Blue Jackets Worst Draft Picks

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
yeah...pretty sure me too...i sway towards Brule, but that's not his fault that Dougie ruined him before he set foot on columbus ice...so Picard is worse

I think the rush to the NHL is only a small portion of Brule's problems. I remember hearing a guy talk about Brule after it was obvious that he was going to be a bust in the NHL. His observation was that Brule was like a bowling ball in Juniors. He was successful because he could pretty much skate over or through smaller guys. When he got to the pro game where everyone was bigger and faster he could not skate through or over guys, and he was never going to be good enough to skate around them. Looking back at his being drafted, it was apparent that everyone saw that but Dougie boy.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
IMO Picard will always be numerous 1 on this list.

The problem with calling Picard a bad pick is that he was not the same player after the knee injuries. There's no way to predict what players will have injuries.

Picard's skating fit in the clutch and grab style NHL but was slow to begin with (there's a trend of drafting players with questionable skating because they are big and strong), but after the injuries he wasn't going to ever make it as an NHL player. The real question was his goal scoring ability, but he did have a breakout year in the Q during his draft year. His hand of stone became more of a problem in the NHL as he probably got more and more frustrated trying to score his first NHL goal. Had he not gotten injured and got a lucky break and pucks went his way earlier on, he might have ended up a decent 3rd liner.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I didn't know that MBEE

Loui Eriksson - drafted 2003, #33 overall

#33 overall in 2003 - traded by Columbus to Dallas for Grant Marshall, August 29 2001

:shakehead

Dallas didn't have a flawless draft then though. They originally held pick #28, but traded it to Anaheim for #36 and #54. #36 for Vojtech Polak and #54 was BJ Crombeen....#28 was Corey Perry.

Looking at that I know we let Doug MacLean off way to easy when he rode out of town in Jill's Porshe with all that money. Dude should have been waterboaded

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Some great info.. but I remember the Brule jr years

I think the rush to the NHL is only a small portion of Brule's problems. I remember hearing a guy talk about Brule after it was obvious that he was going to be a bust in the NHL. His observation was that Brule was like a bowling ball in Juniors. He was successful because he could pretty much skate over or through smaller guys. When he got to the pro game where everyone was bigger and faster he could not skate through or over guys, and he was never going to be good enough to skate around them. Looking back at his being drafted, it was apparent that everyone saw that but Dougie boy.

Brule was considered the Crosby of the West and he was a beast in Junior. Picard on the other hand should have been the Andrew Ladd pick correct? We would have ended up a completely different team just drafting Kopitar and Ladd to skate with Nash. that would have been a formidable line. Not trading for Marshall and drafting either Erickson or Perry(London Knight - who we knew everything about) you just added about 80 goals to the Jackets in the early years. That would have made the scattered pickups of Sydor, LaPylon, Richardson and Foote a hell of a lot more meaningful when you actually have some offense. Or lets say you drafted Shea Weber -

If's & buts were candy and nuts.. I wouln't have drank so much Molson & Labatt's blue

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
The problem with calling Picard a bad pick is that he was not the same player after the knee injuries. There's no way to predict what players will have injuries.

Picard's skating fit in the clutch and grab style NHL but was slow to begin with (there's a trend of drafting players with questionable skating because they are big and strong), but after the injuries he wasn't going to ever make it as an NHL player. The real question was his goal scoring ability, but he did have a breakout year in the Q during his draft year. His hand of stone became more of a problem in the NHL as he probably got more and more frustrated trying to score his first NHL goal. Had he not gotten injured and got a lucky break and pucks went his way earlier on, he might have ended up a decent 3rd liner.

You're much kinder than I am.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I won't argue the final three paragraphs, since I agree. I will have to take issue here though.

When the trade was made, the key factors are as follows:
- Marshall was 28 years old
- He'd never hit 15 goals in a season, and only touched 10 twice
- He'd hit 30 points once, and had just put up 37 points in the most recent season
- He was getting an inordinate amount of power play time in 2000-01, which boosted his overall numbers

On the other side:
- Columbus had just finished up the first season in franchise history
- There was zero chance of contending for a Cup, winning a playoff round, making the playoffs at all, and not much chance of finishing in the top 10 in the Western Conference
- Since the team would obviously be going through an extended building process with no chance to get prime UFAs, retaining and using prime draft picks was vital

In addition, Marshall was on the trade block by Dallas because they were at serious risk of losing him in the waiver draft. Multiple teams were said to be offering mid-round conditional draft picks in 2002 to get Marshall (and protect him on their own). He was acquired for an unconditional second-round pick from an expansion team in what was already projected to be an exceptional draft. That same team was picking 3rd in the waiver draft.

Sure, Marshall was serviceable. But a team in that position cannot throw away a quality asset to go after someone "serviceable". It's the type of deal that a team beefing up at the trade deadline would make if they had an injury to key third-liner*. Several other 2nd-rounders in 2003 were traded straight up for players, and all of them were in the 2003 calendar year (either at the draft or trade deadline). To throw a dart two years out for a player who would serve no real purpose on an expansion team is the type of shortsighted stupidity that the Ballard-era Leafs or any of the 1967 expansion teams would do.

*Marshall had played 59 playoff games with Dallas, and failed to score a single goal. His overall line: 59 games, 0 goals, 8 assists, 79 PIMs.

I never said he was worth a second round pick, just had mentioned that I got the idea behind the trade. They were looking to replace the 22 goals from Steve Heinze, and Grant Marshall was a similar style of player (though obviously less skilled). You know how things were with Doug as well as I do (after all, we are both Howson fans) ... he always felt he could replace production with someone less expensive, a little bit older, etc ... which was never the case. After all, if was Dougie who used Sean Pronger as his top line center. In the NHL.

The biggest point was in the following paragraphs. Had he kept that pick, he would have wound up taking Dan Fritsche at 33, and with the Evgeni Tunik with the 46th pick. Or, traded them both for two fourth rounders in 2005, a conditional 7th rounder in 2004, and Mike Danton.

IMO Picard will always be numerous 1 on this list.

Agreed.

Partially true. Brule was compared quite favorably to Crosby - even as far back as when he was 14 years old. He was really thought of as the second best forward in the draft for most of the year and seemed almost surely to be a top-4 pick even on draft day. It was a lock that Crosby was going first; nobody doubted that. But, there was debate that Anaheim could go in any direction (Ryan, Jack Johnson, Pouliot, Brule). Anaheim took Ryan, and Carolina took the guy that they thought would be their future franchise defenseman. After that, Brule was definitely expected to go within the next two picks ... Minnesota taking Pouliot wasn't entirely shocking, but the Canadiens taking Carey Price caught so many people off guard. I know of people who compared that pick to the Habs taking Doug Wickenheiser instead the smallish Denis Savard...

Brule wasn't highly touted because he was a physically dominant guy. He was thought of as a Jeremy Roenick type player ... similar size, yes he was physical/hard to play against, but he had silky smooth hands, above average vision and playmaking skills, and a wicked shot. Gilbert Brule, had he spent another year in junior, been forced to work hard and earn his spot on the team, and developed properly; would have been a #1 center in the NHL. He was handed a roster spot because the Jackets simply didn't have anything better (and Doug MacLean saw stars when he drafted him) ... it went straight to his head, and he never found any reason to learn the ins and outs of the pro game. Trust me, I met him when he was 18 years old. He thought he was the next Wayne Gretzky, even though he hadn't achieved anything in the NHL other than a severe injury. The guy actually seemed sour that he wasn't still in the NHL, at 18 years old.

He was mis-handled from day one. Had almost any other organ-I-zation drafted him, I have a feeling he would have turned out far differently.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I never said he was worth a second round pick, just had mentioned that I got the idea behind the trade. They were looking to replace the 22 goals from Steve Heinze, and Grant Marshall was a similar style of player (though obviously less skilled). You know how things were with Doug as well as I do (after all, we are both Howson fans) ... he always felt he could replace production with someone less expensive, a little bit older, etc ... which was never the case. After all, if was Dougie who used Sean Pronger as his top line center. In the NHL.

The only logic I've ever been able to extract at all from the situation was "I want Grant Marshall". It's just when it came time to actually try to realize dream that things started lapsing into the absurd.

The biggest point was in the following paragraphs. Had he kept that pick, he would have wound up taking Dan Fritsche at 33, and with the Evgeni Tunik with the 46th pick. Or, traded them both for two fourth rounders in 2005, a conditional 7th rounder in 2004, and Mike Danton.

Most likely true.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I may be wrong, this was before I became die hard CBJ fan, but didn't Picard show flashes of being good before he had a knee surgery one year?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Let's remember one other thing, the CBJ always sucked, but weren't the suckiest sucks that ever sucked. Other then the trade up for Nash, we were never in a position to take those no doubters like a Malkin or Crosby. Throw the fact that the CBJ have the worst luck of all time in winning the draft lottery, and there you go.

There are always those 1 or 2 sure fire stars, then the rest are a crap shoot.

The thing that really pissed me off about Zherdev was that the entire scouting staff did not want to take him, and Maclean overruled them. He was the only one that wanted him, and of course being drunk with power he would not listen to his staff. I would bet that happened a lot with fat head Maclean.

I also remember reading somewhere that the Jackets didn't even talk to Zherdev until the day of the draft.

dru

Jarmo Unchained
Jun 9, 2005
CBUS
www.colorriot.com
Alex Picard is by far the worst. One of the worst skaters I've ever seen and skating seems to be an integral part of ice hockey.

HM goes to Doug MacLean's kid for selecting Brule over Kopitar for us. Thanks bud!

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I may be wrong, this was before I became die hard CBJ fan, but didn't Picard show flashes of being good before he had a knee surgery one year?

Picard had glimpses of being a Boll type of player. There was one game where I really keyed in on him and he was basically trying to hit everyone and ignoring the fact that the goal of hockey is to play the puck. There was one shift were he went for a hit and essentially missed the guy and the Ducks went on an oddman break the other way. He had two 40 goal seasons in the Q, but he seemed like all he wanted to do was prove how physical he could play and how many hits he could get each shift.

Picard's skating style was strange from being a speed skater. He wasn't a fluid skater, but he did have okay speed until the injury.

This was the Central Scouting blurb about Picard from 2004:

"Skates in bent-over fashion but has a good stride, fine balance and deceptive speed. He can beat opposing defensemen to the outside. ... His strength allows him to charge the net well and make cuts to different directions quickly. ... On the power play, he is effective in establishing position in front of the net. ... A good leader who can take hits and dish them out, too." http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/draft/2004-06-25-first-round-capsules_x.htm

Bob Mackenzie's blurb about Picard from the 2004 draft:
Lowdown: "Hard-working" is a phrase used often to describe this product of the Quebec Junior League who led his team in scoring in just his second full season. Adroit skater and confident puck-carrier, he needs to improve his defensive game, which is not surprising for a QMJHL player. Likes to drive to the net and has a great touch around it. Jumped one spot to finish the season as NHL Central Scouting's third-ranked North American prospect. Scouts say he does nothing at an elite level but produces consistently. More than one scout has likened his game to that of Ryan Smyth of the Edmonton Oilers. http://web.archive.org/web/20040627042231/http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/draft/

Last edited:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Picard had glimpses of being a Boll type of player. There was one game where I really keyed in on him and he was basically trying to hit everyone and ignoring the fact that the goal of hockey is to play the puck. There was one shift were he went for a hit and essentially missed the guy and the Ducks went on an oddman break the other way. He had two 40 goal seasons in the Q, but he seemed like all he wanted to do was prove how physical he could play and how many hits he could get each shift.

Picard's skating style was strange from being a speed skater. He wasn't a fluid skater, but he did have okay speed until the injury.

This was the Central Scouting blurb about Picard from 2004:

"Skates in bent-over fashion but has a good stride, fine balance and deceptive speed. He can beat opposing defensemen to the outside. ... His strength allows him to charge the net well and make cuts to different directions quickly. ... On the power play, he is effective in establishing position in front of the net. ... A good leader who can take hits and dish them out, too." http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/draft/2004-06-25-first-round-capsules_x.htm

Bob Mackenzie's blurb about Picard from the 2004 draft:
Lowdown: "Hard-working" is a phrase used often to describe this product of the Quebec Junior League who led his team in scoring in just his second full season. Adroit skater and confident puck-carrier, he needs to improve his defensive game, which is not surprising for a QMJHL player. Likes to drive to the net and has a great touch around it. Jumped one spot to finish the season as NHL Central Scouting's third-ranked North American prospect. Scouts say he does nothing at an elite level but produces consistently. More than one scout has likened his game to that of Ryan Smyth of the Edmonton Oilers. http://web.archive.org/web/20040627042231/http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/draft/

Three more:

"He has above-average puck skills, good offensive instincts, and a great shot. While he has good skill, I would not define him as a creative player...He can be effective in front of the net, as he has good hand-eye coordination, and a quality power game that helps him establish body position...His skating is roughly average; he has some poor mechanics, but decent speed. He also needs to work on his defensive game." - Hockey Prospectus

"Possesses NHL size and a knack for scoring goals... Good player in traffic and has a strong net presence... Needs to show a more consistent compete level... Skating an area of development." - The Scouting Report

"start-up speed is still a tad awkward though as he really has to scratch and dig into the ice .. goes to the front of the net without hesitation .. however, his defensive consistency needs to improve .. gets caught standing still and watching his man – even though he has a good sense of detail to the play unfolding around him .." - McKeens

Those actually aren't Picard reports from 2003-04, those are Kerby Rychel reports from 2012-13.

I've often wondered about Picard. If he'd been drafted in 1998 and played in an NHL era where the pace was plodding and someone who could excel in traffic, would he have thrived? If he were just breaking in now, could he do it? Instead, he had the bad fortune of being an obsolete style of player quite literally the moment he was drafted. The NHL was opening up dramatically, and he lacked the speed and elusiveness to do anything. He wasn't creative enough, his playmaking skills weren't there, and his skating was like watching a puppy with paws too big for his body.

3 goals = chili

Jan 14, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Did we take a flier on Sergei Mozyakin knowing he wouldn't ever come to the NHL and if he did we had his rights?

Not saying that counts as a bust but got me thinking.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
What? Did you mean prior to Howson?

Howson picks in the NHL
Jakub Voracek 1st
Cody Goloubef 2nd
Matt Calvert 5th
Cam Atkinson 6th
John Moore 1st
David Savard 4th
Ryan Johansen 1st
Dalton Prout 6th
Boone Jenner 2nd
Ryan Murray 1st

It could have been better, but far from "the definition of failure".

Also as others have said Mason and Brassard are far from busts.

Exactly what I was thinking. The drafting got better with Howson. The development started to improve with Howson, but got significantly better during Jarmo's tenure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad