Rumor: Blue Jackets looking at Ryan Kesler?

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Duby is an untouchable for you?

Not necessarily untouchable, however his significant improvement on the ice and role in changing the culture of the team makes me leary of moving him for a player who plays a similar game who is older with a significant injury history. I just think that VAn would be asking for Dubi and another significant piece which I think could end up being a bad deal for the jackets, particularly if Dubi continues to improve his play.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Not necessarily untouchable, however his significant improvement on the ice and role in changing the culture of the team makes me leary of moving him for a player who plays a similar game who is older with a significant injury history. I just think that VAn would be asking for Dubi and another significant piece which I think could end up being a bad deal for the jackets, particularly if Dubi continues to improve his play.

I like Dubi a lot and I do think he has helped change the culture here. I'm not saying trade him, but Dubi is a bit of a tweener - 2nd and 3rd liner on a top team). But give me Kesler paired with Horton and RyJo and you have a potent top line line backed by Gabby on the second line. I think Pete pointe out on another thread that Horton and Gabby both prefer RW and While labeled a C, Kesler has played LW with the Sedins).

He definitely improves this team if it doesn't take us backward in losing key assets, especially of draft picks can be leveraged.....I don't want to trade Cam though as I still think he has breakthrough potential that I want to keep.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I like Dubi a lot and I do think he has helped change the culture here. I'm not saying trade him, but Dubi is a bit of a tweener - 2nd and 3rd liner on a top team). But give me Kesler paired with Horton and RyJo and you have a potent top line line backed by Gabby on the second line. I think Pete pointe out on another thread that Horton and Gabby both prefer RW and While labeled a C, Kesler has played LW with the Sedins).

He definitely improves this team if it doesn't take us backward in losing key assets, especially of draft picks can be leveraged.....I don't want to trade Cam though as I still think he has breakthrough potential that I want to keep.

I don't want Kesler, but if we did trade for him, I wouldn't put him on Johansen and Horton's line.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
That would be a worst case scenario in my mind. Can't get him and he ends up with a division rival. Shero will make it happen, because Mario will tell him to make it happen.

Huh? That would be best case, IMO. Pittsburgh is a team we can't compete with right now anyway and we don't give up a crazy package to get him.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
McKenzie tweeted that the Canucks asking price is a young, established NHL center 20-25, top prospect preferably a forward and a first round pick. Obviously we aren't trading Johansen, so that leaves Anisimov and Jenner. If the Canucks hold firm, that will take us out of the running I think.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Huh? That would be best case, IMO. Pittsburgh is a team we can't compete with right now anyway and we don't give up a crazy package to get him.

I'm baffled by this response. So basically you'd be okay with pissing away 10 points a year because we can't compete. I can appreciate that you like prospects, but I'm sorry, there is no way I would let an 18 year old prospect get in the way of putting a winner on the ice now. 14 years of losing is long enough for me, but not for you. I would deal Anisimov, Wennberg and our first and third this year. If Edler is in play, I would even look at dealing JMFJ. If the front office thinks this deal gets them in the playoffs and wins at least one series, they can deal with the repercussions later. Flame away.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
McKenzie tweeted that the Canucks asking price is a young, established NHL center 20-25, top prospect preferably a forward and a first round pick. Obviously we aren't trading Johansen, so that leaves Anisimov and Jenner. If the Canucks hold firm, that will take us out of the running I think.

As much as I like Kessler and would like him on this team, the asking price is too high - though they may get it but to me more reasonable would be a C a la Anisimov and a 1st rounder OR high prospect, not necessarily on the main roster. It may be that I'm "whistling Dixie" and that's a non starter to a deal, but that's where I lean.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I saw a proposal on the mains from a VAN fan asking for Anisimov + Rychel + 1st. Anyone find that more palatable??

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I saw a proposal on the mains from a VAN fan asking for Anisimov + Rychel + 1st. Anyone find that more palatable??

Umm, DJ.....Would sure prefer the 1st be a 2nd......otherwise I feel like we are trading two 1sts.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I'm baffled by this response. So basically you'd be okay with pissing away 10 points a year because we can't compete. I can appreciate that you like prospects, but I'm sorry, there is no way I would let an 18 year old prospect get in the way of putting a winner on the ice now. 14 years of losing is long enough for me, but not for you. I would deal Anisimov, Wennberg and our first and third this year. If Edler is in play, I would even look at dealing JMFJ. If the front office thinks this deal gets them in the playoffs and wins at least one series, they can deal with the repercussions later. Flame away.

I don't know why I am even responding as you clearly didn't even get what I was saying. My point is this. You said it was worts case scenario. How can it be worst case when he would be going to a team that 1, we aren't competing with for a playoff spot, and 2, we can't beat right now anyway? That is far from worst case. Fact is, I am not giving away a bunch of our future to try to just make the playoffs this year. I get it. You think Kesler is as good as Vancouver fans are trying to sell him as. I don't.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

Anisimov, Dano, and 1st

or

Anisimov, Rychel, and 2nd

I'd do it, I guess. I really don't want Kesler though.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Can't pull the trigger fast enough on that AA + Rychel + 1st deal, been saying that for a while now. I actually proposed that some 2 or 3 Kesler threads ago on the mains and Nucks fans seemed to at least not balk at it. They wanted Wennberg when I inquired but he's just off limits for me.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Why is this a rumor and not speculation?

Semantics, that's why.

For Kesler, I'd be hesitant to give up too much ... as has been mentioned, there are injury concerns abound; plus rumor/speculation about the Penguins:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=445054

“A proposed deal would send Kesler to the Penguins in exchange for Brandon Sutter, two 2014 draft picks — likely a first- and third-round — and the Canucks' choice of defensemen Simon Despres or Brian Dumoulin,†Rossi wrote on Saturday.

No way to I try to outbid that package. Comparable would be Anisimov, Erixon/Savard, and a 1st and 3rd ... and that would just be an even deal ... we would have to add to that deal to outbid, if speculation is correct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad