Confirmed with Link: Blue Jackets extend Mathieu Olivier 2 yrs 1.1 million per season

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don't think Olivier returning means any of those things.

Foudy, and Bemstrom are under contract. They'll just get waived if they aren't in the top 13/14. Sillinger will need a strong offseason/camp. Danforth will have to continue to prove himself (he is good). Robinson is under contract and will have to prove himself also.

Bemstrom is perhaps unlikely to be in the top 13/14 but a couple injuries later and he could be in the starting lineup in mid October and play 70 games. Every year there are players that are in their mid twenties or later who make the NHL after being waiver fodder at some point.

I'm not sure there will be much intentional thinning of the herd this summer. I think they might just go into camp and see what happens. Perhaps a body or two will get moved then if there are no injuries. We were having the same conversation last year about the glut and the whole org ended up running out of players!
We had the same “too many guys” discussions last offseason. Can’t fault us I guess for wanting clarity and maybe achieving that clarity by also getting a singular higher-caliber player in the process.

But just because we can’t sort it out now doesn’t mean it has to be sorted out.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Thinking Robinson is on the way out, out of the regulars. I'm not counting Foudy or Bemstrom, they're gone regardless of this signing
I’m with you. Two of those three will be traded, waived or sent to Cleveland if they clear waivers. Robby would be the least apt to clear waivers.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Like the deal and the player. It might have been just a play or two but he really impressed me. This guy can actually play hockey, he is not just a meathead fighter. If he keeps improving I could see him climbing up to third line (or even higher :O).
Whoa Nellie pump the brakes, I am an Olivier fan but higher than third line?

anotherlurker

Oct 31, 2022
I'm thinking of a situation where half the team is injured and they try him for a game or two as a top6 tough guy :P and if that ever happens I will take all the credit for predicting that first.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
there is nothing wrong at all with him being a fourth liner! he's a good fourth liner!

vegas and florida both had guys at the bottom of their lineups who would look very out-of-place in a top six role, and those guys provided a ton of value. having third line type guys on the fourth line doesn't create as much excess value as people think. fit for the role supersedes talent at the margins of the lineup.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He's a 4th liner and he knows his role. Good teams have people who fill roles and meet needs. I'm good with this signing as long as they don't try to force him higher in the lineup.

Reactions: JacketsDavid and VT

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
He's a 4th liner and he knows his role. Good teams have people who fill roles and meet needs. I'm good with this signing as long as they don't try to force him higher in the lineup.
That's exactly it.
We need the gritty guys, guys that don't need 12 minutes a night. Likely in the press box a few times.

I'm not crazy about a 2 year deal, but he plays the right way and even as a 12/13/14 forward he understands his role.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
there is nothing wrong at all with him being a fourth liner! he's a good fourth liner!

vegas and florida both had guys at the bottom of their lineups who would look very out-of-place in a top six role, and those guys provided a ton of value. having third line type guys on the fourth line doesn't create as much excess value as people think. fit for the role supersedes talent at the margins of the lineup.
When did I say there was anything wrong with him being a fourth liner? I happen to agree he is a good fourth liner. In fact, I suspect he is working his tail off this off-season (because that's the kind of guy he is) and interested to see how his game has improved.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
When did I say there was anything wrong with him being a fourth liner? I happen to agree he is a good fourth liner. In fact, I suspect he is working his tail off this off-season (because that's the kind of guy he is) and interested to see how his game has improved.
the exclamation marks were me agreeing with you!

Reactions: Doggy

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3