Not open for further replies.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Sheary - Crosby - Hornqvist
Guentzel - Malkin - Kessel
Hags - Fehr - Rust
Kunitz - Bonino - Kuhn

That's what I'd like to see next game.

Those are a great start, and props to rolling the Kuhn dog line (Bonino is the "dog"). The only change I would make is swapping Guentzel for Hags. Malkin needs a more defensive winger and I think Guentzel can be the centerpiece of scoring on a 3rd line (like Kessel once was).

Dumo needs to be on our 3rd pair too.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I paid to watch this one. It was pathetic.

The response to Murray getting mowed over and 2 of our defensemen standing there holding the Blues' player's hand afterwards was a culmination of everything that went on last night. No heart in that one.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Crappy game. Hate Blues hockey. Blues/Kings are brutal to watch... and that's coming from a guy who grew up in the clutch/grab era of the 90s. Brutal. Those games happen along the way. Nobody on the Pens looked interested in doing the small things to win.

Just to throw a positive out there, I thought Sheary/Guentzel were tremendous on PP2. I thought Sheary was our bright spot, once again, throughout the game.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean, it's cool to say that we have strong depth scoring.. but Bonino and Hagelin were a big part of that last year. They are complete no shows this year and Kessel is too when playing with them and it is clearly effecting his game as it did his last year in Toronto. He's like Malkin, when he is in a rut.. he is really in a rut.

The Penguins depth scoring today is miles ahead of what it was in 2013. A bad Bonino still is more productive than a 2013 Sutter, by a fairly significant margin too. The 4th lines just don't compare, the Penguins 4th line today blows that 4th line out of the water. I really don't know how you can argue the Penguins don't have really good depth scoring. Bonino and Hagelin not playing to the level they were at late last season doesn't mean they're not producing.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Sheary has a young Cammalleri look to him. He's just so savvy. Guentzel is a lot of the same. Those two guys just know where to go for the puck to find them.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I paid to watch this one. It was pathetic.

The response to Murray getting mowed over and 2 of our defensemen standing there holding the Blues' player's hand afterwards was a culmination of everything that went on last night. No heart in that one.

I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact Perron was a Penguin before? Maybe initially they just thought "Nah.. why would he do that?"

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
And what really makes me happy with Sheary is that he's getting the puck and making tape to tape passes in very limited space. This is most notable on the second powerplay. He's board battling, protecting, and dishing a saucer pass to the point clean. Not a bouncing saucer pass, just a good solid pass. Really good stuff.

I recommend people watching PP2 go out there and the movement from Sheary in limited space. That is something that really stands out. Everyone else was fumbling the puck or getting passes blocked.

Now that being said, he also tried to spring Rust on a 3 on 2 w/ Geno following up that got blocked, but he still had his mind right as Rust had a clear lane in.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Just rewatched the game. I skipped some part of the 3rd because it was so obvious that they won't score. Glad I didnt stay up for it, was super boring to watch

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
And what really makes me happy with Sheary is that he's getting the puck and making tape to tape passes in very limited space. This is most notable on the second powerplay. He's board battling, protecting, and dishing a saucer pass to the point clean. Not a bouncing saucer pass, just a good solid pass. Really good stuff.

I recommend people watching PP2 go out there and the movement from Sheary in limited space. That is something that really stands out. Everyone else was fumbling the puck or getting passes blocked.

Now that being said, he also tried to spring Rust on a 3 on 2 w/ Geno following up that got blocked, but he still had his mind right as Rust had a clear lane in.

Sheary has very clearly gotten stronger on his skates in the limited offseason. Last season, he'd get bumped and he'd fall over. He's really battled this season, and he is much more planted. I am beginning to really like him.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Malkin is frustrating me with how he's using Guentzel. It could be that I'm seeing it more just because Jiggy pointed it out, but it really seems like he's playing keep away and only passing to Hornqvist. Guentz makes a good play, gets Malkin the puck and goes to the net and Malkin holds onto the puck, ignores Jake, and passes to Hornqvist.

The kid is really talented and I don't think he's being utilized to his capabilities and a lot of that is on Geno.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Malkin is frustrating me with how he's using Guentzel. It could be that I'm seeing it more just because Jiggy pointed it out, but it really seems like he's playing keep away and only passing to Hornqvist. Guentz makes a good play, gets Malkin the puck and goes to the net and Malkin holds onto the puck, ignores Jake, and passes to Hornqvist.

The kid is really talented and I don't think he's being utilized to his capabilities and a lot of that is on Geno.

I haven't noticed this, but I'm going to pay more attention now.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Would anyone else be fine with us trading Hagelin at this point? He's been rather useless for half of the season.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Yeah if he's gonna be ignored, I'd try him with Phil to see if that would spark Kessel's ES scoring.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Would anyone else be fine with us trading Hagelin at this point? He's been rather useless for half of the season.

I'm open to trading a lot of players, but it has to be for an upgrade. Hagelin is useful on the PK and his speed is disruptive. He's been disappointing, but Bones seems to be the biggest issue on that line right now.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Am I frustrated w/ hags? Yes. Do i want to trade him? No. Unless you can find me a replacement that is identical in terms of speed, no. I trust him.

Bonino, on the other hand, has reached the level of "I'm okay if we move on at any time" phase. I know he turned it on in March last year. I know he's turned it on in March before. He's just so bad right now.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm open to trading a lot of players, but it has to be for an upgrade. Hagelin is useful on the PK and his speed is disruptive. He's been disappointing, but Bones seems to be the biggest issue on that line right now.

Am I frustrated w/ hags? Yes. Do i want to trade him? No. Unless you can find me a replacement that is identical in terms of speed, no. I trust him.

Bonino, on the other hand, has reached the level of "I'm okay if we move on at any time" phase. I know he turned it on in March last year. I know he's turned it on in March before. He's just so bad right now.

What if you put him in a deal for Duchene or Landeskog?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
And I'm a proponent of Hagelin. I think his speed is a differentiating factor. What sort of bumps him up on my radar is he is making 4 million per season for the next 3. Bonino is making less than 2.

And I'll say, his speed doesn't seem to be as hard for opponents to deal with this year. Last year, he was getting breakaways and creating odd man breaks. He hasn't created jack **** this season.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I've been on the "Trade Bonino for a better fitting part" train for a while. Welcome aboard! Choo-choo! :laugh:

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Last nights game reminded me of a typical Penguins visit to the Prudential Center.

At least last night didn't cost me ticket money.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Both HBK and SCR will suck 4 out of every 5 games but the 5th they'll get a few points so they will never get broken up.

This is frustrating. Sid and Kessel are non factors at even strength and have been for a few weeks now because Sully insists on these particular combos woking, screw what both the eye test and statistics say about the lines. Sully has to look in the mirror at this point. These lines aren't working. Put away your ego, admit you were wrong, and fix the damn lines. If these lines survive the break then Sully is approaching total arrogance.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
And I'm a proponent of Hagelin. I think his speed is a differentiating factor. What sort of bumps him up on my radar is he is making 4 million per season for the next 3. Bonino is making less than 2.

And I'll say, his speed doesn't seem to be as hard for opponents to deal with this year. Last year, he was getting breakaways and creating odd man breaks. He hasn't created jack **** this season.

Bones will be making 4MM next season is he's staying around so I don't really see the relevance in comparing Hags and Bones current cap hits.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Bones will be making 4MM next season is he's staying around so I don't really see the relevance in comparing Hags and Bones current cap hits.

With how Bonino is playing...I don't see how he can demand 4m on a long term deal.

I'd actually trade both of them right now, honestly. If we could make this team better and trading those guys was what it took, I'd do it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
With how Bonino is playing...I don't see how he can demand 4m on a long term deal.

I'd actually trade both of them right now, honestly. If we could make this team better and trading those guys was what it took, I'd do it.

Should a team in 3rd place in the NHL trade 2 top 9 forwards that were instrumental in winning the Cup last June? I'm not saying they shouldn't, but that's a pretty material overhaul so you better be sure of the fit in who you're bringing back.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Scratching Bonino to shake him out of this seems a lot better course than trying to trade him. Even with Cullen gone, we have Sunny. Give him a shot, what the hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad