Rumor: Blue Jackets looking at Ryan Kesler?

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Reports are that the Canucks have informed some teams, including Toronto and Columbus, that Kesler will not waive to go there.

CKNW980SPORTS ‏@CKNW980SPORTS 14m
According to the Province newspaper, Ryan Kesler will not waive his no trade clause to join the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Can't say I'm disappointed with the news, considering the expected price tag.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Reports are that the Canucks have informed some teams, including Toronto and Columbus, that Kesler will not waive to go there.

CKNW980SPORTS ‏@CKNW980SPORTS 14m
According to the Province newspaper, Ryan Kesler will not waive his no trade clause to join the Columbus Blue Jackets.

The Mike Gillis Amateur Hour continues.

I won't even get into the Luongo/Schneider history, because we all know it. But with Kesler here, we have reports directly from the respective camps that he:
- Will not waive an NTC for anywhere in Canada, and
- Will not waive for Columbus, who was reported to have serious interest

Now, the feeling that I've had all along is that someone in Pennsylvania will pony up a huge amount for Kesler, with a third team probably in the running who no one's looking at. But to basically have a big chunk of the trade market pared out immediately, to the point of other teams being informed (directly or indirectly) who's in and who's out, further underscores the fact that Gillis has no clue how to navigate the trade market.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
What exactly happened to RJ and Kesler?

IDK if this is 100% accurate but RJ thought he was hot **** after being drafted by the Canucks, held out for a larger rookie deal. And when Kesler accepted the same contract the Nucks were offering RJ, he took it as a shot, and RJ's agent slammed Kesler for selling out. Which is a shame, they were good friends and linemates I believe.

Qualls22

Jan 25, 2014
Grove City, Ohio
IDK if this is 100% accurate but RJ thought he was hot **** after being drafted by the Canucks, held out for a larger rookie deal. And when Kesler accepted the same contract the Nucks were offering RJ, he took it as a shot, and RJ's agent slammed Kesler for selling out. Which is a shame, they were good friends and linemates I believe.

Ahhh I gotcha thanks for the info.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Funny how I, and some others, didn't want him and everybody thought we weren't very smart. Now, no one wants him. :sarcasm:

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Funny how I, and some others, didn't want him and everybody thought we weren't very smart. Now, no one wants him. :sarcasm:

I would still love to have Kesler, he would make us significantly better IMO. I know that you don't see it that way, you've made that clear, I'm not arguing that. However, if he doesn't want to play for the Jackets, then eff him and move on. There are other options (not as good IMO) but GMJK will make the moves he feels will make this club better now and beyond.

CrazyCanucks

Jun 8, 2005

If that was true, then i'm glad Brian Burke told Umburger to walk. Kesler was the better player, and has shown why. Umburger seems like an ass in that situation, not Kesler

He is a great player, but his time has come to end here in Van. Like TJ Oshie said last week, 29 other teams would love to have him. Plus he is not overpaid, he is only making 5 million, as he and other Canucks including the Sedins took less than Market Value to build the Canucks core to what it was.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If that was true, then i'm glad Brian Burke told Umburger to walk. Kesler was the better player, and has shown why. Umburger seems like an ass in that situation, not Kesler

He is a great player, but his time has come to end here in Van. Like TJ Oshie said last week, 29 other teams would love to have him. Plus he is not overpaid, he is only making 5 million, as he and other Canucks including the Sedins took less than Market Value to build the Canucks core to what it was.

Yes it was RJ's fault. RJ is quoted to saying in some interview that he's surprised Kesler has continued the grudge because it "Was strictly business". But you know, it is what it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad