Confirmed with Link: Blues acquire Yakupov for Pochiro & cond. 3rd

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
I'm hoping this is just Hitch's stubbornness taking some time. We've seen this before. Remember the ridiculousness last year when it took him ages to finally give Fabbri a shot at 3-on-3? Yet he had Paajarvi out there almost regularly.

For some reason it takes him a while to fully build trust even when the young/new player is playing well. Hopefully this is the case here and Yak's ice time goes up soon.

I dont think it has to do with trust, just playing it safe. There is no guarantee that Yak's effectiveness will stay the same given more ice time and responsibility. I think it's obvious he is still learning. Give him a chance to settle in, and become comfortable with his role 5v5.

I suspect Yak will get even better over the course of the year. He signs a very reasonable 3-4 year extension, taking a discount because of how much he appreciates how the Blues are handling his situation.

I think Fabbri is a perfect example of Hitch and the Blues doing everything they can to make sure a young player succeeds at this level. Sometimes it's a matter of putting a player's development over the team's needs.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I'm not sure what Giordano was thinking when he made that awkward (and horribly ill-advised) leaning poke check attempt at the blue line, but Yakupov made him pay for it in a big way.

Nice move and patience to induce, and then bypass, the defensive slide. That was my favorite part of the play.

Agreed...really quick move there to avoid the slide and fast mitts to complete the play.

I don't think it's an illusion...he seems to have very quick reflexes...that goal against the Oilers was bang-bang and plenty of players would muff/whiff that shot.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
He looks fantastic in St. Louis silks so far, as do the other Oilers which came before him. I am constantly amazed at the number of ways Oil management looks to lose trades and it happens so often, one would almost think it was purposeful as opposed to utter incompetence.

Averaging less than 10 min a night and 4 points already shows what kind of player he could be, when matched up with some skill. In Edmonton they sat him on the 4th line with players that couldn't make most AHL clubs, never mind the NHL and then called him out for not stepping up in the several minutes a night he got with the likes of Lauri (where offence goes to die) Korpikowski.

Here's hoping you guys finally get a Cup next Spring and Nail was the missing piece!

Last edited by a moderator:

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
He looks fantastic in St. Louis silks so far, as do the other Oilers which came before him. I am constantly amazed at the number of ways Oil management looks to lose trades and it happens so often, one would almost think it was purposeful as opposed to utter incompetence.

Averaging less than 10 min a night and 4 points already shows what kind of player he could be, when matched up with some skill. In Edmonton they sat him on the 4th line with players that couldn't make most AHL clubs, never mind the NHL and then called him out for not stepping up in the several minutes a night he got with the likes of Lauri (where offence goes to die) Korpikowski.

Here's hoping you guys finally get a Cup next Spring and Nail was the missing piece!
I am enjoying Yakupov a lot but I doubt he is the missing piece for our Stanley Cup admirations.
If you wanna see Yak win, just trade McDavid for Lehtera and it might happen :laugh:.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I am enjoying Yakupov a lot but I doubt he is the missing piece for our Stanley Cup admirations.
If you wanna see Yak win, just trade McDavid for Lehtera and it might happen :laugh:.

Propose it ... knowing Oiler management they would say yes ;-)

Funny, I guess I am not allowed to say that I "have" to post here on Yakupov.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012

:facepalm:
This guy is out of his mind. Yak had his share of time with decent linemates and, unfortunately, it still resulted in him being "chased by bees" for the entirety of each shift.

I haven't seen any of Yak apart from the game against Edmonton, but I was really impressed with the change he showed that night. Didn't see him spaz out once; looked like he actually had some idea of what he was going to do with the puck when he got it, which was never the case in Edmonton. Hope that's how he's been all season for you guys?

Genuinely seemed like a good kid with a good attitude, hope he has a great year in St. Louis.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
:facepalm:
This guy is out of his mind. Yak had his share of time with decent linemates and, unfortunately, it still resulted in him being "chased by bees" for the entirety of each shift.

I haven't seen any of Yak apart from the game against Edmonton, but I was really impressed with the change he showed that night. Didn't see him spaz out once; looked like he actually had some idea of what he was going to do with the puck when he got it, which was never the case in Edmonton. Hope that's how he's been all season for you guys?

Genuinely seemed like a good kid with a good attitude, hope he has a great year in St. Louis.

He's getting limited minutes, and has had to endure some linemate changes due to injuries. Berglund is a good match for him, and lately he's been opposite Fabbri. I think Perron is the long-term guy for that line, but a skilled guy like Fabbri is also a great option (that I expect to be in the top 6 when he gets out of his funk).

Before last night's butt-whooping vs the Rangers, Yakupov has not been a minus player all year. (Everyone was minus last night.) He's looking very lively on the offensive zone and has had some unlucky chances fail to score. I like that he is coming in with speed and with his stick in a scoring position. I think the coaches are telling him to shoot it. I really like that 3rd line, and would like to see how they manage things with some consistency and time together.

The coaching staff have expressed a plan to work Nail into the PP. He's had very limited time there so far. I think they haven't done it yet mainly to limit what he has to learn. But its coming.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
In an article today Hitch said he's keeping Yakupov on the 4th line saying "Not much has changed. Young guy learning to play the game the right way." That irritates me because with the team struggling to score right now putting Yakupov on the 4th line seems like a waste of offensive potential, however, Hitchcock knows a hell of a lot more about hockey than I do and I hope he knows what he's doing.

In 11 games with the Blues I like what I've seen so far from Yak. I think he could at least be a consistent 20 goal threat if everything comes together for him.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Yak has played well while with the Blues--tied for third in P/60 while playing on the third line and getting no PP time. He has shown dynamic talent possessed by very few of our other forwards and has shown no more gaffes than many forwards that have been playing under Hitch for years.

Yak has been a positive--not a negative. Most fans would prefer to see Hitchcock in the pressbox to Yak...give this team to Yeo once and for all.

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
I'm surprised it took this long to be honest. Yak is a tease and still plays a junior game. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting waived.

I really don't see what you see. Yak is one of 2 players on the Blues that really makes the game exciting. :shakehead

I think Hitch just wants to play a bigger, more physical lineup (putting Jaskin in Yak's spot) and Reeves back in the lineup. We just got bullied in Dallas. And we need a net front presence that we lost in Backes/Brouwer that only Jaskin (somewhat) can provided.

Yak is the odd man out, as Hitch would rather sit him than Schwartz, Steen or Perron.

I for one would rather see Perron sit, but, he's proven to be a responsible veteran, at least, in Hitch's eyes. As Yak is being treated more as a rookie.

I don't think this has much too do with Yak's play so far, and everything to do with playing a bigger, more physical lineup.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'm surprised it took this long to be honest. Yak is a tease and still plays a junior game. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting waived.
What games have YOU been watching???

Yakupov has played well for The Blues, Hes consistently forechecked well, fought for position in front of the net, creating several close-in chances. He scored quite well for the limited amount of minutes hes played. He's worked hard to get back on defence, responsibly, and been one of the better players at covering up for shiftmates' errors. His being out likely has nothing to do with his play so far. Hitch just wanted to get Reaves back into the lineup so other teams can't continue taking cheap shots at The Blues' "so-called" skill players. Personally, I'd have sat Jaškin or Upshall out, as The Blues need Yak's scoring potential in the lineup, especially during this scoring slump.

I can't imagine The Blues waiving him, as they need more forward depth, NOT LESS.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I'm not saying the poster you quoted is, but there is a segment of our fanbase that absolutely hates Yakupov. Like, pathetically, ruthlessly, so.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I knew Oilers fans would be in here. :laugh:

It's not like he really even deserved to be benched, we just have a lot of forwards right now. And despite not scoring, we have a lot of forwards that just won't get scratched. Yakupov really has not been given enough ice time to even do anything the past few games...

He has no chance of getting waived.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Oiler fan here in peace.
I liked Yak. He went thru too many coaches in Edmonton and Eakins ruined him. His agent (Larinov) didn't help his cause in his 1st year telling Edmonton to trade him or else. One thing I noticed about him and is when he is carrying the puck to the opposing blue line, he makes a stupid move and puts his teammates offside. He did it against Chicago. That puck must get inside the blue line. Will he last under Hitchcock?

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Oiler fan here in peace.
I liked Yak. He went thru too many coaches in Edmonton and Eakins ruined him. His agent (Larinov) didn't help his cause in his 1st year telling Edmonton to trade him or else. One thing I noticed about him and is when he is carrying the puck to the opposing blue line, he makes a stupid move and puts his teammates offside. He did it against Chicago. That puck must get inside the blue line. Will he last under Hitchcock?

He's already being put on the 4th line and was a scratch last game, and hasn't played bad. I'm not sure he lasts under Hitchcock.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Ive seen a lot of Yak the past few years and its not surprising he was sat last night. IMO its gonna happen quite a bit now moving forward until he is traded/waived.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Remember when Hitch wanted Jaskin play more gritty and hit hard. Forget skill just play hard on net. I think Hitch is trying to do same with Yakupov now playing him on 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad