Post-Game Talk: Blue Jackets 5, Pens 3 - Playoffs?

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
We'd need a healthy D, Kunitz (or Comeau or both) in the bottom 6, better reffing, a functioning PP and Malkin to be fully recovered for that to happen.

And who would take the place of Kunitz and Comeau in the top six? Options would be Adams, Sutter, Bennett, Maxim, Downie and Spaling.

Adams is a 4th liner at best.

Sutter has no creative skills.

Maxim should not even be dressed.

Bennett still has not passed Pascal Dupius point production this season.

Downie is OK, strangely enough he does have some skill.

Spaling is just a 3rd liner at best.

There really ain't much to choose from.

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Can someone tell me what this team's identity is right now?

Are we a still a puck possession team? A forechecking team? A (lol) defense-first team? What exactly is the "system" we are running?

I've had this discussion with friends for weeks now, and it just seems like we don't have any sort of identity right now. We don't seem to have any sort of offensive or defensive system for our players to fit into, every shift looks like free-range playground hockey. No one seems to be on the same page. I understand that injuries have played a part in this, but there is no way it should make us look this disorganized.

Any info on what we're supposed to look like would be helpful.

BINGO

No identity

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Continuing the zero accountability culture of this organization would be enough to drive me insane, but I get what you are saying Jiggy. I get it. I do disagree with you about MT not holding people accountable. He made people live on the edge for their jobs. :laugh: In fact, i think he handled Subban very well.

But ultimately I will say now is better than later to create accountability. You are 10000% right, Jiggy, but i don't care. I want it started now. Not tomorrow. Not next season. Now.

I think MT created a culture of accountability, but that's why he is gone. I said MJ never did from day 1.

Maybe it goes higher up though. Kunitz and Scuds have been god awful, yet the org makes excuses for them and puts out their propaganda supporting their poor play. Adams should have retired 3 years ago, yet this org has put him on a pedestal.

Steigy saying Scuds rarely turns the puck over is the ultimate brainwashing. I swear he and Errey must be put in pods before the season and they undergo "conditioning".

**** is too deeply rooted right now for it to change this season, and maybe not for awhile if they don't take a really hard look in the mirror this off season.

plenewken

May 1, 2010
The debacle continues .......
I really wish we don't make the playoffs. I strongly believe it'll be the only way for the top brass to wake up and admit that there's something very wrong in the way this franchise operates, from top to bottom.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Thinking about that deal still turns my stomach. On a quality playoff team, Ben Lovejoy is a seventh defenseman. **** Rutherford and his 19 assistants.

I know. I thought I'd be over it by now. I mean, over the initial emotional feelings. But I just get angrier as more time passes, not better.

I actually agree that they played harder for DB. WE still knew how each season was going to end due to the fact DB refused to adjust or focus on defense.

I'm very very shocked at how the players are responding to MU.

Here's what's weird: Crosby and Geno and Letang play their ***** off. So does Hornqvist. The leadership group may not be buying in to MJ, but they aren't quitting/shutting him out.

So is that a coaching problem? Is that a leadership problem?

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
or is the roster top to bottom just not good enough and deep enough and the nhl era when two elite players could mask that fact are passed?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
or is the roster top to bottom just not good enough and deep enough and the nhl era when two elite players could mask that fact are passed?

My post was intended to be more open ended than it reads. I don't think it's a Sid/Geno/Leadership problem. I do think part of it is coaching. Not the coach, but the lack of respect for a 1st year guy fresh out of junior.

The problem is, as everyone has been saying, the bottom 70% of the roster.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
My post was intended to be more open ended than it reads. I don't think it's a Sid/Geno/Leadership problem. I do think part of it is coaching. Not the coach, but the lack of respect for a 1st year guy fresh out of junior.

The problem is, as everyone has been saying, the bottom 70% of the roster.

My concern is that the lack of respect comes from above and filters from there to the players. I wonder if hcmj sold his soul for a shot at an nhl head coaching gig

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
like you can't spend a thoughtful inquisitive life in hockey and not pick up on some of things that are clear to posters here

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
One could've argued for his canning a few months ago.

He should've been canned in the last few weeks, when there was still time.

If the Pens lay an egg against the Flyers, then he definitely should be canned immediately, but they'll use the 'not enough time' and 'what difference will it make' excuses.

To be honest with you Kirk the only way I see him getting canned this summer is if we miss the playoffs entirely. Otherwise they'll give him the benefit of the doubt for one more season, even if we get dismantled in the playoffs.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
It's pretty simple why he was hired. At best he was their third choice and nobody who wanted to be taken seriously was going to sign on for only two years.

Also seems kind of strange he went from an nhl assistant and associate position and then went to juniors. Kind of tells me teams felt he couldn't cut the mustard at this level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad