Blue Jackets hire Brad Larsen as their next head coach

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
This must be kind of a let down for the players as well. It could be taken as the front office not having much faith in them.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Nice to see an old new name, as a former Avs fan this hits home for me.

Don't expect him to do much with the Jackets though. But I pretty much see them heading down to the basement next season.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
HF: "It's ridiculous how the NHL keeps recycling the same coaches over and over again, hockey is clearly an old boy's club"

Also HF: "lol who is this guy I've never heard of him why would they hire him"
Almost like the same people who want the league to keep their old recycled coaches are behind the 2nd comment, also, HF isn't some hive mind with an unanimous opinion either

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Gallant, Larsen, Tocchet, Quinn confirmed

Hartley, Jalonen, Valucci unconfirmed

Based of reporting today, Gallant was potentially the #1 choice, but appears to be off to NYR. And Larsen was the next one up.
Source claiming Gallant was #1 choice?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
how exactly is this a bad signing? I don't why people have an issue with this. He has no track record. He was also their assistant when they swept the lighting and beat the Leafs.

A lot of coaches come from being assistants.

Reactions: thebus88

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
HF: "It's ridiculous how the NHL keeps recycling the same coaches over and over again, hockey is clearly an old boy's club"

To be fair, a seven year assistant coach being promoted to head coaching duties doesn't exactly scream radical new ideas. But yeah, certainly more interesting that hiring Mike Yeo or whatever.

I wonder what standards he'll be judged by. Assuming Jones goes, it does seem like a tough spot to start your head coaching career. OTOH, expectations should be reasonable and maybe after a few years of Torts (who IIRC many CBJ fans had grown tired of), playing a bit more of an open game with respectable may be good enough for now. Maybe he even gets Laine going, though it doesn't seem to be a coach thing with him.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Looks like a good hire to me. Resume-wise he seems plenty qualified. I guess one issue is he’s not exactly a new voice for the locker room, but he is already familiar with the players so that’s a plus. Pretty much his entire career he played under Bob Hartley so I figure some of his style rubbed off on him, for better or worse.

Sullivan was Torts’s long time assistant and became a good head coach.

Yeah this site is dumb as hell.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
how exactly is this a bad signing? I don't why people have an issue with this. He has no track record. He was also their assistant when they swept the lighting and beat the Leafs.

He was also there when Todd Richards and Ken Hitchcock were there.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018

It's not a bad signing in that Larsen would be a 'bad' head coach, it's a bad signing for him to be the head coach in Columbus after being assistant coach their for 7 years. Look back to Detroit when Scotty Bowman retired and they promoted assistant coach Dave Lewis.....effectively the team is trying to benchmark a great experienced coach with his protégé but historically it almost never improves the team - typically the opposite. (Joel Q / Mike Kitchen is another good example).

It likely would have been better to hire from outside the Org and then have Larsen take a HC position elsewhere. As it stands the most likely 'best-case-scenario' is for Larsen to continue what Torts had accomplished, which was basically being a bubble team. With all the talent that has left, and may be leaving soon, the decision to basically 'make due' with what was left after Torts was not resigned means that Jarmo is likely going to spend the next 3 years rebuilding and using that time to evaluate if Larsen is a viable HC. Again, I'm not bagging on Larsen, just saying that since he's been in that locker room for 7 years already, its highly doubtful that the team is going to improve under him in any way (granted, it doesn't matter who their coach is, I think they underperformed this year and will put up slightly better numbers next season regardless). Larsen earned a head coaching position, it just shouldn't be with Columbus at this time.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's not a bad signing in that Larsen would be a 'bad' head coach, it's a bad signing for him to be the head coach in Columbus after being assistant coach their for 7 years. Look back to Detroit when Scotty Bowman retired and they promoted assistant coach Dave Lewis.....effectively the team is trying to benchmark a great experienced coach with his protégé but historically it almost never improves the team - typically the opposite. (Joel Q / Mike Kitchen is another good example).

I've never thought of Larsen as Torts' protégé. Torts' protégé was Mike Sullivan, who went with him from job to job.

I'm hoping that Larsen is more like Dean Evason, who is obviously coming off a great season.

To be fair, a seven year assistant coach being promoted to head coaching duties doesn't exactly scream radical new ideas.

Let's say you have a brilliant assistant coach and they have radical ideas. What does that look like? Give me an example. I'm sure some assistant coach somewhere has very good ideas. Let's come up with some names.

The reason I can't think of any is because assistant coaches don't get to do big ideas. Their minor ideas might get play around the edges, but for the most part they're helping to implement the head coach's plans. We don't even know what ideas they have until they get the top job.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Like every Finn has said multiple times, would have been glorious chance to try Jukka Jalonen.

I'm sure Kekäläinen knows both well and just went with the safer choice.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Seems like a guy that paid his dues. Also sounds like there was a process so I don't know that I see anything wrong with this hiring.

Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad