GDT: WCSF | IV | "Make It So" | Oilers vs. Canucks | 4.14.24 | 7:30PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Usually I have no problem with going to the mains and reading what the other fanbases have to say about hockey and even the Oilers. Kings fans last round were actually a pleasant surprise and had good insight on why that series went the way it did. Hell, Flames fans weren’t even that bad during the BoA two years ago.

Canucks fans on the other hand…

The amount of braggadocio and vitriol that comes from that fan base here and on Twitter is just too much for me. Not to mention the constant victim complex mentality they have, that the refs and the league are out to get them. With the quote from Zadorov this morning along with all the whining from their media, it’s easy to see where they get it from. I gain nothing from interacting with it and it just makes me pissed more than anything lol

If things don't go well......they might go into rebuild mode.

And I am not talking about the team ;)

Reactions: frag2 and Drai Fi

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yes the nucks fan base and media are insufferable never knew they were this bad. Worst I can remember. Explains the riots that’s for sure
You don't know enough Nucks fans personally I take it. They are by far the worse out of any I know.

At least the Calgary fans I know personally aren't complete dicks about it.

I get that message boards come across differently, but by far the Nucks fans are the worse in real life. Like how can the whole Oilers team be garbage including McDavid, yet the Oilers are in round 2?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
If the rumor of 11/7 being a possibility is true, my guess is that Ekholm is a little banged up so they want to reduce his mins. Brobeg likely plays some shifts on the left side in that case, not to replace Ceci.

Let's see who gets in between Broberg and Stecher.
Imo Stecher makes a lot more sense, as it's the RHD that's getting exposed in transition. Plus he has some history of looking good in the playoffs, funny enough against the Oil back when he was the Kings.

As for lines...

Drai-McDavid-Hyman
Janmark-RNH-Kane
Foegele-McLeod-Ryan
Holloway-McDrai-Perry

... makes a lot of sense to me.

Despite their lack of offence, the middle 6 has at least been rock solid defensively. Meanwhile I don't think Drai is healthy enough to centre his own line full-time, but utilising a "quasi" 2nd line where he and McDavid take turns between Holloway and Perry to disrupt matchups should be fine.

I have Janmark pencilled in on the 2nd line, but I'd expect to see Holloway and Perry get more than a few shifts in that spot too. I just have him there as the safe "default" option.

The goal should be every forward breaks 10 minutes and is invovled in the game.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Desharnais is either playing like ass and/or injured. Elevating him doesn't help.
He's already elevated. Nurse and ceci most minutes this series are against Garland, Lindholm, Joshua.... that's Vancouver third line lmfao.

I get that the dude is a lightning rod, but it's not his fault that Nurse Ceci are getting cooked by two plugs and Lindholm (who's not even an offensive minded C).

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
He's already elevated. Nurse and ceci most minutes this series are against Garland, Lindholm, Joshua.... that's Vancouver third line lmfao.

I get that the dude is a lightning rod, but it's not his fault that Nurse Ceci are getting cooked by two plugs and Lindholm (who's not even an offensive minded C).

Yeah the problems are really Nurse/Ceci not holing up their part of the deal, and then the downstream effects of that.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Oilers have played tentative up to this point and have allowed the nucks to be a part of these games. Oilers are better than that and should dominate from start to finish. After Drai's comments yesterday, I'm expecting a big game from him and the whole team tonight.

Must Win.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Brad Holland is actually pretty good. Would distance his connection to his dad but he's a big part of the analytics and was a big reason Kulak, Ekholm, Henrique and Hyman are here. Bjugstad also i believe was a Brad move. Foegele looks to be one of his misses so far though.
Think this guy's impact gets overrated. Hyman was a zero brainer. Top 4 d was an obvious need and they were deep on Ekholm and Chychrun which became the GM's negotiation to get it done for Ekholm. Can't divorce the job responsibility for the collossal bungle on Campbell especially knowing Holland JR was/is based in Toronto. Lots of complaining about this deadline's targeting of Henrique and Carrick which were telegraphed for a long way before the deal was pulled.

Pro scouting need to identify and find latent talent around the margins. Not simply obvious cornerstone players with well established NHL results to fill obvious roster holes. Have to find the guys languishing in other systems who have the will, character, and upside on their abilities to give more with fresh opportunity. Where's this team's Dakota Joshua as a realtime example?

Reactions: Shanahanigans

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Oilers have played tentative up to this point and have allowed the nucks to be a part of these games. Oilers are better than that and should dominate from start to finish. After Drai's comments yesterday, I'm expecting a big game from him and the whole team tonight.

Must Win.
I mean he's already been a beast and I really can't expect him to do more than he's doing or even keep it up for that matter.

The rest of the team needs to be better as these guys can't be playing half the game for much longer

How does Mcleod keep drawing in for the 3rd line, he's the definition of absolute 0.
Not a lot of alternatives

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Let's see who gets in between Broberg and Stecher.
Imo Stecher makes a lot more sense, as it's the RHD that's getting exposed in transition. Plus he has some history of looking good in the playoffs, funny enough against the Oil back when he was the Kings.

As for lines...

Drai-McDavid-Hyman
Janmark-RNH-Kane
Foegele-McLeod-Ryan
Holloway-McDrai-Perry

... makes a lot of sense to me.

Despite their lack of offence, the middle 6 has at least been rock solid defensively. Meanwhile I don't think Drai is healthy enough to centre his own line full-time, but utilising a "quasi" 2nd line where he and McDavid take turns between Holloway and Perry to disrupt matchups should be fine.

I have Janmark pencilled in on the 2nd line, but I'd expect to see Holloway and Perry get more than a few shifts in that spot too. I just have him there as the safe "default" option.

The goal should be every forward breaks 10 minutes and is invovled in the game.
Having janmark in the top six neutered McDavid you may as well make it a one line team again if these are the lines

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If the rumor of 11/7 being a possibility is true, my guess is that Ekholm is a little banged up so they want to reduce his mins. Brobeg likely plays some shifts on the left side in that case, not to replace Ceci.
Sure, but also it gives them an excuse to play Ceci 2 to 7 minutes tonight.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021

Must Win.
Drai has been the best player in the playoffs already

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
RNH - McDavid - Hyman
Holloway - Draisaitl - Kane
Janmark - Gagner - Perry
Carrick - Ryan - Brown

Line 3 and 4 guys interchangeable.

Ekholm - Bouch
Nurse - Stetcher
Kulak - Desharnais

Mcleod can learn to stop playing like a bitch.
Foegele can learn to play with a brain
Ceci gross

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
100% agree, Draisaitl and McDavid are doing as much as they can. Where the hell are the rest of these clowns? When are they going to show up? Stop f***ing around every shift just filling time, waiting for your turn to end so you can get those two on the ice. Wake the f*** up, contribute meaningfully every damn shift, be dialed in on the details of defence, offence, puck management, boxing your guy out properly, good sticks in lanes, etc etc.

If the rest of these assholes don't contribute there's no f***ing way we're getting out of this series. So get a f***ing clue and wake up, fellas.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yes the nucks fan base and media are insufferable never knew they were this bad. Worst I can remember.
They’ve always been this bad. They just disappeared for a decade when their team sucked. Now that they are having a moment of success they’ve all crawled back out of whatever holes they’ve been hiding in since the “glory days” of the Sedins and Kesler and Bieksa etc.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Big game tonight. They need to show up ready to play a tough game that doesn't cross the line, which is easier said than done

I also find it amusing that Zadorov is talking smack about the Soucy suspension. There appears to be no realization the he's the main reason why his teammate was suspended. Soucy was intending to cross-check McDavid in the chest, but Zadorov inserts himself into a one-on-one situation with a cheap shot from behind that causes an unexpected McDavid to stumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad