Blue Jays Discussion: Blue Jays baseball: now with 100% more wins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
1st game seemed like a repeat of last season's Sept and Oct. I don't get it, what the hell is their problem with hitting with runners on?

It was frustrating to watch that's for sure. Some huge swings taken at some bad pitches, but there was some bad luck so to speak involved. It's only the first game though so patience right? On that note i was impressed with Morales at the plate. He could've easily tried to force that bases loaded at bat to be the hero, took a walk on bad pitched to bring in a run.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
cool thing was that they were on legit good catches, not all arm-based or guys trying to pick on the old guy.

Bautista's good catches sometimes look awkward enough that I often find myself wondering if an actual good defender would have made the same play and had it look more routine. While yesterday's was definitely a nice catch (and clutch!) I initially felt the same way about it. Statcast, however, has that ball being caught just 21% of the time. That's pretty impressive.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Bautista's good catches sometimes look awkward enough that I often find myself wondering if an actual good defender would have made the same play and had it look more routine. While yesterday's was definitely a nice catch (and clutch!) I initially felt the same way about it. Statcast, however, has that ball being caught just 21% of the time. That's pretty impressive.

I call that the Adam Jones conundrum.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I call that the Adam Jones conundrum.

Jones fits the bill, for sure.

And, at risk of getting people started again, Ben Revere. A lot of people thought he was a good defender because he would make catches on the run. But most defenders would have had time to settle under it and make the easy catch because they wouldn't have spun around three times on the way there.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I still find it odd that people are still using that afl performance as a negative against rowdy. Probably the same people who thought Travis was never going to amount to anything.

Oh well I hope rowdy makes all these people eat crow for doubting him.

Not a lot of love for Tellez once again :shakehead

A lot of Rowdy love going on in the comment section of that article. Comparing him to other bats of his age or even older with comparable or less bats.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands

I was wondering how it was possible that a player with a notoriously bad range like JB could possibly make the catch if it was that difficult. The key was that the difficulty was mostly based off of the very low hang-time. JB didn't have to move all that far, but he did have to react quickly to get there. So the play probably fit JB's skillset a lot better than a lot of plays of similar difficulty.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Not sure if this is the best place to post this or the Leafs Ticket exchange, but is anyone selling tickets for the game Wednesday August 9th against the Yankees?

Girlfriend will be in town that week and she loves baseball. Looking for something field level, very close.

Please PM if you can assist!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

I was shocked he caught it, tbh. Even on the replay

And he was looking dialled in and mobile on a bunch of plays out there, really.

a hit woulda been nice tho.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
yeah smart commenter there for sure.

I have always thought, and will continue to do so, that you are indeed the poster known as Damaso.

The downvotes for those posts are unwarranted as he (or she) is absolutely correct.

Regarding the article, there's several less than intelligent things. Not sure how you can give a 40CV to someone who stole 15 out of 20 bases. In a world where Jon Harris is a bloody 45FV, how can SRF be a 50FV. How can one continue to cite AFL scouting reports 2 years later whilst staring those Double-A numbers dead in the face.

It took you until the last team report to write that crap? Bring back Kylie.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Not sure if this is the best place to post this or the Leafs Ticket exchange, but is anyone selling tickets for the game Wednesday August 9th against the Yankees?

Girlfriend will be in town that week and she loves baseball. Looking for something field level, very close.

My dude, get the vividseats app.

....and marry that girl.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay

Sent you a PM

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I have always thought, and will continue to do so, that you are indeed the poster known as Damaso.

The downvotes for those posts are unwarranted as he (or she) is absolutely correct.

Regarding the article, there's several less than intelligent things. Not sure how you can give a 40CV to someone who stole 15 out of 20 bases. In a world where Jon Harris is a bloody 45FV, how can SRF be a 50FV. How can one continue to cite AFL scouting reports 2 years later whilst staring those Double-A numbers dead in the face.

It was obviously rushed with lots of old information regarding players. I suspect a few quick Google searches and a 24 hour deadline = the 2017 fangraphs prospect report.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

I'm flattered.

eh, Kylie thought swihart was a top10 prospect. loved hoffman. his outlier picks look pretty bad now.

I like the guy they had last year. He actually scouted with his own unique expertise and gave some useful information, and has a number of successful outlier picks on his resume.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

To be fair, they're usually just looking speed, and it's possible Guerrero has below-average speed but is a smart baserunner.

Also, most catchers at that level kind of suck at throwing, and most pitchers at that level aren't particularly adept at controlling the running game.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The slider grade on SRF is probably my biggest gripe, can't really complain too much about the article as a whole though. Overall FV is pretty subjective and the writer obviously puts risk into his assessment.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
The slider grade on SRF is probably my biggest gripe, can't really complain too much about the article as a whole though. Overall FV is pretty subjective and the writer obviously puts risk into his assessment.

Why does it matter how anyone other than the Jays? grades Jays prospects?

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Why does it matter how anyone other than the Jays? grades Jays prospects?

Speaking hypothetically, it may help when 3rd parties hype up your prospects beyond what you actually see in them, because you may be able to get better trade value for them.

For instance, Boston and Yankee prospects are consistently extra-hyped, and more often then not turn out to be busts...but quite often not before those teams have sold them off to a sucker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad