Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
There's rarely 2 college UFA who hit at all. If they are good enough, they are drafted and force a trade first.

That aside, how could a mid-market, midling midwest team without a coach snag two sought after UFA? What do the Blues have vs any other team that would draw a UFA with a fixed contract.
Toasted ravioli?

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
There's rarely 2 college UFA who hit at all. If they are good enough, they are drafted and force a trade first.

That aside, how could a mid-market, midling midwest team without a coach snag two sought after UFA? What do the Blues have vs any other team that would draw a UFA with a fixed contract.
A clear path to a roster spot.

We've got some pretty obvious openings in the middle 6 in the short term. Alexandrov, Kapanen and a few others have failed to solidify their spots. Do we bring back Blais? Do we keep Walker in the NHL?

I'd think Anaheim and Chicago have clearer bottom 4 spots available with their pending UFAs, a dman wanting ice time isn't signing with us because there's no spot for them.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis

We've got some pretty obvious openings in the middle 6 in the short term. Alexandrov, Kapanen and a few others have failed to solidify their spots. Do we bring back Blais? Do we keep Walker in the NHL?

I'd think Anaheim and Chicago have clearer bottom 4 spots available with their pending UFAs, a dman wanting ice time isn't signing with us because there's no spot for them.
I remember last year we were trying to sign Hunter McKown and he ended up signing with CBJ. Are they a better destination than STL? He got to play 12 games with CBJ and then didn’t make the team out of camp and has put up around 0.5pts/game this year in the AHL. The Blues are in a position that they could give a college FA some games in the NHL this year, which I would think could give them a shot at landing one of these guys. Nashville has Tomasino and Phallsson in the AHL. Any free agent they sign will not get NHL games this year.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Do we have an easier path than the Sharks who are also in Cali? Chicago where you can maybe play with Bedard or celebrini and be in a major market? Look at Pittsburghs wingers and the chance to play with Crosby/Malkin. I doubt we are the easiest path to the NHL, nor the most desirable of those easy paths. Especially since Army always signs cheap vets to compete.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Mayich has really looked good in the playoffs playing alongside a smaller potential later pick Frankie Marrelli. They evened up the series last night and had played a tough sandpaper defensive D. I hope the Blues sign him and give him a shot. I see a potential 5-6 guy to shield a Krug/Perunovich defensively inept partner. Not afraid to mix it up or battle in front either. Decent first pass and good decisions to not get caught.

Marrelli is someone I've been looking at for our fifth-round pick. Very small, but he knows how to run a powerplay, and has an underrated shot.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
In a poll done by coaches in the OHL ranking players in 20 skill categories, Dvorsky came in 1st for best stickhandler and best shot. Came in 2nd place for most intelligent player. Not too shabby eh?

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
In a poll done by coaches in the OHL ranking players in 20 skill categories, Dvorsky came in 1st for best stickhandler and best shot. Came in 2nd place for most intelligent player. Not too shabby eh?

Mayich 3rd in his conference for Best Defensive Defenseman too.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Marrelli is someone I've been looking at for our fifth-round pick. Very small, but he knows how to run a powerplay, and has an underrated shot.
I like Luca Marrelli in the second. I’m a bit surprised he hasn’t been picked in the first. He is a really good player. I saw in the poll below where he is smart player and I agree with that.

I wasn’t overly impressed with Marelli and wonder if you couldn’t get him even later. He’s built pretty slight too.

It’s kind of hard for him to show that kind of skill when you have Henry Mews on your team. he’s pretty well been the offensive catalyst all season. He really has been fairly non-existent in the playoffs though. Not much to show for is offensive talent at least so far.

Last edited:

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I seen Danford listed as #1 defensive defenseman. He is one crazy son of a gun blocking shots. I will tell you that. He had to wear a visor for a while, and he still would lay out and eat the puck. Quite impressive. I don’t think he makes a very good transition defenseman though.

Reactions: Blueston

Damian Frerker

Jun 17, 2021
sorry for confusion. i was frying fish and trying to respond at same time. i was meaning dvorsky having a shot since snuggy is going back to school. also, these next few training camps are going to be very interesting with some of these prospects like snuggy dvorsky stennberg maybe others possibly being ready around the same time. CANT WAIT. Cheers

Reactions: Drubilly

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
sorry for confusion. i was frying fish and trying to respond at same time. i was meaning dvorsky having a shot since snuggy is going back to school. also, these next few training camps are going to be very interesting with some of these prospects like snuggy dvorsky stennberg maybe others possibly being ready around the same time. CANT WAIT. Cheers
Beer batter or Andy’s?

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Appreciate your enthusiasm, but I'd be surprised if Dvorsky will be ready by training camp next year. Most likely he starts in the AHL IMO. No need to rush him.

Reactions: Blueston

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

Contrast that with how his season started in Sweden. Really glad he came over.

Reactions: Hrkac Circus

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
He should at least play in the AHL and play nearly double the games against men. This is a disaster and could be a wasted year IMO
It's only a disaster if he is actually trying to force his way to a different NHL organization. His statements don't support that conclusion, but it wouldn't be the first time that everyone involved has said all the right things publicly despite a contentious relationship behind the scenes.

This isn't good news and I think that being in the pros next year would be better for his development.

But he hasn't outgrown the NCAA on-ice. This isn't a situation where he is so much better than the league that he can have a ton of success while reinforcing a bunch of bad habits. He can still absolutely stand to gain size/strength, which is easier to do with a college schedule. He can still absolutely stand to work specifically on his skating, which is easier to do in-season during a college schedule than a pro schedule. There is still plenty of room to improve his on-ice performance at the NCAA level as well.

This isn't a guy who has outgrown junior and is blasting one of the CHL leagues for 2+ points a night without having to put the work in. 2024/25 absolutely shouldn't be a wasted year on his development path.

Again, it is a disaster if he is doing it to get out of our organization. But if he winds up signing 12 months from now, it isn't anything close to a disaster. Perhaps not ideal, but far from disaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad