OT: Blue Jays Thread (II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Josh Thole is a back-up catcher. He just happens to catch R.A. once a week.

Is he good? Of course not. But there are basically zero back-up catchers in the league that should play more than 20/162 games in a year because most of them struggle mightily in many areas.

Catching R.A. is obviously difficult and also hard on the body. I am fine with Martin getting these days off.

In a perfect world, we have a guy catch Dickey as good as Navarro, but that's a luxury basically no team has right now.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
SP hasn't been this team's problem so far.

It's been relief pitching and, surprisingly, the offense.

If this team had the starting pitching it does this year to start off last year they would have finished with well over 100 wins.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
SP hasn't been this team's problem so far.

It's been relief pitching and, surprisingly, the offense.

If this team had the starting pitching it does this year to start off last year they would have finished with well over 100 wins.

I was looking at the roster today, and they seem to have a few guys in the Bullpen out with injury, once a few of those guys come back into the rotation, that should improve things down there.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I was looking at the roster today, and they seem to have a few guys in the Bullpen out with injury, once a few of those guys come back into the rotation, that should improve things down there.

The problem is that they moved one of their most consistent relief pitchers from last year into the rotation (Sanchez), and while this is a great thing in general because it's always easier to find good relievers than good starters (which Sanchez has been so far), well...they haven't been able to find those good relievers to replace him.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Though the passed ball is bad, let's not forget a pretty nice pickoff he pulled off at critical time in the ninth. And there was the loading of bases before the passed ball on some slightly missed plays by other Jays which all happened with 2 outs. He also could have had an RBI if not for a good throw putting Goins out.

The play is still not acceptable, but he was doing okay up until that gaffe.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
We all knew the loss of Navarro was going to have an impact on this team. We also knew exactly who Thole was too. I was really surprised the organization didn't bring in a back up catcher. Like I was saying yesterday, this team has a dead spot in the lineup every five games when Dickey pitches. Not just with the unreliable knuckleball but with the guy trying to catch him too.

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
That answers my question on who to get rid of between Cola and Smoak (still don't like Smoak all that much either though and is more suited as a backup)

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
His poor hitting is way likely more mental because of this, he knew a suspension was coming

I'd go with this.

Juicing doesn't impact hand-eye co-ordination or confidence. It does impact the power with which you hit the ball once you connect.

This could be a good thing for the team. Give them something to rally around.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'd go with this.

Juicing doesn't impact hand-eye co-ordination or confidence. It does impact the power with which you hit the ball once you connect.

This could be a good thing for the team. Give them something to rally around.

It doesn't magically make you a better player but it does make your body feel better. If your body is feeling healthier and you don't have aches and pains you can play better. My guess is this is why many guys try to get away with taking them in the first place. For a fringe guy to stop taking it probably affects their performance a great deal.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Another solid game from Happ.

His numbers have been stellar since August, but I still thought it was kind of funny how Pat and Buck were basically saying that the Jays ended up with the better left-hander in regards to Happ and David Price haha.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Another solid game from Happ.

His numbers have been stellar since August, but I still thought it was kind of funny how Pat and Buck were basically saying that the Jays ended up with the better left-hander in regards to Happ and David Price haha.

Yeah, I remember people questioning the Happ signing over the off-season. Seven innings from him was great.

Price is the better player, just having a slow start so far. This was a smart move by Shapiro. Gots to stay within budget.

Best part of today for me was seeing Tulo get three hits.

It's scary to think this team is not hitting well and still third in the league in scoring (a run out of first in that category). Granted, they have played more games than anyone else but they haven't played that many more and Baltimore is the only team behind them that is close.

No need for the Jays to panic. Today shows what this team is capable of and is a blueprint for winning the division again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca