Proposal: Blue Jackets-Flyers

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Why are you obsessed with retaining as little as possible on Hayes? The Flyers aren't contending for a cup after 1 year. Having 3 years of dead space on Kevin Hayes is really not a factor even if the Flyers got lucky and was somehow a contender with 1 year left of dead space.

The point of rebuilding is to get as many assets/tickets to the lottery as fast as you can.
Team don’t generally retain 50% on deals with 3 or more years left on them it’s not good business to have over 3.5mil of dead cap on the books for that long that is a big factor.

I could see if Hayes had only 1 season left on his deal but Hayes still has 3 season left on his deal after this season.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
Where does this meme about Hayes contract sucking come from? He's on pace for 60+ points as a big C on the most dysfunctional team in the NHL. Did anyone other than Panarin or Seth Jones do better under Torts in Columbus than Hayes is doing under Torts in Philly? If Hayes was a UFA plenty of teams would be lining up to sign him for 6x3 which is what his contract would be after retention.

Hayes on Roslovic would be a big upgrade for Columbus, Hayes and Gaudreau should fit nicely together and go way back

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I could see if Hayes had only 1 season left on his deal but Hayes still has 3 season left on his deal after this season.

Which is why it is not a good contract and why the CBJ (or any other team) shouldn’t take him without a major sweetener or lots of retention. He’ll be 31 before the start of next season with three years of a $7.14 million cap hit.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Where does this meme about Hayes contract sucking come from? He's on pace for 60+ points as a big C on the most dysfunctional team in the NHL. Did anyone other than Panarin or Seth Jones do better under Torts in Columbus than Hayes is doing under Torts in Philly? If Hayes was a UFA plenty of teams would be lining up to sign him for 6x3 which is what his contract would be after retention.

Hayes on Roslovic would be a big upgrade for Columbus, Hayes and Gaudreau should fit nicely together and go way back

You ever watch the guy play?

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Hayes has pretty strong ties to Boston who I think could offer more useful pieces for the rebuild. Hayes particularly with retention is a valuable piece. Picks and prospects are what the flyers would want

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think it will be Hayes at $4m (44% retention) for Roslovic + 4th at the draft.

KH + JG will be a good combo in CBJ.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hayes has pretty strong ties to Boston who I think could offer more useful pieces for the rebuild. Hayes particularly with retention is a valuable piece. Picks and prospects are what the flyers would want
I don't think you're going to get that kind of haul for Hayes, even at 50%.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
What is the story with Marcus Bjork could be potentially become a full time NHLer at some point or will be return to Sweden in the offseason as an unsigned RFA, he was a former teammate of Sam Ersson with Brynäs in the SHL.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
Dont think you will see a long list of Blue Jacket fans excited to ultimately do Philly a favor. 6.1 mil for 3 more years for a skilled but very lazy player is not exciting at all
Flyers have enough lazy players. Pass

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
If Briere is serious enough to rebuild the Flyers then long term cap space would be the highest necessity, other teams that were or are rebuilding dumped cap rather then retained cap while trying to get something from it.

Roslovic wouldn’t be a long term need for the Flyers either as he could be fliped at the next deadline for a pick.
Blackhawks just retained 2M (50%) on Jake McCabe for 3 years.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

Seriously. He's not perfect but people seem to overlook that he still puts up a good amount of points, bad undesirable teams have to overpay to attract talent, the UFA market is brutal and a 3 years term isn't that bad especially in comparison to guys who've signed recently such as Strome, Copp and Horvat.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Seriously. He's not perfect but people seem to overlook that he still puts up a good amount of points, bad undesirable teams have to overpay to attract talent, the UFA market is brutal and a 3 years term isn't that bad especially in comparison to guys who've signed recently such as Strome, Copp and Horvat.

