not saying thats what will happen or needs to happen. Blues do have a somewhat luxury of letting him get comfortable.

maybe...

Gunnarson Pietrangelo
Boumeester Bortuzzo(Lindbhom can take some of his time)
Jackman Lindbhom

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Concussions are so strange. Remeber Oshie's last one? he wasnt close then he dressed the next day and never looked back. Not saying thats what will happen or needs to happen. Blues do have a somewhat luxury of letting him get comfortable.

maybe...

Gunnarson Pietrangelo
Boumeester Bortuzzo (Lindbohm can take some of his time)
Jackman Lindbohm

The funny part is that I'm sure Bortuzzo was brought in to be the 3rd pairing guy, but I'd MUCH rather see him paired with JayBo than Jax. I'd be totally fine with these "temporary" D pairings. The only question: how has Lindbohm looked playing RD? Has he been paired at all with Jax this season?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Yotes fan here.

You're getting a real warrior here, Blues fans.

'Z' will block any puck that he can get in front of. You'll notice that he's missing his 4 front teeth. That's because he blocked a shot, with his face, in a preseason game.

This season notwithstanding, the Coyotes had an incredible record when Michalek was in the lineup. Like, near perfect. It's just a matter of him staying healthy.

Enjoy. I have a bunch of Blues in my pool, so you better do well :P

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yotes fan here.

'Z' will block any puck that he can get in front of. You'll notice that he's missing his 4 front teeth. That's because he blocked a shot, with his face, in a preseason game.

This season notwithstanding, the Coyotes had an incredible record when Michalek was in the lineup. Like, near perfect. It's just a matter of him staying healthy.

Well that's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing, hope he does well.

Captain America*

Yotes fan here.

Sounds like a big Czech Mike Weaver.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Would have rather gave this years 2nd than Letunov.

I can understand that perspective as we don't know who all will be available late in the 2nd round of this summer's draft but we should be able to get a comparable prospect to Letunov. I would think that the Blues will be picking somewhere in the 55-61 range with their pick.

NOTE - the 2nd round will be 31 picks long this summer instead of the usual 30. Since the Blackhawks failed to sign 2010 draftee Kevin Hayes (24th overall), they were awarded the 54th overall pick in this draft as compensation.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I can understand that perspective as we don't know who all will be available late in the 2nd round of this summer's draft but we should be able to get a comparable prospect to Letunov. I would think that the Blues will be picking somewhere in the 55-61 range with their pick.

NOTE - the 2nd round will be 31 picks long this summer instead of the usual 30. Since the Blackhawks failed to sign 2010 draftee Kevin Hayes (24th overall), they were awarded the 54th overall pick in this draft as compensation.

That still kind of burns me. If a club can't sign one of their draftees, I think that's their problem. You get a chance to talk to the players in advance of the draft. You have several years to build a relationship. If you can't succeed, that should just be the way it goes.

Do teams get compensatory draft picks when a player gets career-ending injured or dies? (I'm seriously asking here.)

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
That still kind of burns me. If a club can't sign one of their draftees, I think that's their problem. You get a chance to talk to the players in advance of the draft. You have several years to build a relationship. If you can't succeed, that should just be the way it goes.

Do teams get compensatory draft picks when a player gets career-ending injured or dies? (I'm seriously asking here.)

Death? Yes. Rangers were given a mid second for the Cherepanov tragedy. I don't think teams are compensated for career ending injuries though, but I'm not certain.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Death? Yes. Rangers were given a mid second for the Cherepanov tragedy. I don't think teams are compensated for career ending injuries though, but I'm not certain.

I wonder how long past the draft they would do that. Bourdon?

Its murky. I guess the league is trying to compensate a team and fans who go through a tragedy. I still don't think Chicago should get another pick, though.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Yeah I read that and don't think the writer has much of a clue.

"Once Kevin Shattenkirk and Michalek return from injury, Michalek would figure to remain in the top four."

So is he bumping Shattenkirk or Pietrangelo to the bottom pairing.......

Jackman obviously.

Shatty-Petro
Bouw-Mich
Jax-Gunnar

Or whatever...

HS=Bortuzzo, Butler, Lindbohm

Remember that Bortuzzo was only brought in as insurance in case Michalek didn't pan out. He's the odd man out, along with our minor leaguers we use to fill in.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012

Its murky. I guess the league is trying to compensate a team and fans who go through a tragedy. I still don't think Chicago should get another pick, though.

Yea i agree. Why should they get a second bite at the apple?

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

The rule is that if a team doesn't get their 1st rd pick signed by the time that player either re-enters the draft (a kid drafted out of Jrs or Europe) or they become a UFA (college kid like Hayes that waited 4 years after the Hawks drafted him and then signed with the Rangers instead), they get a pick in the 2nd round as compensation that's at the same position as their 1st rd pick was. Ie. Hayes was the 24th overall pick back in 2010 so that's why the Hawks were awarded the 54th overall pick this year (24+30). All the picks after that just move down by 1 spot.

The rule only pertains to 1st rd picks (if you fail to sign a 2nd-7th rd pick, tough luck) and teams get the compensation if the player doesn't sign by the time he needs to...even if the reason they didn't sign was because of death. That's why the Rangers were awarded 47th overall pick in 2009 after they failed to sign Alexi Cherepanov (2007 17th overall pick). Someone mentioned Luc Bourdon as well. He also died but since he had already signed a contract with the Canucks, the Canucks weren't given a compensatory pick.

It's a weird rule but it's been in place for a while. I haven't kept stats on it or anything but it seems to come up about once every other year. I would be fine if the league got rid of it but obviously the teams don't mind it or the rule wouldn't be there. There used to be TONS of extra picks given out when teams lost UFAs signed by other teams. Those are now gone. For an example of that, go back and look at the 2003 draft. The 2nd round that year had 38 picks because there were 8 compensatory picks given out to teams that year because they lost Group III free agents. Who were some of the players taken with those gift picks you may be asking? Of the 8, 3 of them were Patrice Bergeron, Shea Weber and Corey Crawford. I'm glad the league did way with that.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
And to try to get back on track here, I like the Michalek trade. Hopefully he's able to get on the ice today and hopefully he's playing for us in a week or two. :)

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
Jackman obviously.

Shatty-Petro
Bouw-Mich
Jax-Gunnar

Or whatever...

HS=Bortuzzo, Butler, Lindbohm

Remember that Bortuzzo was only brought in as insurance in case Michalek didn't pan out. He's the odd man out, along with our minor leaguers we use to fill in.
We wont be playing Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo both are RH defenseman. Top 4 will still be Shatty, Pietrangelo, Jbow and Gunner due to them liking RH LH pairings.

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
Yeah I read that and don't think the writer has much of a clue.

"Once Kevin Shattenkirk and Michalek return from injury, Michalek would figure to remain in the top four."

So is he bumping Shattenkirk or Pietrangelo to the bottom pairing.......

Just because a player is a RD doesn't mean that is all he can play. people are seriously hung up on this.

I'd wager when Michalek comes back and is healthy enough to play full time minutes, he gets more icetime than Gun. That would make him top 4, regardless if his minutes are on the bottom pairing with some PK and PP time.

okay, I couldn't type the PP time with a straight face, but still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad