Confirmed with Link: Blues acquire Zbynek Michalek + Conditional 3rd for Maxim Letunov

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Just because a player is a RD doesn't mean that is all he can play. people are seriously hung up on this.

I'd wager when Michalek comes back and is healthy enough to play full time minutes, he gets more icetime than Gun. That would make him top 4, regardless if his minutes are on the bottom pairing with some PK and PP time.

okay, I couldn't type the PP time with a straight face, but still.

I was just going to cite Armstrongs interview where he pretty much said he prefers a L-R pairing for a "cleaner and crisper" transition when possible.

Also, thanks Iowa for that info on the draft compensation. At least it seems less arbitrary if there is a more specific rule.

I wonder if a team had ever deliberately not signed a guy who looks like a bust in order to get a better player with the pick.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I was just going to cite Armstrongs interview where he pretty much said he prefers a L-R pairing for a "cleaner and crisper" transition when possible.

Also, thanks Iowa for that info on the draft compensation. At least it seems less arbitrary if there is a more specific rule.

I wonder if a team had ever deliberately not signed a guy who looks like a bust in order to get a better player with the pick.

I could be wrong, but I think I remember hearing during the Schultz saga that the team has to make a good faith effort to get the player signed in order to receive compensation.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Right, if a prospect is clearly busting, you can't just sit on him to get a 2nd round pick out of it.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I could see Michalek getting "top-4" minutes once his PK time is factored in but 5 on 5, I don't expect to really ever see him playing the left side or playing with another righty like Petro or Shatty.

I do think we can sometimes focus on the lefty-righty thing too much but by and large, I think NHL teams think about it more than most fans realize.

Here's my stance based on my years in hockey. Once you start getting to a pretty elite level of hockey, a pretty good majority of d-men shoot lefty. I don't have exact numbers but I'd say it's probably around 70% lefties. For those that don't know why this is, it's because the predominant thought in most hockey playing countries is to have the dominant hand at the top of the stick. So if you're right-handed, you'll likely be taught to shoot lefty. With so many lefties, right d-men become a premium (handedness is a little less important for forwards but you'll find many more lefty centers than righty centers as well). This leads to many lefties having to switch over to their "off" side. Very rarely do teams have more righties than lefties do very rarely to righties play on the left side. This leads to more lefties being adaptable with playing both sides and most righties very rarely ever playing LD. I know there are exceptions to every rule but that pretty much how it's worked from what I've seen. The Blues obviously really prefer true lefty-righty pairings (probably to make a smoother transition/breakout) so they went out and paid a premium for two right d-men.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Theoretically most teams can have 4 lefties and 3 righties to get proper balance, but then you need quality and chemistry too. By having Petro and Shatty, it's very easy for us to get that balance because our best defensemen are righties and don't have to be forced into an elevated role for sake of balance.

That split second of not having to bring the puck to the other side of your body before skating up ice or making an outlet pass is more important than some think.

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
I could see Michalek getting "top-4" minutes once his PK time is factored in but 5 on 5, I don't expect to really ever see him playing the left side or playing with another righty like Petro or Shatty.

I do think we can sometimes focus on the lefty-righty thing too much but by and large, I think NHL teams think about it more than most fans realize.

Here's my stance based on my years in hockey. Once you start getting to a pretty elite level of hockey, a pretty good majority of d-men shoot lefty. I don't have exact numbers but I'd say it's probably around 70% lefties. For those that don't know why this is, it's because the predominant thought in most hockey playing countries is to have the dominant hand at the top of the stick. So if you're right-handed, you'll likely be taught to shoot lefty. With so many lefties, right d-men become a premium (handedness is a little less important for forwards but you'll find many more lefty centers than righty centers as well). This leads to many lefties having to switch over to their "off" side. Very rarely do teams have more righties than lefties do very rarely to righties play on the left side. This leads to more lefties being adaptable with playing both sides and most righties very rarely ever playing LD. I know there are exceptions to every rule but that pretty much how it's worked from what I've seen. The Blues obviously really prefer true lefty-righty pairings (probably to make a smoother transition/breakout) so they went out and paid a premium for two right d-men.

Pretty good guess! :handclap: I hope the Blues bringing in Bortuzzo and Michalek doesn't drop Lindbohm's games or minutes drastically. I'm trying to temper my expectations for Lindbohm, but the fact that he's only had a handful of consecutive games and has already noticeably improved is awesome to see. I feel like he brings a certain level of calmness that isn't very common with a rookie trying to leave a mark and earn a spot on an NHL team who has a reputation of a deep blue line. And as others have mentioned, he's getting the ice time so clearly Hitch likes what he sees. I expect a drop in his time, but I don't want to see Bortuzzo and Michalek play at the expense of Lindbohm's development. I'm sure Hitch and Army have had a plan for this and know much better than I, but it's still a lingering thought.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Michalek will definitely play over Lindbohm, very doubtful Bortuzzo will.

As Bleedblue1223 said. I think this teams biggest hindrance has been the lose of Shattenkirk's balance on handiness. They are easy to pin in their own zone. Any backhand attempt to clear the zone is instantly swatted down. If by luck they are on their forhand, the pressure is on them before they even have the puck.

I'd really like to see this team work on at least getting the puck to center ice by flipping it out. Even if the other team gets it back, they have to regroup. It's worked very well against the Blues

Captain America*

Jackman & Bortuzzo were paired up in practice today.

Hitch likes the 'beef on the bun'.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
First time this season we've had

L - R
L - R
L - R

I've noticed Jax and Bortuzzo aren't getting hemmed in, the handiness seems to help

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
First time this season we've had

L - R
L - R
L - R

I've noticed Jax and Bortuzzo aren't getting hemmed in, the handiness seems to help

Yeah, that pairing has been better than I expected.

I assume we'll end up with Jax-Michalek as the 3rd pairing once Shatty returns and that should be a good pairing as well. The Blues defense is DEEP.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yea, it's ridiculous that both Lindbohm and Bortuzzo who have been better then expected will be pushed out. We're going to miss that physicality

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If you can ever have too much depth, the Blues might have it.

That's a joke, BTW. Because you can't ever have too much depth, but yeah it's a shame solid players may not get a chance in the playoffs.

We will see how it plays out though. Perhaps we will have the option to sit a guy for a game or two if he's banged up instead of having to keep him in there.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Still getting use to the team, but he will be an excellent addition from what I've seen. Smart, good positioning, and gap closer.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Yeah he's exactly what they needed. Still would have preferred Zidlicky (who has 7 pts in 7 games with the Wings) but once Shattenkirk is back, Michalek will be the better fit so it works out.

As far as the pairings go, I hope they keep Gunnarsson with Pietrangelo. That is working well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad