Confirmed with Link: Blues acquire Magnus Pääjärvi & 2nd for David Perron

WJC_Fan

Jun 25, 2006
Saint Louis
You're welcome. There isn't much bitterness here. I really liked the kid, he was one of my favorites when he first broke in, then you started to notice his bad habits and lack of what we say "not in his DNA" toughness
Honestly ask yourself why else would a team such as the Oilers, whom is severly lacking size, speed and grittiness just trade away a 22 year old 6'3, 205 pound player who has size and speed?

Anyways, like I said, in our system he was not good enough, he was a dying commodity. And I said, if Hitch can light a fire inside him, make him go to the tough areas and become gritty, then you'll have a good player. Unfortunately, everything I wrote was my observation over the years. You don't want to hear the bad side of him, that's fine. But the rose colored glasses the few Oiler fans that came here spouting off his greatness is unbelievably bias.

I think that it is fair to say that Magnus has some areas in his game that need to improve. On the flip side, there are areas in Perron's game that made him expendable. Both coaches/scouts see something in each player that they believe will cause improvement in the new "systems". Either player could bust out and make the other side look foolish.

As for Perron, he likes to have the puck on his stick. To me, his success will be based upon getting him with the correct linemates. You guys have several guys that seem to be similar player to Perron with that type of play(Eberle, Yakupov, RNH). Who do you see as his best linemates and are there any concerns that there are not enough pucks to go around with only one on the ice. Just curious about that.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
I love what Army has done so far, and this trade especially intrigues me. Looking at areas to be improved, I think you could say we needed true playmaking/scoring, size, speed, center depth (yo compliment winger depth), and add role players. This is my point of view and analysis.

Roy - speed, best playmaker on team, veteran presence, greatly improves power play

Lapierre - big, strong, decent speed, good at taking draws, great for 4th line and PK

Aucoin - not too sure about his play, but I think he's more of a playmaker than brute? Good centerman yo play in Chicago with Rattie and Jaskin if so.

Perron for MPS - great trade for both teams. When looking at our lineup I still see that 'three 2nd lines' thing going on. By moving Perron (a necessary move for $) we acquired a true 3rd line player that will make third line money for a few years, who also has the potential to grow into a bigger role. We added a very fast north/south skater who loves getting back to play defense and is big and tall, with phenominal wprk effort. Also, look who we have in the pipelines. Tarasenko, Schwartz, Rattie, Jaskin. Are these players supposed to be 1st, 2nd, or 3rd liners? Moving Perron opens up room on the top lines for our young studs to get a chance while still on their rookie contracts. If Paajarvi turns out to be 'just' a 3rd liner, then so be it. He'll be an outstanding 3rd liner and will allow us to spend Perrons paycheck elsewhere. Instead of having a bunch of players trying to play every role, Army seems to be moving assets and signing quality players to bolsten key areas. Hitch's system automatically brings a strong strong yeam play, and now we're starting to mold that team into a more dynamic force. Can't wait to see what's next!

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Thanks for the feedback on that Edmonton Journal article guys, I figured as much.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
MPS was one of my favorite players on the Oilers. Kid has such a great positive attitude with the rare combination of size and killer speed. Take good care of him St. Louis.

ikeman79

Aug 3, 2008
Stewart should have been dumped but Doug Armstrong brought him here and Armstrong's ego gets in the way once again just like Dallas.

Halak will get every chance to fail as well with this man.

Remember this is the guy that gave away a first round pick for Ladislav Nagy and then tried to blame his scouts.

Nagy scored over 20 goals 3 times, 15 goals 1 time, had 5 seasons with over 40 points, 3 of those being over 50 points. Some first round picks don't even make the NHL. I'm not saying its the greatest move in hockey history, I'm just saying it isn't the worst move either. The year he was traded to Dallas he ended the season with 55 points. He had 14 points in 25 games with them, that really isn't all that bad. The guy played 435 NHL games and had 311 points, some first round picks will never score at that pace. I'm not sure why Armstrong was such a Homer for giving a first for him, his totals had been rising every season when that trade occurred. Who said he blamed his scouts? Why would he need to blame anybody, it really wasn't much of a disaster.

You'd rather he have dumped our leading scorer in Stewart and our only real Power Forward than Perron?

Halak won the Jenninngs trophy the year before last and his groin was pulled most of the last shortened season, why just give up on the guy? Who knows what the return for him would be? He could win the Vezna this coming year for all we know.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
Nagy scored over 20 goals 3 times, 15 goals 1 time, had 5 seasons with over 40 points, 3 of those being over 50 points. Some first round picks don't even make the NHL. I'm not saying its the greatest move in hockey history, I'm just saying it isn't the worst move either. The year he was traded to Dallas he ended the season with 55 points. He had 14 points in 25 games with them, that really isn't all that bad. The guy played 435 NHL games and had 311 points, some first round picks will never score at that pace. I'm not sure why Armstrong was such a Homer for giving a first for him, his totals had been rising every season when that trade occurred. Who said he blamed his scouts? Why would he need to blame anybody, it really wasn't much of a disaster.

You'd rather he have dumped our leading scorer in Stewart and our only real Power Forward than Perron?

Halak won the Jenninngs trophy the year before last and his groin was pulled most of the last shortened season, why just give up on the guy? Who knows what the return for him would be? He could win the Vezna this coming year for all we know.

I think Backes is our only "real" power forward.

ikeman79

Aug 3, 2008
I think Backes is our only "real" power forward.

I actually think Backes was our only real power forward before he was forced into moving to the Center position. He is an elite two forward that is very physical. I'm not sure he scores enough goal at the center position to be considered a real power forward as I was speaking of. I talking about a guy that is going to score 30+ goals most seasons, I think Stewart is very capable of that. Its going to be tough for Backes in the role he plays on the team.

However if the addition of Roy helps Backes to not be the top line guy his numbers would go way up. He will probably still have to play against other teams top lines in a shut down role, which will hurt his production.

Id far rather have Backes than Stewart, nothing I said was a knock on Backes. I just don't see him being as much a power forward as I see him as an Elite 2-way center. If moved back to wing, then yes a power forward.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
I actually think Backes was our only real power forward before he was forced into moving to the Center position. He is an elite two forward that is very physical. I'm not sure he scores enough goal at the center position to be considered a real power forward as I was speaking of. I talking about a guy that is going to score 30+ goals most seasons, I think Stewart is very capable of that. Its going to be tough for Backes in the role he plays on the team.

However if the addition of Roy helps Backes to not be the top line guy his numbers would go way up. He will probably still have to play against other teams top lines in a shut down role, which will hurt his production.

Id far rather have Backes than Stewart, nothing I said was a knock on Backes. I just don't see him being as much a power forward as I see him as an Elite 2-way center. If moved back to wing, then yes a power forward.

I don't get why people feel Backes was a better winger.

He was converted to center during the 2008-2009 season

2008-2009 BLUES 82 31 23 54 -3 165 6 2 1 208 14.9
2008-2009 UNITED STATES-WC-A 9 1 4 5 33
2009-2010 BLUES 79 17 31 48 -4 106 5 0 3 163 10.4
2009-2010 UNITED STATES-OLYMPICS 6 1 2 3 2
2010-2011 BLUES 82 31 31 62 32 93 5 0 2 211 14.7
2011-2012 BLUES 82 24 30 54 15 101 8 2 4 234 10.3
2012-2013 BLUES 48 6 22 28 5 62 1 0 1 100 6.0

Prior to the 2008 to 2009 season.
2006-2007 BLUES 49 10 13 23 6 37 2 0 2 89 11.2
2006-2007 PEORIA RIVERMEN-AHL 31 10 3 13 -10 47 7 0 3
2006-2007 UNITED STATES-WC-A 7 1 2 3 6
2007-2008 BLUES 72 13 18 31 -11 99 3 0 2 129 10.1
2007-2008 UNITED STATES-WC-A 6 0 1 1 35

A career high of 31 points as a winger the season he was converted to center he got 54 points his 2nd full season as a center he had 61 points.

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011

He was converted to center during the 2008-2009. [snip]

A career high of 31 points as a winger the season he was converted to center he got 54 points his 2nd full season as a center he had 61 points.

IMO, it has absolutely nothing to do with Backes actually on the wing.

Two reasons. 1. Because some people don't like him as a #1 center, and 2. Because some posters are cranky that Army didnt acquire a #1 center.

If Backes was 2nd line center, we wouldn't see the comments about his time as a winger.

ikeman79

Aug 3, 2008
:laugh:

He was converted to center during the 2008-2009 season

2008-2009 BLUES 82 31 23 54 -3 165 6 2 1 208 14.9
2008-2009 UNITED STATES-WC-A 9 1 4 5 33
2009-2010 BLUES 79 17 31 48 -4 106 5 0 3 163 10.4
2009-2010 UNITED STATES-OLYMPICS 6 1 2 3 2
2010-2011 BLUES 82 31 31 62 32 93 5 0 2 211 14.7
2011-2012 BLUES 82 24 30 54 15 101 8 2 4 234 10.3
2012-2013 BLUES 48 6 22 28 5 62 1 0 1 100 6.0

Prior to the 2008 to 2009 season.
2006-2007 BLUES 49 10 13 23 6 37 2 0 2 89 11.2
2006-2007 PEORIA RIVERMEN-AHL 31 10 3 13 -10 47 7 0 3
2006-2007 UNITED STATES-WC-A 7 1 2 3 6
2007-2008 BLUES 72 13 18 31 -11 99 3 0 2 129 10.1
2007-2008 UNITED STATES-WC-A 6 0 1 1 35

I actually didn't say I thought he was a better winger. I said I see him more of an elite 2-way center since the move. I was saying as a winger he is more of the prototypical power forward. At center he has more defensive responsibilities, than say Stewart, whom more fits the standard definition of a power forward IMO. I can agree to disagree with someone on this point as I can easily see someone considering Backes as a power forward. Another poster stated I meant Backes was our only real power forward, because I stated Stewart was our only real power forward. I consider Backes to be an elite 2-way center, if he played wing and could lax a little on defense, not worry about putting himself out of position quite as much within reason, then I would call him more of a power forward. Now he is just one of the best 2-way centers in the league that is very physical. IMO but you can write what I know on a match stick so...:laugh:

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Man, I'm so glad that MPS went to a contender. He's going to do great things in St. Louis. You're going to love his rocket-like acceleration and his blistering snap/slap shot.

Quick question: did Perron ever play the point and how did he fare if he did so?

ikeman79

Aug 3, 2008
Man, I'm so glad that MPS went to a contender. He's going to do great things in St. Louis. You're going to love his rocket-like acceleration and his blistering snap/slap shot.

Quick question: did Perron ever play the point and how did he fare if he did so?

Yes he's been on the point but rarely, he was more used on the half wall. He was ok, when we use 4 forwards on the PP it's usually steen on the point, he has a rocket.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Not very often. Quite frankly I didn't like any of the forwards we used on the point so it could be more a scheme thing than a knock on Perron though.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I don't mind Steen on the point, because he's really good defensively and he has a pretty hard shot.

Perron can't really take slap shots, he's a wrist shot guy so he needs to just stay on the wing.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Is that counting defenseman? You also got his listed weight wrong
That's because his listed weight IS wrong... Thought that was obvious what I was implying.

@SephF: I wouldn't put much stock into that article. Most of the media guys here (who are actually around the team, unlike some of the guys listed in that article) had great things to say about Perron in that he's friendly, nice and will always talk to the media.

There's really nothing to worry about there. I think his attitude off the ice is a happy go lucky guy so he should be fine in the locker room.

At times I've wondered if he could frustrate his own teammates on the ice but I wouldn't put much into that.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Honestly, the more I watch these past few seasons' games, the more I think I'll miss MPS. He had some of the best raw attributes on the Oilers. People here in Edmonton ragged on his supposed inability to finish, but I think it was just a lack of experience and confidence. I can't wait to watch his progression on a powerful team.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
ugh. guess he couldn't find any uglier number to wear...yes his father was born 56 but still, ugly hockey number.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
I think that it is fair to say that Magnus has some areas in his game that need to improve. On the flip side, there are areas in Perron's game that made him expendable. Both coaches/scouts see something in each player that they believe will cause improvement in the new "systems". Either player could bust out and make the other side look foolish.

As for Perron, he likes to have the puck on his stick. To me, his success will be based upon getting him with the correct linemates. You guys have several guys that seem to be similar player to Perron with that type of play(Eberle, Yakupov, RNH). Who do you see as his best linemates and are there any concerns that there are not enough pucks to go around with only one on the ice. Just curious about that.

Definitely. We have a lot of smurfs on our team and the compete level is there, but the morale is destroyed when they're getting annihilated on the boards.

Right now, as it stands, looks like Perron's linemates will be Yakupov whom is a finisher and Gagner...(if we sign him prior to the arbitration hearing) otherwise he'll get traded if we can't agree on a term and price point.

Yakupov doesn't need the puck on his stick and was seen passing more than sniping in his first year. Gagner prefers the give and go play. Perron might be a good fit on that line to start the year.

I would bet on taking Perron in your fantasy pool, he's going to get ample opportunity with us.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Even if Perron scores 30 as an oiler, which I think he can do, I think this trade is still a win for the blues. People need to realize that you make trades based on what they are currently doing not what they will do. If a team trades a player that scores 10 goals a season for the past 4 years and then breaks out and scores 40 for his new team, you cannot complain if your a fan of the first team.

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
Even if Perron scores 30 as an oiler, which I think he can do, I think this trade is still a win for the blues. People need to realize that you make trades based on what they are currently doing not what they will do. If a team trades a player that scores 10 goals a season for the past 4 years and then breaks out and scores 40 for his new team, you cannot complain if your a fan of the first team.

Well in that regards, a Blues fan could then say, "great job getting that setup guy for Perron to net some pucks in STL, oh you didn't" :sarcasm: I don't think it was Jaskin too much to get some personnel in here that we need to go win a cup. I don't have a lot of faith in what we have right now. This trade really just makes me think, that these two guys will enjoy the new scenery for a bit, but neither team is really poised to anything, again...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad