Confirmed with Link: Blues acquire Yakupov for Pochiro & cond. 3rd

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Ive seen a lot of Yak the past few years and its not surprising he was sat last night. IMO its gonna happen quite a bit now moving forward until he is traded/waived.

Thought so. I was reading a few post back how great he was and it was another case of Oilers management losing another trade. Can't blame this one on us. I am not sure if Yak is teachable. It will be no time at all that Larinov (his agent) will demand more ice time for Yak.
I strongly feel that Yak was the beneficiary of playing with Galchenyuk in Sarnia. Galchenyuk should of went 1st.
I see Yak in the KHL next year

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Like flies on fresh ****. Any sign of a setback and they'll swarm.

There are simply players who harbour that kind of negativity towards them. Some deserved and some completely undeserved.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Thought so. I was reading a few post back how great he was and it was another case of Oilers management losing another trade. Can't blame this one on us. I am not sure if Yak is teachable. It will be no time at all that Larinov (his agent) will demand more ice time for Yak.
I strongly feel that Yak was the beneficiary of playing with Galchenyuk in Sarnia. Galchenyuk should of went 1st.
You really have no idea what you're talking about but I'm glad that's not stopping you from entertaining others.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

I don't agree. Yak has picked up this team's defensive system fairly well, getting back on defence and covering for defencemen who pinch. He's been fairly responsible in that regard, and played well on the forecheck, and generally, without the puck. These are all improvements over his play in those areas while with The Oilers.

I really don't think he was "benched" because of poor play. I think he was "sat out" because Hitch wanted Reaves in a game, to keep opposing players from taking cheap shots on The Blues' skill players.

There's no way he'll not start getting more minutes and not play most games, and no way he'll be placed on waivers as some Oilers fans have been predicting.

In my opinion, he'll become more consistent in quality play, and get regular 3rd Line minutes for some more weeks, while being added to the 2nd Power Play Unit, until he can be moved into The Top 6, and, by mid-to-late season, fully integrated into The 1st PP Unit.

I expect him to finish the season with 20-23 goals, and 22-25 assists, and to play well in the playoffs (and The Blues will have to give up The 2nd Rounder for him). They will not be sorry about that, and he'll not be exposed in The Expansion Draft.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I don't know how things will turn out for Yakupov.

The Blues are short on offensive prospects, so I expect that we will be patient with the guy. But he isn't a raw rookie, either. He's played four full seasons in the NHL, and he's been coached by professionals the whole time.

If he comes through, it will be great. If not, it will be another case of us taking on a failed prospect from Edmonton.

EL Bandito

Mar 29, 2006
Edwardsville, IL
Here's the thing. Yakupov shouldn't have even been the forward scratched the past 2 games. He's actually been quite good, IMO, and could easily have 4 or 5 goals right now. 2 more for sure, 1 being in Edmonton where if the puck hit the post an inch over it's in the back of the net and the other being in Vancouver where Markstrom robbed him at the goal line. Another inch and that one's in the net. He has his moments where he looks a bit lost out there or not so structured but for the most part I thought he's taken in the system quite well. During our offensive drought he was one of the only exciting forwards on the ice and was constantly trying to create. He's been physical and doesn't back down to guys taking cheap shots on him. I like him a lot.

It's not even a debate between Yakupov and Jaskin as to who should be in right now. It's the perfect opportunity to get him time with Stastny and Fabbri and what does hitch do, he puts Nail on the 4th line and then scratches him for 2 games. If anything he should have more minutes. Jaskin should be the scratch and keep Upshall-Brodziak-Reaves going as the 4th line because they are great together.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Here's the thing. Yakupov shouldn't have even been the forward scratched the past 2 games. He's actually been quite good, IMO, and could easily have 4 or 5 goals right now. 2 more for sure, 1 being in Edmonton where if the puck hit the post an inch over it's in the back of the net and the other being in Vancouver where Markstrom robbed him at the goal line. Another inch and that one's in the net. He has his moments where he looks a bit lost out there or not so structured but for the most part I thought he's taken in the system quite well. During our offensive drought he was one of the only exciting forwards on the ice and was constantly trying to create. He's been physical and doesn't back down to guys taking cheap shots on him. I like him a lot.

It's not even a debate between Yakupov and Jaskin as to who should be in right now. It's the perfect opportunity to get him time with Stastny and Fabbri and what does hitch do, he puts Nail on the 4th line and then scratches him for 2 games. If anything he should have more minutes. Jaskin should be the scratch and keep Upshall-Brodziak-Reaves going as the 4th line because they are great together.

I agree with a lot of the sentiment, but I don't see how anyone can criticize the lineup of the last 2 games with a straight face. We looked like complete and total garbage for 5 straight games, Hitch shook things up and we won our last 2. We scored more goals in the last 2 games than we had in the previous 5. Benching Yak isn't ideal for his development, but it did result in team success. I'm not saying it is causation, but I'm certainly not going to blast Htich for his decision making this weekend. We got 4 out of 4 points and the offense looked better Sunday than it has in at least 2 weeks. Jaskin has looked good playing with Fabbri and he made a fantastic play to set up Fabbri for the 1st goal yesterday (both the play in the neutral zone and the pass on the 2 on 1). I want to see Yak back in the lineup, but it is tough to argue that scratching him instead of Jaskin hurt the team this weekend.

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
I agree with a lot of the sentiment, but I don't see how anyone can criticize the lineup of the last 2 games with a straight face. We looked like complete and total garbage for 5 straight games, Hitch shook things up and we won our last 2. We scored more goals in the last 2 games than we had in the previous 5. Benching Yak isn't ideal for his development, but it did result in team success. I'm not saying it is causation, but I'm certainly not going to blast Htich for his decision making this weekend. We got 4 out of 4 points and the offense looked better Sunday than it has in at least 2 weeks. Jaskin has looked good playing with Fabbri and he made a fantastic play to set up Fabbri for the 1st goal yesterday (both the play in the neutral zone and the pass on the 2 on 1). I want to see Yak back in the lineup, but it is tough to argue that scratching him instead of Jaskin hurt the team this weekend.

I think you're spot on.

Last edited by a moderator:

OSA

Jun 11, 2011

Galchenyuk was injured most of their draft year and when he came back from injury going into the playoffs, Yak went down with an injury. The 2 hardly played together that year.

EL Bandito

Mar 29, 2006
Edwardsville, IL

It's great that they got 2 wins, I'm happy about that. What I'm saying is that Yak shouldn't have even been the choice to sit in the first place.

Anybody who's been watching the first 10+ games can see Yakupov, while still learning the system, has been one of the more dynamic forwards that the Blues have. So what does Hitch do, he gives Yak less minutes, moving to the 4th line and then sits 2 games.

The reason I'm upset with this overall is that Nail is clearly working his ass off and playing better in limited minutes than quite a few other forwards and he takes the fall. Coming from the situation he just got off of i don't think this is the best way to handle his development. The fact Nail sat has nothing to do with why we won, imo.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It depends what type of game the Blues want to play. Yakupov is clearly the more dynamic player than Jaskin. Jaskin is never going to win you a game. Yakupov rarely will either but has the skill to do it, and will create a lot more offense. He's simply the more dangerous player because of his speed and shot, and it isn't close.

But in fairness to Jaskin, he does provide size and heaviness that we could use in the top 9, and he's done a good job of providing it on his line the past couple games. And he's the "safer" player. And they've looked a bit better recently with him back in, so...can't argue with results.

It does suck for Yak, but he's going to be rotating with Jaskin unless he really starts to pull away with the position. And I don't think either one really benefits a ton from playing the 4th line. Jaskin could do it, but isn't better than what we already have there.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
Looking at his comments, he sounds disappointed but I think he's gonna get a role pretty quick. At least if Hitch gets his head out of his ass and stops playing Reaves.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Not sure what else we could've expected. Last game was probably the best all season, from the guy between the pipes to the offense.
Even if it isn't in the best interest for Yakupov's development, team comes first and the team has been playing well. It isn't like Yakupov is a potential superstar. At first, I was hyped and though we might be getting a pretty good player, but since he's settles down, I realized he really isn't anything special. Yakupov is a pretty big project.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Looking at his comments, he sounds disappointed but I think he's gonna get a role pretty quick. At least if Hitch gets his head out of his ass and stops playing Reaves.

Jaskin is the player that needs to be out. Hes going to ger carried on his line....

All Yak can do is keep his head down and put in the work. He's surrounded by good players, they'll keep his spirits up.

RORbacon

May 14, 2014
Central Illinois
Could we be seeing Jaskin's final look?

I don't think so. There is little urgency to try and showcase him at this point, IMO. I'm not sure the return would be worth losing depth at this stage of the season. Injuries are inevitable and having that depth is critical.

I think this is a pretty explainable decision by Hitch. The team was trending downward and had several rough games with Yak in the lineup. The Blues then played their best game of the season and are currently trending upward with Jaskin in the lineup. I see this as a case of: "Don't fix what aint broke".

I'm not saying I agree with Hitch here (I don't) but I can understand this explanation more than a "final showcase for Jaskin".

Last edited:

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
lol isn't saying you aren't happy just complaining?

Not really. It's more than just that. He was giving honest answers to the questions he's been asked about the situation. He wants to play, but he seemed to be understanding and taking the situation as it's given to him. He's not complaining to his coaches or saying he should be in there at anybody else's expense, which seems to be what he meant when he said he wasn't going to complain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad