Blue Jays Discussion: Blue Jays baseball: now with 100% more wins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
My issue, and I think I've posted about it a few times here, wasn't that he disliked the Edwin situation, but the way he went about it by basing his analysis primarily on rumours and making all kinds of assumptions. It was weird. And then he doubles down by adding on his displeasure with the LF/1B situation.

Basically it boils down to:

A) Should have been more patient and signed Edwin.
B) Should have improved LF.
C) Should have improved 1B.

So... we're just going to expect management to add the $9 million needed to go from Morales to Edwin and STILL expect them to put out a more well-rounded roster? If anything, making that move means they can't sign Pearce and the roster actually then has two MASSIVE holes instead of one hole and great player who's an injury risk.

Unless he's actually complaining about payroll, in which case that's not a management issue.

To be quite frank, his writing regarding this organization this particular offseason is written almost exclusively from the POV of a fan. And what I mean by that is he has no benefit of any additional information, and is writing using rumour, conjecture and second hand info that any of us would have access to. Which makes sense given most of his ties and sources to the front office are likely long gone. Therefore, in the past when he may have been privy to additional info regarding the Edwin situation, he was most certainly not on this occasion, which has made his writing come off as slightly petulant.

His criticism isn't completely unfounded. Many of us (you and I specifically, initially criticized the Morales signing) had issue with several things that happened this offseason. The difference is we are not national baseball writers with followings. We're aware that our sources are limited, and can only make assertions based on what we have access to. However, Keri still has a job to do, and must go fourth even with limited sources. He can only make his assertions with what he knows, which is next to nothing, which is why what he says should be taken with a grain of salt. His articles are simply opinion pieces.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
To be quite frank, his writing regarding this organization this particular offseason is written almost exclusively from the POV of a fan. And what I mean by that is he has no benefit of any additional information, and is writing using rumour, conjecture and second hand info that any of us would have access to. Which makes sense given most of his ties and sources to the front office are likely long gone. Therefore, in the past when he may have been privy to additional info regarding the Edwin situation, he was most certainly not on this occasion, which has made his writing come off as slightly petulant.

His criticism isn't completely unfounded. Many of us (you and I specifically, initially criticized the Morales signing) had issue with several things that happened this offseason. The difference is we are not national baseball writers with followings. We're aware that our sources are limited, and can only make assertions based on what we have access to. However, Keri still has a job to do, and must go fourth even with limited sources. He can only make his assertions with what he knows, which is next to nothing, which is why what he says should be taken with a grain of salt. His articles are simply opinion pieces.

This is basically the post I wish I wrote about the situation.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

To me, the untold story of the winter was what happened between EE and the Jays after the 4 for $80 offer was made.

From the outside looking in, it seems clear EE rejected that offer in a manner that made the Jays believe they had no chance of reaching a deal with him. I've been hoping to get some insight about what actually went down.

The vast majority of people (including us) commenting on the situation have no insight into what really happened and that makes it easy to say: "The Jays should have done this, the Jays should have waited, etc. etc."

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
To me, the untold story of the winter was what happened between EE and the Jays after the 4 for $80 offer was made.

From the outside looking in, it seems clear EE rejected that offer in a manner that made the Jays believe they had no chance of reaching a deal with him. I've been hoping to get some insight about what actually went down.

The vast majority of people (including us) commenting on the situation have no insight into what really happened and that makes it easy to say: "The Jays should have done this, the Jays should have waited, etc. etc."

We originally heard there was a deadline (something like 72 hours?), and we later heard that they twice extended the deadline. So it's not like they moved on right away.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Jays minor league rosters are out. Season starts on thursday. New Hampshire, Dunedin and lansing look like the most interesting teams to follow.

Here is a run down where the top prospects will be starting

Buffalo- Rowdy

New Hampshire- Alford, Urena, McGuire, Ramirez, SRF, Greene, Harris, Rios

Dunedin- Zeuch, Perdomo, Borucki, Gourriel, Jansen

Lansing- Vlad jr, Bichette, Woodman, Maese.

Didn't see Pilacios on the rosters so he must be on the dl. I would expect to see him in Lansing or Dunedin otherwise.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Jays minor league rosters are out. Season starts on thursday. New Hampshire, Dunedin and lansing look like the most interesting teams to follow.

Buffalo- Rowdy

Didn't see Pilacios on the rosters so he must be on the dl. I would expect to see him in Lansing or Dunedin otherwise.

Hopefully Gourriel's stay in Dunedin is short.

As someone who follows all Jays prospect really closer, one of the most frustrating things is when the most exciting prospects start the year in short-season ball. Guerrero skipping Vancouver isn't that surprising, but I'm kind of pleasantly surprised at Bichette skipping both Bluefield and Vancouver to get to a full-season team. That's awesome.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Hopefully Gourriel's stay in Dunedin is short.

As someone who follows all Jays prospect really closer, one of the most frustrating things is when the most exciting prospects start the year in short-season ball. Guerrero skipping Vancouver isn't that surprising, but I'm kind of pleasantly surprised at Bichette skipping both Bluefield and Vancouver to get to a full-season team. That's awesome.

No it isn't awesome. I wanted to see them dammit! :P

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
No it isn't awesome. I wanted to see them dammit! :P

Most of the good young hitters that come through the system are likely to skip vancouver. Any high school picks that have success in the GCL and Bluefield will likely start the following season in Lansing.

Just be happy we get treated to some good young pitchers every year. There is a couple of nice arms from the GCL last year that I'm hoping end up in Vancouver at some point this season.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Former Jays prospect Chase De Jong called up to Seattle temporarily. Not sure if he'll pitch out of the pen or not.

Jays traded him to LA to make international spending pool room for Vlad. LA traded him to Seattle this offseason.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Buffalo- Rowdy

MaxPower to Dunedin as well, and listed as a catcher. But Reeves and Jansen both there as well so not sure how much if any catching time he'll get.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
MaxPower to Dunedin as well, and listed as a catcher. But Reeves and Jansen both there as well so not sure how much if any catching time he'll get.

Forgot about him. I just expected he would be on the dl once again lol.

I'm not sure what the plan is with Pentecost. The only position where his bat sticks is either 2nd or catcher. Perhaps 3rd if his bat is good enough. They need to start grooming him at another position soon if they don't feel he can stay healthy as a catcher.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
source? I read on twitter he was taking some ground balls at 1st earlier this spring, but there's also this

Just based on the info from ST. He might be inching closer to returning behind the plate but I think it's logical to assume that he'll be playing first base. Juan Kelly is also listed as a 1B on the Dunedin roster so it seems they officially took him off catcher.

His arm must be toast if that's the plan. I'm sure he's athletic enough to try 2nd or 3rd. Really limits his potential if you put him at 1st...unless he rips the cover off the ball.

Could very well find a spot in the corner OF too. Dude's athletic but he still needs to make sure that arm is okay.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
His arm must be toast if that's the plan. I'm sure he's athletic enough to try 2nd or 3rd. Really limits his potential if you put him at 1st...unless he rips the cover off the ball.

It's easing him back him after the injury while also diversifying his portfolio to give him regular at-bats, that's how I see it. I agree though with trying him in the infield and outfield, he has the athlectism to be a complete utility player.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
1st game seemed like a repeat of last season's Sept and Oct. I don't get it, what the hell is their problem with hitting with runners on?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
1st game seemed like a repeat of last season's Sept and Oct. I don't get it, what the hell is their problem with hitting with runners on?

They had ten PA with runners in scoring position yesterday. They ended up with two walks, one strikeout, and seven balls in play, all of which went for outs.

It's the least satisfying answer possible, but sometimes the best explanation is "It happens."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad