Confirmed with Link: Blue Jackets extend Mathieu Olivier 2 yrs 1.1 million per season

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I expect he'll be in the pressbox more this season than last, but he's a perfect 13th forward who can draw in against heavier teams to help protect the younger guys, like every time Nick Cousins went after KJ when we played Florida last year. He's a good skater and isn't a liability in his own end. Every team has and needs guys like this.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Excellent! We need similar players. Maybe I will try to buy his jersey. Or Voronkov. :box:

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
jackets staff (particularly mccudden) did a great job of getting him to a place last year where he was playable. he can actually carry his weight on a fourth line while being picture-perfect for that kind of a role and bringing a lot of toughness.

not saying he's a skilled forward or will ever be a point producer, but his hands/offensive ability got noticeably better as the season went on last year. also looked like he added a lot of speed. good in the corners, good forechecker.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I like the signing too, it's a low/fair cap hit but he can be useful and he showed a surprising amount of skill last year I thought, some nice plays in addition to the other stuff. One way deal (like his previous deal) so that's guaranteed money, well deserved.

One more piece placed, now the rest of the puzzle...

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Better than Boll’s $1.8M x 3 deal. This isn’t all that much above league minimum for a consistent pro that serves a very specific role. Maybe $0.1M higher than it could’ve been but he earned it.

Expect more fights for the whole team this year with a more competitive team making our opponents angry, and having Voronkov in the lineup. Olivier will be needed.

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I’m okay with it I guess but we have such a glut of bottom/middle 6 guys

Olivier, Foudy, Bemstrom, Voronkov, Texier, Kuraly, Robinson, Sillinger, Danforth

Like what’s going on lol

Reactions: Cowumbus

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I’m okay with it I guess but we have such a glut of bottom/middle 6 guys

Olivier, Foudy, Bemstrom, Voronkov, Texier, Kuraly, Robinson, Sillinger, Danforth

Like what’s going on lol
Really gonna ask that after least season? What happened to our D is possible to our offense as well.

This also creates competition and anyone who can't make it can get moved for mid round picks.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Really gonna ask that after least season? What happened to our D is possible to our offense as well.

This also creates competition and anyone who can't make it can get moved for mid round picks.
Yeah I’m still going to ask that because most of those guys are one one way contracts and I’m not sure it’s feasible to keep all of them even if they clear waivers to go to Cleveland

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
$1.125 million of an NHL salary can be "buried" (not counted against the NHL cap) in the AHL. I'm not sure if there's a limit to the number of contracts that can be buried.

I don’t think they’re signing him to bury him (unless he earns that). I think this basically spells the end of Bemstroms even remote Chances though

I also can’t imagine this is good news to Foudy, Robinson, or Danforth though.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Love this deal. I've of the most improved players and the contact isn't an anchor or a deterrent for the press box or waivers but as a 2 year deal I don't think this is one they consider sending down regardless. Others were on borrowed time and will be moved or waived meir this one without dramatic improvement on their end.

Reactions: LJ7

anotherlurker

Oct 31, 2022
Like the deal and the player. It might have been just a play or two but he really impressed me. This guy can actually play hockey, he is not just a meathead fighter. If he keeps improving I could see him climbing up to third line (or even higher :O).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Thinking Robinson is on the way out, out of the regulars. I'm not counting Foudy or Bemstrom, they're gone regardless of this signing

I think this basically spells the end of Bemstroms even remote Chances though

I don't think Olivier returning means any of those things.

Foudy, and Bemstrom are under contract. They'll just get waived if they aren't in the top 13/14. Sillinger will need a strong offseason/camp. Danforth will have to continue to prove himself (he is good). Robinson is under contract and will have to prove himself also.

Bemstrom is perhaps unlikely to be in the top 13/14 but a couple injuries later and he could be in the starting lineup in mid October and play 70 games. Every year there are players that are in their mid twenties or later who make the NHL after being waiver fodder at some point.

I'm not sure there will be much intentional thinning of the herd this summer. I think they might just go into camp and see what happens. Perhaps a body or two will get moved then if there are no injuries. We were having the same conversation last year about the glut and the whole org ended up running out of players!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00