He puts up an OK amount of points. And that's all he does, yet he doesn't even score consistently. This year he was over a point per game at about the 35 game mark and yet he'll finish the year with under 60 points. He's maligned because he's a lazy floater who does not make really make his linemates better or do anything of value when he isn't scoring.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
He's a puck hog but he's good in transition and along the wall in the offensive zone. He'd be best in a physical support role in the top 6 or as a 3c on a team without much depth. At full retention he's a tremendous value in either of those roles
He puts up an OK amount of points. And that's all he does. Does literally nothing else well, and doesn't even score consistently. This year he was over a point per game at about the 35 game mark and yet he'll finish the year with under 60 points. He's maligned because he's a lazy floater who does not make really make his linemates better

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
He's a puck hog but he's good in transition and along the wall in the offensive zone. He'd be best in a physical support role in the top 6 or as a 3c on a team without much depth. At full retention he's a tremendous value in either of those roles
haha what are you talking about? he doesn't win those battles and he barely ever enters them. he's one of the most contact-averse players in the league. height and weight be damned.

he's still good value for the production at half price, but as you sort of lay out, he's essentially only of use in complementary roles.

Last edited:

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
I am one that thinks that a stop gap like RyJo or Kevin Hayes might make sense for the Jackets. But they have to get something pretty good in return. Like $1 million retained Hayes plus Florida’s 2024 first round draft pick for Roslovic. Without a major sweetener or serious retention, it is not a move the Jackets should make.
Hayes with half retention has value in this league. With Charles Entertainment Fletcher gone, there won't be sweetners for a very long time.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
He puts up an OK amount of points. And that's all he does, yet he doesn't even score consistently. This year he was over a point per game at about the 35 game mark and yet he'll finish the year with under 60 points. He's maligned because he's a lazy floater who does not make really make his linemates better or do anything of value when he isn't scoring.
He definitely is far from perfect and is slotted too high on the depth chart in Philly.

However, for teams desperate for an offensive C what are the other options without giving up a boatload of assets?

Hayes has 3 years left on his deal at a 7.14 cap hit but is owed less in real dollars (17M total). If he was a free agent a team would definitely offer him somewhat in that range. Probably more term but a bit less dollars. Also remember bad teams usually have to overpay and/or overterm to attract players. Once again that 3 year term is key.

A 5 or 6 year deal at 5M to 6M seems to be the going rate for a 2nd line type. Witness Palat, Stroke, Copp, Burakovsky and Rakell. Hayes make more money but the shorter term is more attractive in many ways.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
He definitely is far from perfect and is slotted too high on the depth chart in Philly.

However, for teams desperate for an offensive C what are the other options without giving up a boatload of assets?

Hayes has 3 years left on his deal at a 7.14 cap hit but is owed less in real dollars (17M total). If he was a free agent a team would definitely offer him somewhat in that range. Probably more term but a bit less dollars. Also remember bad teams usually have to overpay and/or overterm to attract players. Once again that 3 year term is key.

A 5 or 6 year deal at 5M to 6M seems to be the going rate for a 2nd line type. Witness Palat, Stroke, Copp, Burakovsky and Rakell. Hayes make more money but the shorter term is more attractive in many ways.

He's been playing 3LW for the last ~3 months so he's barely on the Flyers depth chart at all. His PPG start was largely scraped off of Travis Konecny: When the injuries started for TK and Torts got tired of Hayes' sluggish habits, his season might as well have ended.

And I agree, there are limited options out there. He does have value at a certain price point. But some of the guys you listed have additional contributions (Burakovsky, for instance, is a much better overall player even as a W) while Hayes brings very little utility at the C position and can't be looked at as the offensive engine on a line. I'm not even sure he's "a 2nd line type."

CBJ will likely acquire him and Johnny G will be thrilled to have his buddy, and they'll slap them on the line together and Kevin will collect 67 points off of Johnny's 95, but that line will be absolutely abysmal the second they turn the puck over and they'll somehow manage to cede more goals than they create.

Is that a benefit? Sure, you'll have a happy Johnny and a guy who scored like 67 points. But he's not a top 6 player on a serious playoff team and he doesn't provide much of anything you want for the bottom 6. He just is who he is. A very "but what's the point?" player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
He's been playing 3LW for the last ~3 months so he's barely on the Flyers depth chart at all. His PPG start was largely scraped off of Travis Konecny: When the injuries started for TK and Torts got tired of Hayes' sluggish habits, his season might as well have ended.

And I agree, there are limited options out there. He does have value at a certain price point. But some of the guys you listed have additional contributions (Burakovsky, for instance, is a much better overall player even as a W) while Hayes brings very little utility at the C position and can't be looked at as the offensive engine on a line. I'm not even sure he's "a 2nd line type."

CBJ will likely acquire him and Johnny G will be thrilled to have his buddy, and they'll slap them on the line together and Kevin will collect 67 points off of Johnny's 95, but that line will be absolutely abysmal the second they turn the puck over and they'll somehow manage to cede more goals than they create.

Is that a benefit? Sure, you'll have a happy Johnny and a guy who scored like 67 points. But he's not a top 6 player on a serious playoff team and he doesn't provide much of anything you want for the bottom 6. He just is who he is. A very "but what's the point?" player.
To be fair, his 49 points would be 2nd on our team right now. 67 points would be like 2/3rd with a full season of Laine and hopefully a Bedard

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
I think to be able to trade Hayes without sweeteners, +35% retention will be in order. Or a call to Hextall.

Regardless of return, to a degree, I believe Briere needs to deal Hayes. Tortorella ain't going anywhere and I cannot see a Torts/Hayes duo not completely im/exploding before his contract is up. Hayes might be more of an addition by subtraction at this stage. I dunno, and I don't pretend to know. Just speculating

Kevin Hayes is a good player and just a really %^@#ing good dude. I would like for him to be able to get a fresh start.

Another good selling point for Hayes is his cap is higher than actual salary $6.5M next season and $5.25M(salary & bonus) for the remaining two years. Although a 12 team no trade list, but I would guess at this point Hayes would submit a GM friendly list to work with.
Kevin Hayes Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Trading for Hayes and helping Philly out of that contract (even with $1M retention) seems like a not great idea for Columbus. However...they've made a pretty clear move toward trying to contend right now. Next season, they'll have Werenski back and that will be big. As well as having had some more time to figure out how Gaudreau fits and get acclimatized. Probably adding a very good player at the top of the draft. But they still have a pretty glaring weakness down the middle. You're not gonna make any noise without doing something to upgrade their Center situation.

If you take a real hard look at the other options out there...i'm not sure what else they can realistically do to address it ASAP. Jenner+Roslovic is just not gonna get it done at a competitive level. Sillinger and Kent Johnson don't really seem like they're going to be the solution any time particularly soon. So there's not a real clear internal solution coming aside from potentially landing Bedard/Fantilli. But even with someone like that, you're still probably in the market for another "now" guy down the middle.

And realistically, there's very little out there in the way of Top-6 caliber Centers available. Free Agency is a total bust. There really isn't even a Top-6 Center available. The only other guy potentially available on the trade market is JT Miller (even more expensive for much longer). You could probably pry a guy like Johansen out of Nashville if you wanted to help them out of a bad contract, but i think Columbus have already been down that road. Same with Dubois obviously if he's even on his way anywhere other than Montreal.

Awkward position to be in. But Hayes would definitely make Columbus a much better team next year. They have the cap space for the time being, without any particularly huge other deals to get done. And bolstering that Center position is by far the biggest thing they can spend on to improve their team for next year. The advantage with Hayes "overpayment" is that unlike a new UFA deal, it's only got a little bit of term left on it at this point. So it doesn't handcuff you so much down the line.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I would be interested in trying to see what a Provorov & Hayes with retention deal would look like? We need a 2nd pair LD for 2-3 years.

Not that either would be ideal but they shouldn’t cost very much and Provorov in 2nd pair should stabilize our left side? Although I don’t know if he is a locker room enigma or what?

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I would be interested in trying to see what a Provorov & Hayes with retention deal would look like? We need a 2nd pair LD for 2-3 years.

Not that either would be ideal but they shouldn’t cost very much and Provorov in 2nd pair should stabilize our left side? Although I don’t know if he is a locker room enigma or what?

I highly doubt Provorov is going to be cheap. Hayes and Provorov aren't going to get packaged together to dump a contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad