OT: Blue Jays/MLB 2019 season

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
My Yanks heating up, now tied with the hated Blowsox.
Good man! Still haven't really seen any of the big guys catch fire, which is fine because the amount of talent in the lineup is masking slow starts for guys like Stanton and Sanchez. Gonna be nice to get Bird and Kahnle back from injury soon. If Betances ever gets his shit together and the team gets healthy they're going to be a force because Chapman has been flawless of late, and they're getting a lot of quality starts.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Does the Blue Jays social media guy have to use a lame Maile man delivers quip every time the backup catcher gets a hit?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Good man! Still haven't really seen any of the big guys catch fire, which is fine because the amount of talent in the lineup is masking slow starts for guys like Stanton and Sanchez. Gonna be nice to get Bird and Kahnle back from injury soon. If Betances ever gets his **** together and the team gets healthy they're going to be a force because Chapman has been flawless of late, and they're getting a lot of quality starts.

I'm surprised at the amount of quality starts, to be honest. Sabathia has not hurt himself yet, and Sonny Gray needs to get his own shit together. Severino is an absolute stud. But I agree Betances is the weak link in the pitching staff, but they look at that 100 MPH heater and drool.

Didn't realize Tommy Kahnle was out, but maybe with him back, they can shorten Betances work to just one inning. Any more than that doesn't seem to agree with him. And the oft injured sweet swinging Bird is missed, and that swing will be a welcome addition to an already formidable lineup.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm surprised at the amount of quality starts, to be honest. Sabathia has not hurt himself yet, and Sonny Gray needs to get his own **** together. Severino is an absolute stud. But I agree Betances is the weak link in the pitching staff, but they look at that 100 MPH heater and drool.

Didn't realize Tommy Kahnle was out, but maybe with him back, they can shorten Betances work to just one inning. Any more than that doesn't seem to agree with him. And the oft injured sweet swinging Bird is missed, and that swing will be a welcome addition to an already formidable lineup.
Yeah I don't really understand Betances. Guy was great for 4 seasons, and then midway through last year something changed and he's been awful since. Command issue have been his biggest issue, which is sad because when he's hitting his spots he has nasty stuff. Wouldn't mind them trying to bring Andrew Miller back as Chapman's setup man next season if he goes to free agency, but at the same time I think they need to acquire another solid 2/3 in their rotation. Sevy's a monster, and they're getting a lot out of Sabathia, but they need more out of Sonny Gray for sure.

Really hoping that Bird can stay healthy the rest of the year. He finally got some stability last year down the stretch, and come playoff time he was a huge contributor. Sucks that injuries have slowed his progression because he could be a 30+ HR guy in this league quite easily.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Braves kicked Joey batts to the curb
At least he got a shot somewhere else so he can’t just blame the Jays for his demise. Maybe he gets another shot too as there are rumours the Mets are interested. If it’s the end for him, I’ll fondly remember him as being the face of the Jays for a long time.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
At least he got a shot somewhere else so he can’t just blame the Jays for his demise. Maybe he gets another shot too as there are rumours the Mets are interested. If it’s the end for him, I’ll fondly remember him as being the face of the Jays for a long time.

Why would the Mets sign someone who looks washed up and is batting .143? The Mets don't seem that bad.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Why would the Mets sign someone who looks washed up and is batting .143? The Mets don't seem that bad.
They haven’t been happy with their offence. Haven’t checked their stats recently but I know Bruce hasn’t been hitting well. My guess is Jose comes really cheap right now and they feel they have nothing to lose with trying him out. Maybe they get lucky and he hits. If he doesn’t then they just release him like Atlanta did. Seems a shame to see him go out like this. Some guys don’t know when it’s over.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They haven’t been happy with their offence. Haven’t checked their stats recently but I know Bruce hasn’t been hitting well. My guess is Jose comes really cheap right now and they feel they have nothing to lose with trying him out. Maybe they get lucky and he hits. If he doesn’t then they just release him like Atlanta did. Seems a shame to see him go out like this. Some guys don’t know when it’s over.
It probably doesn't help when you have teams that continue to call you even though you clearly are done.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Why are so many people acting shocked that the Jays are in a free fall. I looked at the roster and saw nothing but holes and now they are starting Martin as a SS--the guys a catcher by trade who can play 1st and 3rd--but as a SS

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Everybody that thought they’d be competitive saw the holes but thought the pitching could help make up for it. That hasn’t been the case. The starting pitching has been awful since the middle of April and the bullpen that had been so strong has started to crack from being overworked. The loss of Osuna only made things worse as nobody has a defined role anymore.

It’s a real shame they didn’t blow the team up after the 2016 season when Edwin left. The run was over at that point and everybody knew it. Would have been nice to have even more prospects in the pool with Guerrero jr and Bichette. Rogers wanted to milk the run as long as they could and they’ve hurt the future a little doing it. They won’t get much for Donaldson and their isn’t much outside of Sanchez on the roster anyone might pay for.

Reactions: Yeah15

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Everybody that thought they’d be competitive saw the holes but thought the pitching could help make up for it. That hasn’t been the case. The starting pitching has been awful since the middle of April and the bullpen that had been so strong has started to crack from being overworked. The loss of Osuna only made things worse as nobody has a defined role anymore.

Yup. Nothing left to cheer for quite a while. I'll probably start watching again when Vlad Jr. gets his call up, but this is already a lost seasons and we are still in May. :(

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Why are so many people acting shocked that the Jays are in a free fall. I looked at the roster and saw nothing but holes and now they are starting Martin as a SS--the guys a catcher by trade who can play 1st and 3rd--but as a SS
The team is pumped up from day one by the media. Lose players every year and now it's a shock?

Donaldson should've been moved in the off season, now they risk him getting hurt or not performing well

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
The team is pumped up from day one by the media. Lose players every year and now it's a shock?

Donaldson should've been moved in the off season, now they risk him getting hurt or not performing well
I think the big problem with moving Donaldson in the offseason was the limited market. It seemed like the only real suitor was St. Louis, and they were aware of that and wouldn't give up what would be considered a fair price. The team decided to gamble that either they'd have a bounceback season where they could contend for a wildcard, or that other teams would have injuries that would make him a more appealing fit midseason. I don't think it was a bad decision keeping him, but they've gotta hope he gets going the next couple months so they can still cash in on him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I see the Marlins are down to just over 10k fans a game. Biggest drop in attendance in the MLB, not shocking but sad nonetheless

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
First time since 67 or 69 that someone has started in all the positions Martin has this season. Season is still young
I mean if he's a good enough athlete to do it, you can prolong his career (catching is hard on the body) and he can remain an effective hitter, there is no downside honestly.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Martin turning into the ultimate utility player.

Kendrys Morales pitching.

What a world we live in.
I’ve seen most of every game this year and sadly I missed Morales’ pitching performance.

It’s shocking how bad this team is when they’re using Martin all over the field. Part of the reason for doing it has been because of his age and the team wanting to transition him away from catching. Just as big a reason has been because most of the positional players have been so terrible defensively that the team has nothing to lose. The good start in April may be the only thing that keeps this team from losing 100.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Looks like the Jeter group may be even worse than the other guys.
Seems like that was the consensus from day 1. I understand the rebuilding, but how much fan base are you going to lose by the time the rebuild is done? And what happens if the rebuild is a failure?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Seems like that was the consensus from day 1. I understand the rebuilding, but how much fan base are you going to lose by the time the rebuild is done? And what happens if the rebuild is a failure?
Yeah, we know about failed rebuilds first hand here too. It’s not just that though, I remember hearing a while back that the new group was alienating the Hispanic community too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad